Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The Grampus and Pike were commissioned in ceremonies at Mare Island the same day, Thursday, the 28th of May 1903. A young naval officer, Lieutenant Arthur MacArthur III, older brother of General Douglas MacArthur, assumed command for both vessels at the same time.
Glomar Explorer - must read
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Don Gentry
Posted 2009-09-09 2:17 AM (#30586)

Admin

Subject: Glomar Explorer - must read

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/09/08/AR2009090803610.html
Don Gentry
Posted 2009-09-09 2:19 AM (#30587 - in reply to #30586)

Admin

Subject: RE: Glomar Explorer - must read

Note that he was married 66 years!
C Stafford
Posted 2009-09-09 6:00 AM (#30590 - in reply to #30586)
Senior Crew

The Glomar Explorer was in Portland, OR for several years and it did not appear to be large enough to pick up a submarine. I was supprised to see the actual size. Super tankers and large cargo ships were much bigger. I guess it is not the size, but how you use it.
TSpoon
Posted 2009-09-09 8:43 AM (#30593 - in reply to #30586)
Great Sage of the Sea

The Glomar was also anchored in the Port of Redwood City for a long time during the 1960's and 1970's, then it moved to the Suisun Bay ghost fleet.

A guy who drives the bus part time at the senior living center where my wife works and is also a barber the other days was a crew man aboard the Glomar. He was an MM2 on a carrier, CVA 42, during the 1960's and did the same job for them. We got him to come to one of our local USSVI Base meetings a couple of years back and he gave a talk on his experiences. Of course it is still heavily classified like our days at sea. He didn't claim any CIA involvement but rather was part of the regular crew and they worked weeks on and off until the lift started. His stories were quite interesting.

T.Spoon, DBF
Don Gentry
Posted 2009-09-09 9:15 AM (#30595 - in reply to #30593)

Admin

When I lived in Vallejo for six months back in 74, I never tired of driving near the mothball fleet.  Quite a sighte to see!
TSpoon
Posted 2009-09-09 12:59 PM (#30601 - in reply to #30586)
Great Sage of the Sea

About 4 years ago when John Michaels, COB of Cavallah, came out on a search mission to the moth ball fleet I got to accompany him one day with a yard bird and go through some of the ships anchored there. One was one of the old Tenders from San Diego. Those ships are in a sad state of repair and there are sheets of rusty pain peeling form them.

He and I were locating things he could get then the next day he and about 5 other local sub vets went bakc out to strip things.

As much fun as it was to be aboard it was a shock to see the conditions. They had just brought the Battle ship Iowa out there and man is she impsoing. Those guns are big.

T.Spoon, DBF
John396
Posted 2009-09-09 3:24 PM (#30607 - in reply to #30586)
Old Salt

Sounds like a real American. I hope there are some left ---John396
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software