Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The first periscope used by the United States Navy was not built for a submarine. The ironclad monitor OSAGE utilized a periscope to discover a Confederate cavalry unit taking cover behind the high banks of the Red River in Arkansas.
Boat Brew
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Hairball
Posted 2009-07-04 10:18 AM (#28306)
Senior Crew

Subject: Boat Brew

OK, I'm sticking my head out of the bilges for a minte. Home Brew on the Boat? Any recipes?

Cheers and Beers Hairy.
Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2009-07-04 3:47 PM (#28323 - in reply to #28306)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Boat Brew

To even imply that fine, upright and impecably honest US Submarine sailors would brew beer on board is an act of blastfumy. The brew smells so strong when it is fermenting, and it's contribution to CO2 levels that it would most certainly be found. However a can or two, stratigically placed here and there would serve the same purpose with less chance of discovery.
RCK
Posted 2009-07-04 5:01 PM (#28324 - in reply to #28306)
Master and Commander

As I recall the Gudgeon crew spirited away multiple bottles of booze....not beer though in one of the torpecker tubes. Somehow the COB, Chief Burns, got wind of the contriband booze in the torpecker tubes and had it fired expelling said contents out into the ocean so the fishes could hsve a party. Problem was the movie projector was in the tube with the booze....bye bye projector and booze. I was TAD to another boat at the time on a Northern Run so I am innocent of any connection with such non military like doings HEh! Heh! Heh!
Gil
Posted 2009-07-04 6:32 PM (#28325 - in reply to #28306)
Master and Commander

I know our guys had their bottles stashed away all over the boat.  Whenever the boat took an extreme up or down angle our head storekeeper got pissed and would come into control yelling - we assumed his Jim Beam had hit the deck.  I never developed a taste for gilley, but even the Sonarmen did and drank it.  Almost everybody that drank it mixed it with grapefruit juice on our boat - what about the other boats?

I was never offered any of the homemade booze, but the Enginemen made it out of a  fresh water still during our WestPac Run.  I think they were pissed at me because I did not want to be an Engineman when I came aboard, and when I became barber during our WestPac I asked to have a regular shower ever night - I got turned down, but I don't they ever forgave me for asking.  They hated running the still for fresh water because of the heat it produced.

During our Run a bottle of beer and frosted mug was raffled off every night for ten cents a chance.  We thought that was a big deal until we toured the Australian boat that visited Pearl and saw their keg of rum in the FTR.

Edited by Gil 2009-07-04 9:58 PM
Tom McNulty
Posted 2009-07-05 6:59 AM (#28348 - in reply to #28306)

Master and Commander

On one run a few tried to make some home brew using yeast, sugar, and apple juice. It was put into some poly bottles and left in the missile compensating tanks. That stuff could empty Supermans bowels in 3 seconds or less. It was decided to scrap the remaining bottles. The better or more classy drink was the alcohol we used in the fish. That was before the invention of pink lady. You could mix the alcohol with KoolAid, grapefruit juice, or coffee (sans the dairy as it would instantly curdle). The cience was the ratio of alcohol to whatever you cut it with. A mistake could be very costly. Some took the alcohol and and marinated jarred cherries for a month or so.
PaulR
Posted 2009-07-05 7:04 AM (#28350 - in reply to #28348)

Master and Commander

Some took the alcohol and and marinated jarred cherries for a month or so.

I first learned of this when I was passing through the AB and saw a shipmate flat on his back in the bunk with a cup of cherries spilled on his chest.

Welcome to the SS-407
Hairball
Posted 2009-07-05 8:04 AM (#28354 - in reply to #28306)
Senior Crew

During my visit the HMCS Windsor I was pleased to see a mini-fridge full of beer in the Chief's Mess and next to it a.... wait for it... a Keg Cooler!

Rae and I were onboard and one hell of time. I was thinking though, can you imagine opening the tap on a keg when snorkling and dipped the head? BEER everywhere! Though it's all probably secured when at sea... or not...

I found out what anachoic tiling was when I fell flat on my face on the deck, I didn't exactly go, 'boinnnng,' but it did save my hairy kneecaps.

Hairy of the North.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software