Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The first periscope used by the United States Navy was not built for a submarine. The ironclad monitor OSAGE utilized a periscope to discover a Confederate cavalry unit taking cover behind the high banks of the Red River in Arkansas.
Symptons
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Runner485
Posted 2009-09-20 9:58 AM (#31005)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Symptons

I'm writing this lookin back and as a warning to you guys not to ignore certain symptons....

11 Aug

I had a stroke tonight. (How the hell could that happen. I just went kayaking that afternoon and did about 5-6 miles and I felt great). All I felt was a slight pain behind my eyes and some dizziness, (both symptons) So I took two Excedrin's and went to bed(bad move on my part). When I woke the next morning, I found I couldn't move my right hand and foot easily, I stumbled out to the kitchen and attempted to make coffee, but couldn't. It wasn't until Elsie got up a few minutes later and asked me something and I responded in a slurred speech, she said we going to the ER.

By 8:15 I was on a gurney and being worked on. They told me I had a stroke and why the hell did I go back to bed the night before. They could have given me a shot and maybe broken up the clot that killed part of my brain. Simple reason was that I didn't recognize any of the symptoms of a stroke, so I went to bed.

I had an MRI and it confirmed the slurred speech and weak hand and foot. I had an infarction in the PONS area of the left brain and they saw an aneurysm behind my eyes. How long I had that I don't know. The neuro Doc who read the MRI said a stroke is like a gunshot wound to the head. Sometimes the bullet grazes you, sometimes it kills you. In my case it grazed me. I'm out of the rehab now and going to P.T. which I finish this week. I'm walking without a cane,walker or any device. I have slight balance issue's that should clear up eventually. All I need from my gatekeeper Doc is permission to drive, which I suspect will be soon.

I want to thank all of you for your cards, calls, good thoughts and prayers and the reason that I wrote this is a warning about strokes. It comes like a 'thief in the night", but it does give you some symptoms.

miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2009-09-20 10:12 AM (#31007 - in reply to #31005)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Symptons

Thank you, Joe, for telling us about your experience with this "silent killer".  It reminds all of us, now that we have reached a certain age, that we can't have TOO MUCH information concerning the how's, why's, where's, when's and who's (newspaper analogy, i think) that can help all of us.
dex armstrong
Posted 2009-09-20 11:18 AM (#31010 - in reply to #31005)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Will you and Elsie be able to make it to the Sirago Reunion?

Joe, Will you and that lovely bride of yours be able to make it to the SIRAGO Reunion in a couple of weeks down in Virginia Beach? Sincerely hope so. Solveig felt that you two made the two she attended the best submarine events she was ever taken two. She always remembered you coming aboard the dinner cruise ship...walking into the dining deck and hollering..."What an amazing invention...Some guy invented a ship you can see out of." And I remember going aft and finding you and a bunch of snipes hanging over the fantail filling your lungs with diesel smoke. You said,"Dex, point out Pier 22 when we get there." "Jeezus Joe, You can't remember Pier 22...How many times did you come in and put your lines over?" "Lots of times but down in the damn Engine Room, all piers looked the same." and all those grinning snipes grinned and started laughing. Never thought about that being a line handling jaybird. Joe, glad to hear that you are going to make a full recovery...If you make it to Virginia Beach, I'll buy thre drinks, beers, Pepto-Bismol, Malox...or whatever in the hell you're drinking these days...fermented prune juice....Castor Oil laced Margarita or Tylenol and Diesel Oil. Take it easy...get well...and get Elsie to toss you in your seabag and haul you down to Virginia Beach or just duct tape you to your vehicle roof. DEX
Runner485
Posted 2009-09-20 1:27 PM (#31013 - in reply to #31010)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Will you and Elsie be able to make it to the Sirago Reunion?

We'll be there with bells on.We are signed up and got us a room with a view. See you down there...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software