Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: In 1921, a United States submarine, the R-14, having run out of fuel at sea while looking for the missing tug USS Conestoga, rigged sails from blankets and hammocks sewn together. Bunk frames were used for yardarms and booms. The torpedo loading king post for a fore mast, the torpedo loading boom for a mizzen mast and the telescoping radio mast, for the main mast. The R-14 sailed 100 miles in five days to the port of Hilo, T.H. at a speed of two knots. It has been reported in March 2016 that the Conestoga has been located 3 miles off Southeast Farallon Island, probably sinking with-in a day of leaving port. All hands lost.
Portsmouth (NH) Trouble...
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Curt
Posted 2009-05-24 5:03 AM (#27008)

Old Salt

Subject: Portsmouth (NH) Trouble...

http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=10414439

2 sailors charged in Portsmouth, NH, beating

Associated Press - May 23, 2009 4:35 PM ET

PORTSMOUTH, N.H. (AP) - Two sailors from a nuclear submarine have been charged with beating a man and leaving him unconscious on a Portsmouth, N.H., street.

Police say an officer found the 48-year-old victim a few minutes before midnight Friday night. He is reported in intensive care with a fractured skull.

Investigators arrested 22-year-old Gerald Smith and 23-year-old Sandy Portobanco. The USS Greeneville crewmen are charged with assault and witness tampering after police say they threatened a witness.

Police say Smith and Portobanco were in a Navy van when Smith took offense to something the victim allegedly said to them. Investigators say Smith stopped the van, argued with the victim, then beat him, along with Portobanco.

Police are asking witnesses to contact them.

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Edited by Curt 2009-05-24 5:04 AM
SOB490
Posted 2009-05-24 7:17 AM (#27010 - in reply to #27008)

Old Salt

Subject: RE: Portsmouth (NH) Trouble...

>>>when Smith took offense to something the victim allegedly said to them

Any sailor who was ever stationed in such garden spots as Norfolk or even San Diego in the mid-late 50s can attest to what sort of verbal and physical abuse we often received from the locals. I know from experience that San Diego coppers in those days were every bit as henhouse, brutal, and vicious as the infamous HASP in Pearl when it came to dealing with sailors.

Or, a Viet-Nam vet being called a "baby-killing bastard" like I was at a friend's daughter's wedding because it happened to be held on Veterans Day and I was wearing my VFW buddy poppy. That was one of those teeth-gritting occasions when the only sensible thing to do was turn and walk away.

Unfortunately, while our natural instinct is to pound some loudmouthed jackass into the ground, we can't. I can sympathize with these men if this news story is anywhere near being accurate - but it looks as if they are now headed for serious consequences and the really sad part of it all is that the so-called "victim" probably isn't worth one tenth of the grief they are going to catch.

Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-05-24 10:30 AM (#27020 - in reply to #27010)
COMSUBBBS

Threatening the witness was probably the thing that them in the biggest trouble
MAD DOG
Posted 2009-05-24 4:36 PM (#27034 - in reply to #27010)

Master and Commander

Bill,
I experienced the wonderful hospitality(NOT) in Norfolk in the early '60s.
Also Very familiar with the HASP on good old Hotel street and almost didn't make it out of a few gin mills in Columbus,Ohio while on leave there in the late'60s and early '70s.
I have no idea what provoked these young lads to do what they did,IF they in
fact did it.They should have practiced some measure of restraint and will,no doubt,suffer the consequences of their actions.There are still a few thoughtless
bastards out there who have no respect for the military or the folks who are
saving their bacon on a daily basis and I can't bring myself to muster up any
sympathy for them.
Remember this?

Edited by MAD DOG 2009-05-26 2:10 PM

(Sailors & Dogs.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Sailors & Dogs.JPG (12KB - 495 downloads)
Blue from West Oz
Posted 2009-05-24 4:57 PM (#27036 - in reply to #27034)

Master and Commander

MAD DOG - 2009-05-25 6:36 AM

Remember this?

What's the history behind that sign?

Blue *_*
PaulR
Posted 2009-05-24 5:16 PM (#27041 - in reply to #27036)

Master and Commander

Blue from West Oz - 2009-05-24 7:57 PM
MAD DOG - 2009-05-25 6:36 AMRemember this?
What's the history behind that sign?Blue *_*

I've never encountered authoritative proof that those signs ever existed.  More urban legends???

Google "Sailors and dogs keep off the grass" and you find plenty of info

SOB490
Posted 2009-05-25 6:33 PM (#27075 - in reply to #27041)

Old Salt

I've BTDT with Norfolk signs - including one that has the infamous "N-word" in it as well. I still have the 35mm color slide of that scene that I shot with my Building A-33 Minolta camera in the fall of 1959.

I ran across some towns that were hostile towards any military except one of their own native sons - and then only after they found out he "belonged" there. Other towns I've lived in or visited were very pro-military, like Portland Oregon during the Rose Festival, for example. The remaining 94.37% were somewhere between non-commital but curious to fairly neutral.

I never spent much time in Portsmouth - maybe a half-dozen business trips while I was in NAVSHIPS so I wasn't a typical sailor on the beach --- and that was years ago. I spent a lot of time in San Diego in the 50s, 60s, and early 70s and saw a wide range of attitudes over the years, almost like the pendulum swinging to-and-fro. I definitely remember the "two dollar bill payday" and saw an attitude change like a light switch getting flipped.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software