Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "Like the destroyer, the submarine has created its own type of officer and man with language and traditions apart from the rest of the service, and yet at the heart unchangingly of the Service” -- Rudyard Kipling, The Fringes of the Fleet, 1915
WAFFLE HOUSE
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

dex armstrong
Posted 2009-05-19 3:24 PM (#26809)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: WAFFLE HOUSE

I freely admit that I am in all probability the GREATEST ADVOCATE of the Waffle House in North America..I love their food....probably more bad stuff in the food than anything else cooked in any other place in the orthern Hemishere...chloresteral, artery clogging grease, saturated fat, dead animal steroids, weird chemicals, salt, growth promoting stuff and loads of carcinigens....but it tastes great. I took a trip this past weekend....I came across six of my favorite WAFFLE HOUSES and found them closed and the windows covered with plywood. Is WAFFLE HOUSE closing down or just cutting back?....downsizing.?There's a WAFFLE HOUSE down at Route 234 and I-95....I'm afraid to go down to see if it has survived....After my bride died, it was where I went when I couldn't sleep....it was where I went to hear human interaction...listen to folks with the intellect of a Hostess TWINKIE, solve political problems, solve diplomatic questions....and figure who needed to be chastised with nuclear weapons. A-Bombs, stealth missles, and when we should air drop rabid wolves on folks.....WAFFLE HOUSES are the greatest solution to depression, loneliness and when you face life abandonment. Somebody let me know...Does WAFFLE HOUSE need a bailout? Is it tubing? Somebody let me know....PLEASE. DEX
Park Dallis
Posted 2009-05-19 3:35 PM (#26810 - in reply to #26809)

Old Salt

Subject: Mmmmmmmmmmmm, Waffles...

I went to Google news and searched for Waffle House.  No announcement of closings, mostly stories about WH employees being shot, but one story about the restoration plans for the nation's oldest Waffle House.

ATLANTA, May 3 (UPI) -- The DeKalb (Ga.) County Commission has made the nation's first Waffle House a historic property.

The company plans to turn the location in Decatur, Ga., into a museum, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported Sunday.

The request was approved last week by county commissioners. Thenewspaper noted that the company is restoring the building to the stateit was in when it opened in 1955.

Decatur, Georgia, my home town.  As a teenager, we'd often make this our last stop before going home after a night out.

Ric
Posted 2009-05-19 3:44 PM (#26811 - in reply to #26809)

Plankowner

Subject: RE: WAFFLE HOUSE

When I was traveling for work we had a black kid from Vicksburg named Thruman working for us out of our Atlanta office. A very soft spoken, polite young man with a southern drawl that would have the women flocking to him all the time. When ever we'd get together with the team and try and decide where to eat he'd always come up with Waffle House. It became a joke to many but Thurman loved the Waffle House. Can't say I can can hold a bright like on the establishment but it does fill you up. Now IHOP, you remember IHOP don't you Dex? LOL
Stoops
Posted 2009-05-19 4:57 PM (#26812 - in reply to #26809)
Master and Commander

I have always like Waffle House.....they are open when you need them....their quality is more consistent than McDonalds (Who I do not patronize) and they are quick. I have yet to find a single Waffle House that wasn't staffed with friendly, polite, and usually folks who just had a ball talking with folks.

When Dex had posted his stories about Waffle House, I knew exactly what he was talking about.

They have a good business model.....they get you in and out, give you quality food at good prices....it's not a place to lounge....it's a place to get a damn good meal at a damned good price and get you back on the road.

And their waffles, in my opinion are much better than the pancakes at IHOP.

Back when Big John and I were doing surveys in Beaumont, we found a route that shaved 15 minutes off our travel time to the site in Beaumont, and took us by a Waffle House. We saved time and money by stopping at the Waffle House instead of the IHOP on the other route.....

Got no complaints on Waffle House....good company, good employees, good food, good prices................

whalen
Posted 2009-05-19 10:03 PM (#26814 - in reply to #26809)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: I'M A EAT AT THE WAFFLE HOUSE!

I'M A EAT AT THE WAFFLE HOUSE!

http://byronsolomon.com/blog/ImageBrowser/2PimpsandADream-WaffleHouse.wmv

Wow, I can see why you guys like this place!

I'M A EAT AT THE WAFFLE HOUSE TOO!

dex armstrong
Posted 2009-05-20 5:11 AM (#26815 - in reply to #26809)

COMSUBBBS

The supposition here is that one particular regional franchise has gone belly-up, but there is no pandemic (where in the hell did the bastards turn that expression up?) viral nation wide terminal illness. Hope that's the case. I am a WAFFLE HOUSE guy....a waffle, small orange juice, black coffee that will float railroad locomotive parts, a large glass of ice cold milk, two sausage patties, hash browns, toast with Smuckers grape jelly seved by a Clairol, big busted blonde named Trixie, Betty or Dotty.....IHOP used to be the International House of Pancakes...They lost me when they started serving weird flavored syrup, pancakes with fruit, nuts,and leftover VW parts...name change didn't help...sausage still tasted like gound up possum. Kentucky Fried Chicken became KFC because they switched from chicken to pigeons. Ever notice how the drumsticks all come with little aluminum leg bands? No sir, I am a loyal, life long WAFFLE HOUSE devotee...Anyone remember TODDLE HOUSE...HUDDLE HOUSE...and LITTLE TAVERNS? DEX
Don Gentry
Posted 2009-05-20 6:31 AM (#26816 - in reply to #26809)

Admin

Alive and well it seems: http://www.wafflehouse.com/
Doc Gardner
Posted 2009-05-20 6:57 AM (#26818 - in reply to #26815)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: WAFFLE HOUSE - Toddle House and other stuff

dex armstrong - 2009-05-20 8:11 AM

The supposition here is that one particular regional franchise has gone belly-up, but there is no pandemic (where in the hell did the bastards turn that expression up?) viral nation wide terminal illness. Hope that's the case. I am a WAFFLE HOUSE guy....a waffle, small orange juice, black coffee that will float railroad locomotive parts, a large glass of ice cold milk, two sausage patties, hash browns, toast with Smuckers grape jelly seved by a Clairol, big busted blonde named Trixie, Betty or Dotty.....IHOP used to be the International House of Pancakes...They lost me when they started serving weird flavored syrup, pancakes with fruit, nuts,and leftover VW parts...name change didn't help...sausage still tasted like gound up possum. Kentucky Fried Chicken became KFC because they switched from chicken to pigeons. Ever notice how the drumsticks all come with little aluminum leg bands? No sir, I am a loyal, life long WAFFLE HOUSE devotee...Anyone remember TODDLE HOUSE...HUDDLE HOUSE...and LITTLE TAVERNS? DEX

Slow day at work today so I looked up the Toddle House and learned that a regional manager of Toddle House, Joe Rogers, was the founder of Waffle House. The son of the original founder of Toddle House founded FedEx; his name was James Frederick Smith
See what happens when you have too much time on your hands?

Edited by Doc Gardner 2009-05-20 10:10 AM
Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2009-05-22 11:43 PM (#26946 - in reply to #26809)

Great Sage of the Sea

I remember two Waffle Houses in Charleston - one was next to a hotel on the way into the airport and Charleston Air Force Base off of Rivers Avenue. The other was at a Day's Inn, about half way between Dorchester Road and the traffic circle in North Charleston. Used to stop there regularly on the way home from a night trying to romance the barmaid/cook at the Flying Dutchman Country-side. Had all the things Dex described, 'cept the waitresses weren't all blondes, but they were as easy to look at as the food was good to eat.

They were both still there when I went back to Charleston in 1990 for IMA Nuc Repair School. But I've never seen one west of Texas. Don't much care for IHOP, myself, either. Out here in Central California we have a chain called Country Waffles, and the food is a lot like the Waffle House, but they are only open for breakfast & lunch - 0600 to 1400 or something like that. After midnight you either go to Denny's, a truck stop diner, or a fast-food drive-through.

Any home-sick Southerners want to partner up and open a Waffle House franchise out here?

Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2009-05-22 11:46 PM (#26947 - in reply to #26809)

Great Sage of the Sea

I clicked on Gentry's link, and Lo and Behold! there's a Waffle House in Sacramento.

Gonna have to stop by next time I'm up that way.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software