Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "Alright gentlemen up and at it...Rub-a-Dub Dub, let's scrub up the F***ing sub!" - Garnett Curtis, COB, USS Phoenix
A Scorpion Memorial Association Project
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

viejo
Posted 2009-09-06 11:38 AM (#30517)

Senior Crew

Subject: A Scorpion Memorial Association Project

I am not sure of how this message may fit in with policy here, so Don feel free to take it off if it isn't proper.

Once every five years, Art and Mary Etta Nolan put together a Memorial Service for the USS Scorpion SSN-589 and her crew who went down with her. This is a project that the Navy considers very worthwhile and they always have a USS Submarine represented that will accept a wreath from the widows of the Scorpion crew, which they then take to sea and drop overboard.  Last year COMSUBFOR was the speaker and it was a very impressive ceremony followed by a picnic for all in which John Donaldson had many of the crew and family members talk about their experience with the Scorpion and how their families were affected by it's being lost.

We recently designed a sticker for a car that commemorates the loss of the Scorpion and it's crew and some of the profit from these goes to support the Nolans with the cost of holding the memorials.

So if it is ok, I would like to let people know that if they would like one or more of these, to please get in touch with me at  sub_ssn589@yahoo.com.   I always hope that more and more people will remember or learn about the Scorpion and it's crew.

Thanks

Viejo

(Scorpion BS 002 (600 x 402).jpg)

(8e32e03ae7a001892cf2d110_L__SX500_.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Scorpion BS 002 (600 x 402).jpg (60KB - 469 downloads)
Attachments 8e32e03ae7a001892cf2d110_L__SX500_.jpg (44KB - 461 downloads)
Stoops
Posted 2009-09-06 4:47 PM (#30534 - in reply to #30517)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: A Scorpion Memorial Association Project

It is inconceivable to me that supporting a memorial to a US Submarine could be considered not appropriate. Thank you, Bill, and the Nolans, and everyone else who supports the USS SCORPION memorial. That is the whole purpose of USSVI!

Thanks for all you do in USSVI, Bill. It is very much appreciated.
viejo
Posted 2009-09-06 4:52 PM (#30535 - in reply to #30534)

Senior Crew

Dave, thanks. I just don't want to be up here trying to sell things, so looked at posts to see how others did it and hoped this was ok. Mary Etta is Wally Bishop's daughter and she, her husband Art,  Barbara Lake, the Petersens and others have fought long and hard to keep people aware of the Scorpion and it's crew.

I am really humbled by all the help that people have given to things like this and to the web page. It is nice to know that with their help and with  the internet, my ship and those who went down with her will not be forgotten.

Bill

Edited by viejo 2009-09-06 4:53 PM
Darrin
Posted 2009-09-06 6:56 PM (#30541 - in reply to #30517)

Great Sage of the Sea

Bill,
your shipmates have NEVER been forgotten and as long as I am alive I will NOT forget them nor will I allow my son to forget those whom came before us on submarines.. I was honored to be there last year for the tribute to your shipmates and I did miss this year sadly enough and I don't plan on missing anymore while I am here in Newport News. Remember that our pride runs deep and my house is your house IF'n you ever would like to come back to the Nawfalk area

Darrin
viejo
Posted 2009-09-06 7:03 PM (#30542 - in reply to #30541)

Senior Crew

Darrin, thanks. I have a son who lives there, so am sure I'll be stopping by to visit one of these days.  Hope you get one of these little stickers to put on one of your cars. The people who go to the annual service in Newport News with the KOC have been very loyal and always get the word out.

Thanks,

Bill

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software