Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The USS NAUTILUS SSN 571 was the first submarine with a satisfactory single plant that can be used for main propulsion both surfaced and submerged.
The 4th, the Tour & the Mets
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Runner485
Posted 2009-07-05 6:09 AM (#28341)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: The 4th, the Tour & the Mets

Thank God for the Tour De France. An exciting show for the next 3 weeks, as opposed to watching those miserable dogs the Mets attempt to catch pop-ups!!! Fortunately, I don't get all of the Mets games where I now live....Whadya think Patti are they just going through a phase or do they really suck as bad as they look.
Did ya catch the 4th show from DC? Lots of really good music. Rhapsody In Blue, the Jersey Boys & some sweet young thang called Natasha something or other in a slinky gold dress that really showed off her youth. She also had very nice teeth.... But the best was the Boston Pops doing their musical bombs bursting in air review. I usta love that old guy they had leading the orchestra. Where did he go? Some young guy now....Don't have the flair that the old guy had!

Hope everyone had a great 4th of July. Mine was wonderful!

miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2009-07-05 6:26 AM (#28344 - in reply to #28341)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: The 4th, the Tour & the Mets

Well, Joe, you caught me on the first one..TOUR...here I am thinking "golf"...because they are playing down at Congressional...and Tiger has the lead.  Now as for the Mets, I reserve comment until after the All-Star game, but yeah, right now they STINK, with a capital "S"...
Garry and I attended a concert and fireworks show at one of our Town parks last evening...listened to some really great '50's and 60's music...I used to work with the lead singer at a "long forgotten" publication called the National Pennysaver...Joe, do you remember that one...anyway, not only were we treated to one in town, fireworks, that is...but it seemed like everyone for miles around had them...even private displays...so, while we were trying to fight the traffic getting out of the park, the "bombs" were bursting all around us...but ya know what...even sitting in that line for almost 20 minutes, there wasn't one case of "road rage"...people were courteous...letting every other car in line...and when it was break time between sessions of the concert, people were just plain nice...you left there feeling pretty
good.  Yep, it was a great day all around...even Garry enjoyed himself...for the first time in a VERY, VERY LONG TIME!!!
JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2009-07-05 1:33 PM (#28361 - in reply to #28341)

Master and Commander

Runner485 - 2009-07-05 1:09 PM
But the best was the Boston Pops doing their musical bombs bursting in air review. I usta love that old guy they had leading the orchestra.
Where did he go?
Some young guy now....Don't have the flair that the old guy had!

Joe:

That was Arthur Fiedler who led the Boston Pops. They had to get a new conductor because Arthur Fiedler left. Where did he go? He died, that's where he went.
Runner485
Posted 2009-07-05 4:54 PM (#28365 - in reply to #28361)

COMSUBBBS

Thanks Jon. Now I remember the name & know the reason why he ain't around anymore....I still like him.  
JohnBay
Posted 2009-07-05 5:46 PM (#28367 - in reply to #28365)
Great Sage of the Sea

I was in the crowd on some holiday at a Pops Concert in Worcester Ma on liberty wearing dress blues. Fiedler called me and some dirtpounder up on stage to thank us for our service. This was circa '68/69.
Jim M.
Posted 2009-07-06 5:24 AM (#28370 - in reply to #28341)

Great Sage of the Sea

Runner485 - 2009-07-05 6:09 AM

......But the best was the Boston Pops doing their musical bombs bursting in air review. I usta love that old guy they had leading the orchestra. Where did he go? Some young guy now....Don't have the flair that the old guy had!

That old guy was Arthur Fiedler..used to love watching him. Then John Williams (have always liked his film scores - Star Wars, Midway, etc.) came in after Fiedler died in 1979, his 50th year as conductor of the Pops.. now it's Keith Lockhart... still, Williams conducts every so often.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software