Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "There is a touch of the pirate about every man who wears the dolphins badge" - Commander Jeff Tall, RN
Great book!
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

whalen
Posted 2009-07-30 7:19 AM (#29151)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: Great book!

I just finished Stealth Boat by Gannon McHale (YN2(SS) 1966-70).  He was known as Bill when he rode the STURGEON (637).  I picked up the book at about 1400 and didn't put it down until I finished it at 1900!

It's all about being an enlisted man during the late 60's.  Riding both the nukes and the diesel boats -- and comparing them: their operations, crews, and lifestyle.  Mac got it just right!

If you bailed out of subs because of the nuke boats coming in, reading this book will make you kick yourself in the butt!  Mac describes the snake ranches, the Bank Street escapades, the liberty in Rosey Roads, St Croix, Norfolk (Bells gets a mention) and etc.  

READ THIS BOOK ASAP!

US Naval Institute Press-2008-197 pages

Runner485
Posted 2009-07-30 11:08 AM (#29155 - in reply to #29151)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Great book!

Agree! I bought the book about 2 months ago. It was a pleasure reading a book written by an enlisted man....I really enjoyed it.

Another good book by Don Keith is Final Patrol. A group of stories of WWll boats.

Don't forget Pig Henry's book about Archerfish, Gallant Lady. Not only was he an enlisted man, but an Engineman to boot....Don Keith also authored it.
MAD DOG
Posted 2009-07-30 2:14 PM (#29170 - in reply to #29151)

Master and Commander

I agree Bill.Good book.I heard about it on the Scorpion site last year and bought it
viejo
Posted 2009-07-30 5:45 PM (#29183 - in reply to #29151)

Senior Crew

This is a great book and one of those you can read over and over. So many things in the book that were similar to what all of us Nucs went through in that period. Gannon is hooked up with facebook and so are a lot of others that read this BBS. Steve Hallquist just put up a USSVI group page up there with areas for discussion and places to put in information about what your base or you are doing. Drop in and let others know what is happening. Stealth Book is easy to find online of course.

Viejo

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software