Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: How long will it take the average sailor to become a submariner? The average sailor will never become a submariner.
Want to lose my NQP Status
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Hairball
Posted 2009-06-28 10:44 PM (#28127)
Senior Crew

Subject: Want to lose my NQP Status

A few years ago I began attempting to Cyber Qualify on the (early) Balao class Boat. I didn’t finish and to be honest, being an NQP is better than being a civilian, but it ain’t good!

So I have begun reading and re-reading the boat (Balao) in depth… pun! Ron Smith, Warshot, was the first person so sign me off on Topside on my Cyber-Quall-Card and that’s something to be proud of.

The Fleet Boat is as technically beautiful as a fine Swiss Watch and as addictive as opium.

In my first attempt I got as far as the Fresh Water Systems here: http://www.maritime.org/fleetsub/chap9.htm#9B but about then cheese fell off my cracker, things were getting rough at home, but enough of that, that’s now past and now…life is good, VERY good indeed.

Here’s one of one of the most interesting questions I was given:
“Your are at 200' with neutral trim but no HP air to blow the MBT's, how do you get to the surface and stay there?”

My answer:
“Assuming I have the battery charge, increase speed with up-angle on the planes, enough to get you heading towards the surface, but not so much you become airborne when I surface - only to plunge back down.

I wanted to arrive on the surface with, ‘up-momentum,’ to get my CT Hatch and Main Induction out of the water and open with enough speed and the planes – to give me sufficient time to get the LP Blowers going while starting my engines.

I think it was a fair answer, but I was then asked, "What do you do if you have some negative pressure in the Pressure Hull?" I cannot get anything open!

That was a bloody tough one and I never did get it.

But the point is, I thought it through and I really enjoyed it… and want to have, ‘another go.’

I’m studying the early Balao and using this: http://www.maritime.org/fleetsub/index.htm as my, ‘Bible.’

I’d like some question please. Obviously I cannot answer everything at once, but I will answer those questions that follow the layout of the manual.

Cheers and beers guys, Hairball, Bilge Denizen.
subvetss
Posted 2009-06-30 3:46 PM (#28177 - in reply to #28127)
Senior Crew

Subject: RE: Want to lose my NQP Status

We have gone through this synopsis at least once with a great guy named Luke'the Lid'. I think there might have been another one in the past 11 or so years. At any rate he (Luke) was awarded, what we created, 'Cyber Dolphins'. He worked hard, as you are doing, for them but never lost his status as a NQP in real life. I hope you can earn your Cyber Dolphins and be proud.
Joe'the'Most
Olgoat
Posted 2009-07-01 9:24 AM (#28204 - in reply to #28127)

Mess cooking

Okay hairball, here's a good place to start...

http://www.olgoat.com/subquiz/subquiz.htm

Cheers,
Olgoat
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-07-01 10:50 AM (#28208 - in reply to #28204)
COMSUBBBS

Oh Lord, Hairball, you woke the sleeping giant

Very good questions, Ray. This ought to generate some good email exchanges.

Edited by Ralph Luther 2009-07-01 10:55 AM
Don Gentry
Posted 2009-07-03 1:29 AM (#28267 - in reply to #28204)

Admin

WTF... I don't recall seeing this before Ray... GREAT!
Don Gentry
Posted 2009-07-03 1:36 AM (#28268 - in reply to #28127)

Admin

Reminds me of Ric wanting to "lose something" back in the old days.  He wanted to lose.... hmmmm.... lessee now.... his Uncle Virgil?..... naw, that's not it.... lessee.... not sure he ever did...???
Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2009-07-04 7:05 AM (#28295 - in reply to #28127)
Master and Commander

Were there some promised Scotch involved, I know a certain Corpsman who would sign off just about any system. However, myself being the honest sort, I couldn't sign anything that wasn't aft of frame 85. Then, you being a foreign national by birth I would have to cut you the same slack we cut the Phillipino's. They weren't allowed aft of 85. So they had to qual sort of like you are trying to do. More power to you, qualifying on a diesel when the USA doesn't even have one will be quite a feat. Now I would say something about Diesel versus Nuke quals, but that would stir up too many folks. There will be enough fireworks today without me bringing that up.
Ric
Posted 2009-07-04 7:42 AM (#28297 - in reply to #28204)

Plankowner

Great Ray but where are the rest of the questions, HP Air, Hydraulics, IC Systems, Fresh Water, etc?
Hairball
Posted 2009-07-04 8:50 AM (#28301 - in reply to #28127)
Senior Crew

Here I be!

http://www.submarinesailor.com/quals/aaron.asp

HP Air, though I've got a lot of it myself! So, unless told otherwise, I'll start off with the HP Comps and work from there.

Ref: My July 4th post, yeah it's mushy, but it's also true. Hey, I aslo asked for some beer in that! Beer! Natrue's perfect food, all you need is two spuds and a 12 pack a day to thrive!

Hairy.

PS: Any guesses why I'm called, "Hairball?" And yes, Gilette sends me Christmas cards!
Hairball
Posted 2009-07-04 8:54 AM (#28302 - in reply to #28127)
Senior Crew

Gonna log-off for a while, Let he studies begin!

I'll submit short and to-the-point essays on HP Air for vivisection here a bit later.

BTW, did you know that men's pant zippers are made of brass because they're self-sharpenning!

Hairy the Horrible NQP, Airdale, Limey, Bilge-King.... did I miss anything?
Ric
Posted 2009-07-04 1:42 PM (#28320 - in reply to #28301)

Plankowner

... Any guesses why I'm called, "Hairball?"...

...are you related to my cat???...she licks her butt a lot......
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software