Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The United States submarine USS TRITON was fitted with twin reactors and was considered the longest submarine ever built until the advent of the OHIO class. The TRITON was designed for a surface displacement of 5,900 tons. Large submarines of other countries have been the Japanese I-400 (5,220 tons), and the French SURCOUF (2,880 tons).
GDU went belly up
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

RCK
Posted 2009-08-24 3:47 PM (#29968)
Master and Commander

Subject: GDU went belly up

Okay so the GDU broke. Nothin I can fix so I got another one, better quality. Took the out of commission unit apart and YUK! The crap in there is second only to a sanitary tank. I never had to dive a sanitary tank, thank god, but that is what I call HAZARDOUS DUTY!!!
Stoops
Posted 2009-08-24 4:23 PM (#29969 - in reply to #29968)
Master and Commander

Subject: Scared the hell out of me!

Damn! You had me worried there. I thought maybe Blue had died! Thank goodness it was your disposal! Did you find any of NIXON's tapes in there" Parts of Jimmy Hoffa?

chiefjoe
Posted 2009-08-25 3:50 AM (#29978 - in reply to #29968)
Senior Crew

Subject: RE: GDU went belly up

Reminds me of a story.

The Exec initiated a drill by dropping a smoke bomb in the waterway of the after battery. He immediately went to the the conning tower to monitor the communications of the drill.

A Torpedo Man (nameless to protect his character) threw a rag on the device, quickly dropped it in the TDU (remember old boat), and flushed it. I don't know if the Exec ever found what happened to his bomb. We were submerged and I heard him questioning some of the crew. He seemed to get reserve salutes in return.

Joe P
Tom McNulty
Posted 2009-08-25 7:15 AM (#29982 - in reply to #29968)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: GDU went belly up

Had the GDU go fritz once on the 600. Soem new mess crank dropped trash into it without putting in the weighted bags first. One can jammed the ball valve and we had to make the rest of the patrol sans GDU. When the garbage piled high enough and stunk we broached the sail in the North Atlantic in the winter and threw bags overboard. The air temp was minus 70 degrees and we were taking spray down the hatch. The mess crank was relieved of his duties and became the duty bilge diver and every othr distasteful task we could find. It had to be non technical of course. He was duly transferred to parts unknown.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software