Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The USS Schley / AA-1 / T-1 (SF-1) (SS-52) originally named for Winfield Scott Schley, Rear Admiral, United States Navy, renamed AA-1 on 23 August 1917 before being Launched on 25 July 1918; Commissioned, USS AA-1, 30 January 1920; Designated (SF-1), 20 July 1920; Renamed USS T-1 (SF-1), 20 September 1920
Dam Notice
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

crystal
Posted 2009-05-23 7:46 AM (#26958)

Master and Commander

Subject: Dam Notice

beaver2

Dam  Notice 

This  is an actual letter sent to a man named Ryan  DeVries regarding a pond on his property. It was  sent by the Pennsylvania Department of  Environmental Quality, State of Pennsylvania .  This guy's response is hilarious, but read the  State's letter before you get to the response  letter.

SUBJECT: DEQ File No.97-59-0023;  T11N; R10W, Sec. 20; Lycoming County 

Dear  Mr. DeVries:

It has come to the  attention of the Department of Environmental  Quality that there has been recent unauthorized  activity on the above referenced parcel of  property. You have been certified as the legal  landowner and/or contractor who did the  following unauthorized activity: Construction  and maintenance of two wood debris dams across  the outlet stream of Spring Pond.

A  permit must be issued prior to the start of this  type of activity. A review of the Department's  files shows that no permits have been issued.  Therefore, the Department has determined that  this activity is in violation of Part 301,  Inland Lakes and Streams, of the Natural  Resource and Environmental Protection Act, Act  451 of the Public Acts of 1994, being sections  324.30101 to 324.30113 of the Pennsylvania  Compiled Laws, annotated.

The Department  has been informed that one or both of the dams  partially failed during a recent rain event,  causing debris and flooding at downstream  locations.

We find that dams of this  nature are inherently hazardous and cannot be  permitted.

The Department therefore  orders you to cease and desist all activities at  this location, and to restore the stream to a  free-flow condition by removing all wood and  brush forming the dams from the stream channel.  All restoration work shall be completed no later  than January 31, 2009.

Please notify  this office when the restoration has been  completed so that a follow-up site inspection  may be scheduled by our staff. Failure to comply  with this request or any further unauthorized  activity on the site may result in this case  being referred for elevated enforcement action..  We anticipate and would appreciate your full  cooperation in this matter. Please feel free to  contact me at this office if you have any  questions.

Sincerely,

David L.  Price
District Representative and Water  Management Division

Here is the actual  response sent back by Mr. DeVries:  

Re:  DEQ File No. 97-59-0023; T11N; R10W, Sec. 20;  Lycoming County

Dear Mr. Price, 

Your certified letter dated 11/25/08 has  been handed to me to respond to. I am the  legal landowner but not the Contractor at
2088  Dagget Lane, Trout Run, Pennsylvania

A couple of beavers are in the (State  unauthorized) in the process of constructing and  maintaining two wood 'debris' dams across the  outlet stream of my Spring Pond. While I did not  pay for, authorize, nor supervise their dam  project, I think they would be highly offended  that you call their skillful use of natures  building materials 'debris.'

I would  like to challenge your department to attempt to  emulate their dam project any time and/or any place you choose. I believe I can safely state  there is no way you could ever match their dam  skills, their dam resourcefulness, their dam  ingenuity, their dam persistence, their dam  determination and/or their dam work ethic.      

beaver4

beaver3     

These are  the beavers/contractors you are seeking. As to  your request, I do not think the beavers are aware that they must first fill out a dam permit  prior to the start of this type of dam activity. 

My first dam question to you is: 

(1) Are you trying to discriminate  against my Spring Pond Beavers, or

(2)  do you require all beavers throughout this State  to conform to said dam request?

If you  are not discriminating against these particular  beavers, through the Freedom of Information  Act, I request completed copies of all those other applicable beaver dam permits that have  been issued.

(Perhaps we will see if  there really is a dam violation of Part 301,  Inland Lakes and Streams, of the Natural  Resource and Environmental Protection Act,  Act 451 of the Public Acts of 1994, being  sections 324.30101 to 324.30113 of the  Pennsylvania Compiled Laws, annotated.

I have several concerns. My first  concern is, aren't the beavers entitled to legal  representation? The Spring Pond Beavers are  financially destitute and are unable to pay for  said representation ~~ so the State will have to  provide them with a dam lawyer. The Department's  dam concern that either one or both of the dams  failed during a recent rain event, causing  flooding, is proof that this is a natural  occurrence, which the Department is required to  protect. In other words, we should leave the  Spring Pond Beavers alone rather than harassing  them and calling them dam names.

If you  want the stream 'restored' to a dam free-flow  condition please contact the beavers ~~ but if  you are going to arrest them, they obviously did  not pay any attention to your dam letter, they  being unable to read English.

In my  humble opinion, the Spring Pond Beavers have a  right to build their unauthorized dams as long  as the sky is blue, the grass is green and water  flows downstream. They have more dam rights than  I do to live and enjoy Spring Pond. If the  Department of Natural Resources and  Environmental Protection lives up to its name,  it should protect the natural resources  (Beavers) and the environment (Beavers' Dams). 

So, as far as the beavers and I are  concerned, this dam case can be referred for  more elevated enforcement action right now. Why  wait until 1/31/2009? The Spring Pond Beavers  may be under the dam ice then and there will be  no way for you or your dam staff to  contact/harass them.

In conclusion, I  would like to bring to your attention to  a real environmental quality, health, problem  in the area. It is the bears! Bears are actually  defecating in our woods. I definitely believe you should be persecuting the defecating bears  and leave the beavers alone. If you are going to  investigate the beaver dam, watch your step! The  bears are not careful where they dump! 

Being unable to comply with your dam  request, and being unable to contact you on your dam answering machine, I am sending this response to your dam office.

THANK YOU, 

RYAN DEVRIES
& THE DAM  BEAVERS

Edited by crystal 2009-05-23 7:56 AM

SOB490
Posted 2009-05-23 10:25 AM (#26962 - in reply to #26958)

Old Salt

Subject: RE: Dam Notice

I do believe this one actually outdoes the infamous WII-era toilet paper letter ...
Ric
Posted 2009-05-23 10:33 AM (#26963 - in reply to #26962)

Plankowner

Lt. Cmdr James “Red” Coe was CO of the USS Skipjack when he wrote his famous "toilet paper" letter to the Mare Island Supply Office.
========================================================
USS SKIPJACK

June 11, 1942

To: Supply Officer, Navy Yard, Mare Island, California
Via: Commander Submarines, Southwest Pacific

Subject: Toilet Paper
Reference: (a) USS HOLLAND (5148) USS SKIPJACK req. 70-42 of 30 July 1941.
(b) SO NYMI Canceled invoice No. 272836

Enclosure: (1) Copy of cancelled Invoice
(2) Sample of material requested.

1. This vessel submitted a requisition for 150 rolls of toilet paper on July 30, 1941, to USS HOLLAND. The material was ordered by HOLLAND from the Supply Officer, Navy Yard, Mare Island, for delivery to USS SKIPJACK.

2. The Supply Officer, Navy Yard, Mare Island, on November 26, 1941, cancelled Mare Island Invoice No. 272836 with the stamped notation "Cancelled---cannot identify." This cancelled invoice was received by SKIPJACK on June 10, 1942.

3. During the 11 ¾ months elapsing from the time of ordering the toilet paper and the present date, the SKIPJACK personnel, despite their best efforts to await delivery of subject material, have been unable to wait on numerous occasions, and the situation is now quite acute, especially during depth charge attack by the "back-stabbers."

4. Enclosure (2) is a sample of the desired material provided for the information of the Supply Officer, Navy Yard, Mare Island. The Commanding Officer, USS SKIPJACK cannot help but wonder what is being used in Mare Island in place of this unidentifiable material, once well known to this command.

5. SKIPJACK personnel during this period have become accustomed to use of "ersatz," i.e., the vast amount of incoming non-essential paper work, and in so doing feel that the wish of the Bureau of Ships for the reduction of paper work is being complied with, thus effectively killing two birds with one stone.

6. It is believed by this command that the stamped notation "cannot identify" was possible error, and that this is simply a case of shortage of strategic war material, the SKIPJACK probably being low on the priority list.

7. In order to cooperate in our war effort at a small local sacrifice, the SKIPJACK desires no further action be taken until the end of the current war, which has created a situation aptly described as "war is hell." J.W. Coe
============================================================
Here is the rest of the story:

The letter was given to the Yeoman, telling him to type it up. Once typed and upon reflection, the Yeoman went looking for help in the form of the XO. The XO shared it with the OD and they proceeded to the CO's cabin and asked if he really wanted it sent. His reply, "I wrote it, didn't I?"

As a side note, twelve days later, on June 22, 1942 J.W. Coe was awarded the Navy Cross for his actions on the S-39. (Previous command)
The "toilet paper" letter reached Mare Island Supply Depot. A member of that office remembers that all officers in the Supply Department "had to stand at attention for three days because of that letter." By then, the letter had been copied and was spreading throughout the fleet and even to the President's son who was aboard the USS Wasp.

As the boat came in from her next patrol, Jim and crew saw toilet-paper streamers blowing from the lights along the pier and pyramids of toilet paper stacked seven feet high on the dock. Two men were carrying a long dowel with toilet paper rolls on it with yards of paper streaming behind them as a band played coming up after the roll holders. Band members wore toilet paper neckties in place of their Navy neckerchiefs. The wind-section had toilet paper pushed up inside their instruments and when they blew, white streamers unfurled from trumpets and horns.

As was the custom for returning boats to be greeted at the pier with cases of fresh fruit/veggies and ice cream, the Skipjack was first greeted thereafter with her own distinctive tribute-cartons and cartons of toilet paper.
This letter became famous in submarine history books and found its way to the movie ("Operation Petticoat"), and eventually coming to rest (copy) at the Navy Supply School at Pensacola, Florida. There, it still hangs on the wall under a banner that reads, "Don't let this happen to you!" Even John Roosevelt insured his father got a copy of the letter.

The original is at Bowfin Museum in Hawaii.
Tom McNulty
Posted 2009-05-24 7:49 AM (#27013 - in reply to #26958)

Master and Commander

I'd enjoy a day in the golf cart with this guy.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software