Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: USS GEORGE WASHINGTON, the world's first ballistic missile nuclear powered submarine, constructed in record time, set a record of its own by remaining submerged 67 days on its initial Polaris missile deterrent patrol in the Atlantic.
Are they going to find Amelia?/Or not??
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

RCK
Posted 2009-07-29 1:39 PM (#29095)
Master and Commander

Subject: Are they going to find Amelia?/Or not??

Amelia Earhart Mystery Solved? 'Investigation Junkies' to Launch New Expedition
DNA Evidence on a Remote Island May Reveal the Truth About Earhart's Disappearance
By CHRISTINA CARON
July 27, 2009

It has been 72 years since famed aviator Amelia Earhart and navigator Fred Noonan disappeared while attempting to fly around the world. But the mystery remains unsolved: Nobody knows exactly what happened to Earhart or her plane.

The International Group for Historic Aircraft Recovery is planning another expedition to Nikumaroro Island in the hopes of uncovering DNA evidence that may show Amelia Earhart survived there for a short period of time.
)
More PhotosNow researchers at the International Group for Historic Aircraft Recovery, or Tighar, say they are on the verge of recovering DNA evidence that would demonstrate Earhart had been stranded on Nikumaroro Island (formerly known as Gardner Island) before finally perishing there.

During May and June of next year, Tighar will launch a new $500,000 expedition, continuing the archaeological work it has been doing on the island since 2001.

"We think we will be able to come back with DNA," said Tighar's Executive Director Ric Gillespie, who is working with two DNA labs in Ontario, Canada, Genesis Genomics and Molecular World. "We were out there in 2007 under the impression that in order to extract DNA we would need to find a piece of a human, and we didn't find anything like that. But we did find what's best described as personal effects of the castaway that died there."

Related
High-Flying Duo Take Home Gold WATCH: Sneak Peek: Hilary Swank as Amelia EarhartThe Black Holes of Plane Crashes
PatH
Posted 2009-07-29 2:27 PM (#29096 - in reply to #29095)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: Are they going to find Amelia?/Or not??

A half million bucks!  What a pitiful waste of time and resources.  Barnum was right!

Edited by PatH 2009-07-29 2:28 PM
dex armstrong
Posted 2009-07-29 2:37 PM (#29097 - in reply to #29095)

COMSUBBBS

You can't help but love Householder's post.....My sentiments EXACTLY....The reference to Barnum's "One born every minute..." knocked me off my chair laughing. Thanks Pat...you made my day. DEX
Corabelle
Posted 2009-07-29 6:34 PM (#29112 - in reply to #29096)

COMSUBBBS

This has been such an high profile on-going mystery for 72 years, that I've always been interested in what happened to her. In my mind, she's such a romantic figure. For there to be a female pilot with the guts that she had back then, makes her almost a heroine. Not quite, because to be a hero, one has to risk their life to come to the aid of another living person. Point being, I want to know what happened to her, so as long as it's someone else's half million (or is it?) ... gotta look again and see who's sponsoring this search. If there are personal effects still available, and if they are traceable, why would it cost $500,000.00? Just go to the island and check out these things.

I had (she's still living) a female cousin who was a WASP during WWII, and she truly was my idol. I guess there were lots of female pilots at that time in history, but she almost made me want to learn to fly an airplane. In fact, her brother (career Navy) said, "If sis can fly, so can I," and he took private flying lessons while he was in the service and ended up teaching flying as an extra job. He's well into his nineties now, and legally blind, but still a neat guy.

WHERE ARE YOU, AMELIA?

Cora

Edited by Corabelle 2009-07-30 11:40 PM
GaryKC
Posted 2009-07-29 8:02 PM (#29119 - in reply to #29095)

COMSUBBBS

Thanks Gary for allowing me speak thru you.....Amelia

I'm right here Cora and Dex...... I've been waiting for you two to post the magic number. At last....my dreams have come true!

Edited by GaryKC 2009-07-29 8:06 PM

(coradex1234.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments coradex1234.jpg (47KB - 447 downloads)
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-07-30 2:04 AM (#29136 - in reply to #29119)
COMSUBBBS

What are the odds of this happening, especially with Dex and Cora? I can hear Buck Owens now, singing "Together Again".
Land Lubber
Posted 2009-07-30 2:37 PM (#29173 - in reply to #29136)
Old Salt

Man.....Corabelle and Dex.....That's Kismit!!!!

Now as for Amelia, one expidition found metalic pieces being used by natives and believed they might be from her plane. They also found a rubber shoe heel that could have come from her shoe, but some critics think it came from shoe that was a different size than what she wore. I believe she went into the sea. Still there is the belief that she may have flown through an area similar to the Brimuda Triangle. While flying she was cought up in a worm-hole and was teleported to the planet Uranus. (why Uranus I'll never understand).

Oh Well,
Steve
Corabelle
Posted 2009-07-30 11:46 PM (#29200 - in reply to #29119)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: You'll notice, Gary...

...that we had exact opposite opinions.

Cora
dex armstrong
Posted 2009-07-31 3:54 AM (#29205 - in reply to #29095)

COMSUBBBS

I'm an old fashioned romantic, who believes there is nothing gained in finding the answer to every damn myth...legend...sorting out the legitimacy of every bloody theory, debunking romantic speculation. There was a piece in a magazine I read in the barbershop about a year ago, where some jaybird advanced the prospect of, as a consequence of "global temperature change" and the contraction of the Alaskan snowfields that Wiley Post's plane will be exposed in the near future yeilding up the bodies of veteran pilot Post and Will Rogers who went down with him. I don't know, I think there is a point where the dead should rest peacefully and undisturbed...not located, packed up and subjected to labratory examination, tabloid bulls**t speculation....a field day in cable news rehashing, tapdancing, and scab picking. Unsolved mysteries contribute to the mystique of life...legends...great "front porch" speculation, while you sit with your love and inventory lightning bugs and catalog late evening sounds. I don't want to know if Elisabeth the First, England's virgin queen was exhumed and found to have a diaphram in her purse....I still have problems with the exposure of the taking of performance enhancing drugs in major leagur baseball...All these revalations have destroyed my faith and love of professional sports. I don't want to know who and who's not a homosexual in the acting community...Don't care, unless one of the sonuvabitches follows me into a men's room stall. No amount of money spent by extremely rich folks is going to bring the lady aviatrix back to life....and finding her remains will trigger a media field day, like we've just been treated to with the death of worthless Michael....Let's face it, the only reason people are interested in finding Amelia is simple morbid curiosity...we are a nation obsessed with diefication of celebrities....looking up famous ladies dresses....and finding long dead folks. What would be wrong with leaving the adventurous lady rest wherever her soul left and became the stuff of historic mystery....We need to put the legitimacy back in the phrase "rest in peace". DEX
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software