Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "Like the destroyer, the submarine has created its own type of officer and man with language and traditions apart from the rest of the service, and yet at the heart unchangingly of the Serviceā€ -- Rudyard Kipling, The Fringes of the Fleet, 1915
Ok folks let's lighten the mood with some Tommy Cox
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Darrin
Posted 2009-05-25 3:14 PM (#27072)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: Ok folks let's lighten the mood with some Tommy Cox

Songs or in this case song... Big Black Submarine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy2jVX3GcMo&feature=related
Stoops
Posted 2009-05-25 3:46 PM (#27073 - in reply to #27072)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Ok folks let's lighten the mood with some Tommy Cox

Seawolf Park, Pelican Island, this afternoon, waiting for the Memorial Day Service to start. John McMichael is talking about the new speakers (outstanding) that the CHF got. He says, "You want to hear Tommy Cox or Sousa to get everyone warmed up?"
I said, "What's the matter with both....just as long as you play Big Black Submarine!"

Within minutes, there's the oogah, oogah and Big Black Submarine! Fellow in front of me rode 3 boomers and hadn't heard it before....I got his card (he's with Cook County Sheriff in Chicago area. I'm sending him info.

We did have a great Service. It was a little long, there was no shortage of speakers...at least one from each branch of the military, and of course the CHF and local pols , and the new head of the local VA. WWII did the tolling of the boats and Gil Raynor preceded that with what it meant. I think Gil posted his remarks on Rontini's board.

The weather was a bit on the warm side, but a slight breeze and an occasional cloud made it ok, though I bet a lot of folks have farmer's tans now.

It was a decent crowd, and a CG helo dropped the wreath of remembrence in the water just ahead of us. A little noisy, but spectacular.

WWII vets were well represented there along with local USSVI and other Vets. The colors were presented by the Marine Corp who always look impressive in Dress Blues.

It was great to see some of the Dallas Base, and a number of folks that have come from great distances to volunteer on the Cavalla and Stewart. I hadn't seen Keg in a long time. Missed seeing Ralph, but maybe later this summer.

Anyway, each of the speakers were very good and I appreciated all their remarks.

And now, I think I will pull out my Cellar 13 and toast all of those heroes who have paid the ultimate price so we can sit here in this great nation steeped in freedom. And here's to all of you and your service. Thanks, shipmates!
I salute you.
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-05-26 5:17 AM (#27080 - in reply to #27073)
COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Ok folks let's lighten the mood with some Tommy Cox

Thanks for being there, Dave. I had intentions of being there, but due to the heavy rains the few days prior to the event, I knew getting there from Charleston was going to be tough. I do hope to get out that way later this year. I know John is past due for some refresher training.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software