Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: On August 17, 1958, the USS SKATE circumnavigated the globe in about fifty minutes. The SKATE was at a radius of about two miles from the North Pole at the time, and the distance traveled in the circumnavigation was about twelve miles.
Labor Day and me
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Thomas Courtien
Posted 2009-09-07 5:29 AM (#30548)
Master and Commander

Subject: Labor Day and me

In 1967, I left for Boot Camp on the day after Labor Day.

I had a physical and took the oath back in May while still 17 and in HS. Then they set me up to go on active duty at the end of the summer after graduation.

I was the first of 13 children to leave home; and, it was the first time I ever saw my mother cry. (BTW: all 13 of us, and our famlies, get together several times a years)

My point is that after Labor Day in 1967 I took off on a path and I had no idea where I was going. But, it is a path I would choose again.

The Navy was good for me, the submarine service even better.
Ric
Posted 2009-09-07 7:04 AM (#30549 - in reply to #30548)

Plankowner

Subject: RE: Labor Day and me

I can't remember right now if I was just about to get out of Boot Camp or had just gotten out of boot in September of 1964. I do know that it was September 2 so I suspect I had just left. It also started a sad episode about going on leave. I came right home to a funeral and some how each time I came home over the next 4 years It was repeated without fail.

This was taken 2 days out of boot camp after the funeral of my uncle Elmer. The little girls now have kids older than they were when this pic was taken, even the baby. The man on the right end is my mothers twin brother.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software