Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The first boat known to have been navigated under water was built in 1620 by a Dutchman, Cornelius Van Drebbel. Van Drebbel is said to have developed a chemical which would purify the air and allow the crew to stay submerged for extended periods.
US Military Cemeteries-Overseas
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Runner485
Posted 2009-05-26 5:53 AM (#27082)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: US Military Cemeteries-Overseas

10:00p.m. last night night I watched a show that visited the cemeteries of the Graves of American servicemen that died in WWl. I was very surprised at just how many there were. Then at 10:30 they moved on to the cemeteries from WWll. The grounds of each of them were impeccably kept by the USA.

After WWl the relatives of the dead servicemen/women were polled by the government to see if they wanted the remains to stay and be buried on foreign soil or to be returned home to them. 60% wanted their loved one back home. That % remained the same for the dead of WWll.

It was a very moving to see just how many of the local elementary schools, throughout Europe, used the cemeteries as history lessons, (I guess) to show their kids just how many Americans died to keep their country free.   

It is a vivid reminder to me, to see just how many of our fighting men/women remain on foreign soil.
Jim M.
Posted 2009-05-26 7:47 AM (#27083 - in reply to #27082)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: US Military Cemeteries-Overseas

Joe,

The same holds true for those US servicemen who fought in Europe and who visit where they fought, especially in Holland. A dear friend of mine, Bob Perdue, jumped into Holland on 17 September 1944 with the 101st Airborne. When Bob went back to Holland in 2003 (I think), he was shown around with great fanfare to places where he fought and where he holed up after being wounded. Though he wanted to keep his visit quiet, Bob told me later that there were little ceremonies for him.

Those who were liberated by the US soldiers still remember their sacrifices.. both those who paid the ultimate price and those who survived.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software