Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "Submariners are a special brotherhood, either all come to the surface or no one does. On a submarine, the phrase all for one and one for all is not just a slogan, but reality.” -- VADM Rudolf Golosov of the Russian Navy
Speaking on Donations
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

The Brat
Posted 2009-05-23 6:46 AM (#26956)

Crew

Subject: Speaking on Donations

In light of the last post I'm almost afraid to post this here, but I believe in this project with all my heart so here goes......

I am asking each of you to help me spread the word about a wonderful project taking place that has really touched my heart.

There is a new Veteran's Memorial currently under construction near Granbury, Texas. It started out as a small project; it was going to be a nice little memorial to honor those who have sacrificed all in the name of freedom. But after the project got started, the Engineer just could not stop at "little".

What was once planned as a small tribute for the locals has now turned into a massive project which will honor every American military member. A National Memorial for those who have served, those still serving and most importantly, those who gave all.

Veteran's Falls Memorial Park

I had the opportunity to visit the construction site on May 22nd and was given a personal tour by the Designer and Engineer, Robert Stapleton. I’m a professional in the civilian world now and as such, must dress the part. So picture me in a business suit, hair down and in high heals. Here I am, walking around a construction site, climbing higher and higher up onto a man made mountain, over rocks, boulders the size of Volkswagens and dodging mud puddles. Mr. Stapleton expressed concerned but I reassured him I was a spit shine expert so the tour continued.

This man has a vision and I could not help but let a tear or two drop as he told me how he started out small but found that he just could not stop. He said to me "when I reach the point of exhaustion and know I can't go anymore, I start thinking about all the sacrifices of our troops and that gives me the strength to keep going".

This memorial, once completed, will be massive. I don't have the words to explain how touched I am by the work that has been done and that will continue by volunteers. Yes, I said VOLUNTEERS!

You see, the funding for the project ran out weeks ago, so every person working on it now is a volunteer. Every piece of equipment being used has been graciously donated by the few sponsors Robert Stapleton has been able to solicit for the project. We are talking massive earth moving equipment, cranes, backhoes, lights, generators and so forth. It is just amazing!!

They are building an enormous, man made waterfall in which the top cascade will cover approximately 3300 square feet that will flow down about 100 yards into a reflecting pool. Surrounding the waterfall will be a lighted park. In order to complete this project, they need funding which is where you come in.

I am asking that you visit their website, read more about this project, go to their blog and leave your personal story. Then if you feel as moved as I, please consider making a small donation. I know times are hard, but even $5.00 would be appreciated at this point. I am also asking that you help me spread the word about this awesome project. Please share in my enthusiasm as I seek out individual and corporate sponsors to help get this project completed.

Veterans Falls Memorial Park
http://www.waterfallcentersofamerica.com/veteranfalls.html
I should note that the website has not been updated since funding ran out which caused them to miss the projected unveiling date.

Go tell your story at http://www.waterfallcentersofamerica.com/blog/

Any and all donations can be sent to:
Veteran’s Falls Memorial
Attn: Robert Stapleton
10155 Hwy 24 South
Paris, Tx 75462

Respectfully
Robin Greer (The Brat)

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread