Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "I can't say anything bad about Doc Barboza; he cut my hair before I went ashore... and he cured my 'cold' when I came back." -- David Stevens, MM2(SS), USS Archerfish AGSS-311)
Obit Messenger results for 05/22/09
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Pig
Posted 2009-05-22 8:52 AM (#26900)
Plankowner

Subject: Obit Messenger results for 05/22/09

CLAGGETT, Bladen Dulaney, 96, a retired Navy captain who was a highly decorated veteran of World War II submarine warfare, died May 6, 2009 at his home in Bethesda, MD. He had pneumonia. Capt. Claggett received the Navy Cross, the military's second-highest award for valor, and two awards of the Silver Star while commander of the submarine USS Dace in the Pacific during World War II. In October 1944, he made the initial report of a Japanese fleet approaching Leyte Gulf near the Philippines, in what would prove one of the largest and most decisive sea battles of the war. He and another U.S. skipper, David McClintock of the submarine USS Darter, decided to fire on the two columns of enemy ships they had sighted. Capt. Claggett was credited with sinking a Japanese heavy cruiser, among other ships. After the submarines made their hits, enemy destroyers went after them. Depth charges rained down, and in the confusion, the Darter ran aground on a reef. Hours later, Capt. Claggett rescued the entire crew. The chief problem, he told the press later, was running out of food after the rescue. "We wound up by existing on mushroom soup and peanut butter sandwiches," he said. "We had 170 men on the Dace, and they were sleeping everywhere, even in the empty torpedo skids, and I couldn't get Cmdr. McClintock out of my bunk the rest of the trip, except for poker. It took us two weeks to get back to Perth, Australia." Bladen Dulany Claggett was a Frederick native and a 1935 graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis. He retired from the Navy in 1965, after assignments that included command of a submarine division and deputy director for intelligence for the Joint Chiefs of Staff. In retirement, he worked as a maritime consultant. His memberships included the Chevy Chase Club, the St. Andrews Society and the English-Speaking Union. His wife of 70 years, Rhea Robinson Claggett, died in 2008. A son, Bladen Claggett Jr., died in 1957. Survivors include a daughter, Mariamne Vickery of Bethesda, and four grandchildren.

CUSTER, Herbert Richard, 83, of Katy, Texas entered into heaven on May 20, 2009. Born November 25, 1925 in San Diego, California to Margaret Walsh and Joseph W. Custer, Herb was one of four children. He served his country valiantly during WWII on the submarine USS Silversides and remained a member of the US Submarine Veterans WWII until his death. After the war he returned to California where he married Pat, obtained his BA in economics from Loyola University and started his family. He started working for Atlantic Richfield before transferring to Shell Oil where he worked in Human Resources until his retirement in the early 80s. He launched a second career as a teacher, working on his MBA and teaching at the University of Houston and Houston Community College. He was a testimony to what it really means to serve God. He truly commended his spirit to the Lord and is now sharing in the life that God promises to those who love Him. He is preceded in death by his parents and sisters Maureen and Mona and his grandson Shaun-Michael Patton. He leaves behind his wife of 58 years, Pat; 8 children: Ellen of Houston, Cathy Patton and Diane (John) Sequeira of Katy, Kevin (Linda) of Cypress, Tim (Laura) of Houston, Daniel of Dallas, and twins Thomas of Jacksonville, FL and Joseph of Los Angeles, CA; six grandchildren: Matthew Patton, Gina and John-Michael Sequeira, Amanda and Dillon Custer and Brandon Custer; and brother, Joseph (Beverly) Custer of Spokane, WA. Interment in Memorial Oaks Cemetery.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software