Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: In 1921, a United States submarine, the R-14, having run out of fuel at sea while looking for the missing tug USS Conestoga, rigged sails from blankets and hammocks sewn together. Bunk frames were used for yardarms and booms. The torpedo loading king post for a fore mast, the torpedo loading boom for a mizzen mast and the telescoping radio mast, for the main mast. The R-14 sailed 100 miles in five days to the port of Hilo, T.H. at a speed of two knots. It has been reported in March 2016 that the Conestoga has been located 3 miles off Southeast Farallon Island, probably sinking with-in a day of leaving port. All hands lost.
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

MAD DOG
Posted 2009-09-18 10:28 PM (#30958)

Master and Commander

Subject: ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Tis Talk Like A Pirate Day,all ye scalawags, wenches,and scurvy dogs.
(And ye Landlubbers as well)

Edited by MAD DOG 2009-09-18 11:00 PM
Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2009-09-19 5:53 AM (#30961 - in reply to #30958)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Funny, I thought the Somali Pirates sort of had a death rattle when they played with the SEALS.
RCK
Posted 2009-09-19 8:03 AM (#30965 - in reply to #30958)
Master and Commander

Aye! here's the official site for "Talk Like A Pirate Day". Of course no one has to pretend they're pirates cause sub sailors, no matter what country they come from, are pirates by nature!!! Pass the rum matey and enjoy the day!

http://www.talklikeapirate.com/

dex armstrong
Posted 2009-09-19 10:12 AM (#30966 - in reply to #30958)

COMSUBBBS

Hey, Maybe you guys can help me out....What'n the hell does "Shivver me timbers." mean? Also, since it's TALK LIKE A PIRATE DAY....and near Halloween, here's my favorite Halloween joke....Little boy comes to the door dressed like a pirate. He's a cute little kid standing there with his pirate hat, eye patch, scraggley whiskers and three foot cutlass...Man opens the door, looks at him...smiles..."Who are you?" "Im'a PIRATE." "No you can't be a PIRATE." "Am too, I'ma PIRATE." "Naw, If you're a pirate, where are your buccaneers?" "They're under my bucking hat." I've probably told that one before, but when you get close to getting in the Holland Club, you start repeating stuff. DEX
RCK
Posted 2009-09-19 10:40 AM (#30967 - in reply to #30958)
Master and Commander

Arrrrrrr, I slipped me moorings at sunrise and set my sails for sea so I be late with the answer.

Shiver my timbers
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Pray, Sir, is this the way to Stretchit?
"Shiver my top-sails, my Lass, if I know a better way."Shiver my timbers (usually pronounced shiver me timbers) is an exclamation in the form of a mock oath usually attributed to the speech of pirates in works of fiction. It is employed as a literary device by authors to express shock, surprise or annoyance. The phrase is based on real nautical slang and is a reference to the timbers, which are the wooden support frames of a sailing ship. In heavy seas, ships would be lifted up and pounded down so hard as to "shiver" the timbers, startling the sailors. Such an exclamation was meant to convey a feeling of fear and awe, similar to, "Well Blow Me Down!", or, "May God Strike Me Dead". Shiver is also reminiscent of the splintering of a ship's timbers in battle - splinter wounds were a common form of battle injury on wooden ships ('shiver' means splinter in some English dialects).

[edit] History
According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the expression "shiver my timbers" probably first appeared in a published work by Frederick Marryat called Jacob Faithful (1834). After an argument over grog, Tom's father has his wooden leg (a wooden leg was occasionally called a timber in slang) trapped between some bricks and is unable to move. Tom agrees to assist him on the condition he will not get a beating.

"I won’t thrash you, Tom. Shiver my timbers if I do."
"They're in a fair way of being shivered as it is, I think. Now, father, we're both even."
The expression is a derivative of actual 18th century nautical slang, when the phrase "timbers!" or "my timbers!" meant an exclamation (cf. "my goodness!") as can be seen in Poor Jack, a song from 1789 by Charles Dibdin. The opening phrase shiver my... also predates Jacob Faithful with the following lines from John O'Keeffe's 1791 comic play Wild Oats an earlier example:

Harry: I say it's false.
John : False! Shiver my hulk, Mr. Buckskin, if you wore a lion's skin I'd curry you for this.
[edit] Pirate stereotypes
"Shiver my timbers" was most famously popularized by the archetypal pirate Long John Silver in Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island (1883). Silver used the phrase seven times, as well as variations such as "shiver my sides", "shiver my soul" and "shake up your timbers".

Marryat and Stevenson both wrote grammatically correct Victorian fiction, even when their characters were pirates. The use of "me" instead of "my", which is common to many British regional accents, has appeared in popular culture such as with Popeye; in fact, one of his earliest cartoons from 1934 is entitled Shiver Me Timbers!. The phrase was also commonly used in Arthur Ransome's Swallows and Amazons books, where it was said at least once in almost every book, most commonly by "Amazon Pirate" Nancy Blackett.

dex armstrong
Posted 2009-09-19 1:24 PM (#30975 - in reply to #30958)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Tussen Takk (Norwegian for a Thousand Thanks)

It reminds me of the little Boy the teacher had given a book to about FROGS to give a book report on to his class. "I read a book about Frogs...It told me a lot more about Frogs than I ever wanted to know." But seriously THANKS...Fantastic research. Much Obliged. DEX
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software