Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: USS TRITON, the only American made twin reactor submarine ever built, on May 10, 1960, completed the first totally submerged non-trivial circumnavigation of the world when she followed the route of Ferdinand Magellan for 36,000 miles during 84 days beneath the surface.
From Newfoundland, Canada.
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Hairball
Posted 2009-07-04 7:26 AM (#28296)
Senior Crew

Subject: From Newfoundland, Canada.

Happy Independence Day! ... And God Bless America!

To those of you who know me a bit - you know how I feel about America. I don’t mean to bore you guys but I want to say it again…

I love America NOT because of what I see on Television or read in magazines, no, it's based on my reading - in depth – of your history. Some of the books I have are rare, I found them hunting through Antique shops and while they didn’t cost me much, they are priceless.

Now some of you know about this Province of Newfoundland, but to those who don’t, let me tell you a bit about the special relationship we Newfies have with America.

In 1942 you came here and built Bases because you needed them, no, that's wrong, WE, the Free World needed them! But you went further than you needed to when you extended your generosity and open-hearted friendship to all of us - and how strange we must have seemed to you, our dialect must have been a challenge to start with! At that time we were mostly fishermen, mostly living day-to-day because, bluntly, we were a poor Province and though we’re no longer poor - we will never forget those who helped us during those bleak days of the Second World War.

All through the war and after you behaved well, very well indeed and friendships were made not only between the upper echelons of politics and society, but between the ordinary Newfie and you, the American Serviceman.

The war ended and eventually (and sadly) you had to leave but when you did you did such remarkable things such as handing over a fully-equipped, modern hospital for the princely sum of $1.00, yes, ONE dollar! This became the Janeway Children’s Hospital – only ¼ of a mile from where I’m sitting now. This is just one of many things you guys did for us.

You are no longer here - but you have not been forgotten and during 9/11 we had the chance to express how we feel when literally hundreds of Transatlantic airliners landed in Gander and here in St. John's and then we had the chance to re-adopt you, every one of you – and it was a privilege.

I happened to be on duty during that terrible time and it's something I'll never forget.

So... GOD BLESS AMERICA!

Cheers, Hairball - on Watch.

PS. I don’t come off Watch for another 6 hours, somebody have a beer for me!
Ric
Posted 2009-07-04 7:46 AM (#28298 - in reply to #28296)

Plankowner

Subject: RE: From Newfoundland, Canada.

Oh, crap Hairy, your getting all mushy and turning blurry on me. Thanks.
Hairball
Posted 2009-07-04 8:44 AM (#28300 - in reply to #28298)
Senior Crew

Waht about my beer?!
Sid Harrison
Posted 2009-07-04 9:49 AM (#28304 - in reply to #28296)

Great Sage of the Sea

Hairball,

Here's a couple of links relevant to the connection
between Newfoundland and the Americans.

... ARGENTIA
... Northern Run - stopping at Argentia

Glad you posted this topic.

Sid

Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2009-07-04 10:27 AM (#28307 - in reply to #28296)
Master and Commander

Unfortunately the only beer I have available is Miller High Life. Something you real drinkers call swill. It supported my family for 19 years, so I am loyal. Plus I don't drink, only cook with it. Now, I can make some excellent beer batter fish and onion rings. I may have to do that before the weekend is over. The Bream are hitting good in 3 to 4 feet of water on red wigglers. Plus I have a sack of huge Vidallia Onions. I shall have to check it out this evening. Sorry Hairy, only one bottle currently available, and I shall need it. So you shall have to look elsewhere.
Hairball
Posted 2009-07-04 10:54 AM (#28309 - in reply to #28296)
Senior Crew

Ah! My tummy's rumbling!

It's foggy up here and that's caplin weather. Little fish who swarm ashore (lousy depth keeping eh?) and we Newfois wade into the surf with dip-nets and fill empty (big) Salt Beef buckets. Cut the head off (if you're fussy), gut them, roll them in flour and into the pan with a few small pieces of salt-pork fat. Now that - with a DECENT beer is something really good!

Can you check my babblings about HP Air and any other crap I'll be coming up with? All's well this end and I'm studying the boat.... again...

Hairy.

PS. Can I watch the movie? Just once, p-l-e-a-s-e........ It's dark down here....
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-07-04 11:30 AM (#28312 - in reply to #28309)
COMSUBBBS

Of course we'll answer your questions, Mate, or tell you where to go to find out. As I said to you before, don't imagine complicated stuff most of the systems are plain common sense when you give it some thought.
Now, get off your belly aching Limey Arse and get busy. You're so far behind that a Charlie Chaplin movie is about all you are rated to see...one frame at a time.
Gil
Posted 2009-07-04 12:23 PM (#28317 - in reply to #28307)
Master and Commander

Sewer Pipe Snipe - 2009-07-04 10:27 AM Unfortunately the only beer I have available is Miller High Life. QUOTE]

First of all thanks for the history lesson Hairy.  Secondly, on the subject of the 'Champagne of Bottled Beers' -Miller High Life.  When I was a teenager I tried a few beers I had obtained and never really much cared for them.  One day my dad took me camping and fishing to Littlerock Lake in SoCal.  It was about 100 degrees and after melting in the sun my dad took me to the store and bought himself a six pack.  He pulled out one beer and offered me a swallow.  It was the first time he had ever offered me a beer and it was the first time beer tasted like sugar.  I got to like all beers after that time, but MHL has a special place for me.

Since those years MHL has gone from being Miller's premium beer to a lower level economy beer.   I still like it better than any of the other Miller products and I always have some stocked in my coolers.

Edited by Gil 2009-07-04 7:54 PM
Coyote
Posted 2009-07-04 6:40 PM (#28326 - in reply to #28296)

Master and Commander

Hairball - 2009-07-04 9:26 AM

Now some of you know about this Province of Newfoundland, but to those who don’t, let me tell you a bit about the special relationship we Newfies have with America.

Thanks, Hairy..

Wife & I had three weeks in Newfoundland in 2002 with our travel trailer. Went everywhere from Channel-Port-aux-Basques to St. Anthony/L'anse aux Meadows to Twillingate to Gander to St. John's. We enjoyed it all and had a great time.

We especially liked our stay in Gander, where we had the opportunity to speak with some of the folks who took in airplane travelers on 9/11. A magnificent effort on their part.

I agree with the "special relationship" and I'll continue to tell friends about the Newfie's.

Regards, Coyote
whalen
Posted 2009-07-04 8:02 PM (#28329 - in reply to #28296)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: newfies are grrrreat

new
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software