Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: A submarine often navigates by sound when submerged. Sound can travel 3,000 nautical miles or more through water.
I remember Holy Loch EM Club
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2009-05-17 10:04 AM (#26697)
Master and Commander

Subject: I remember Holy Loch EM Club

When you stood Shore Patrol, you were required to check female guests against a book. In it were the pictures of all local women that were known to have STD's and refused treatment. They were banned from the club. Yesterday I was watching TV when in a Tech Report they said local restaurants had banned together and maintained a web site of all the locals that had caused problems in any restaurant. That way the bouncers could see who was trouble. Life repaets itself. I wonder if the Navy Clubs now maintain laptops with guest information? Plus, with the New Navy, I wonder if guy's pics are in there? The one I remember most was a sixty something year old, that definately looked eighty.

Edited by Sewer Pipe Snipe 2009-05-17 10:05 AM
Thomas Courtien
Posted 2009-05-18 5:56 AM (#26716 - in reply to #26697)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: I remember Holy Loch EM Club

The pubs in town closed at 10PM (maybe 11PM) and everyone went to the club near the pier.

My recollection was the girls needed an ID card issued by someone in order to get into the club.

The common story was that they were willing to submit to physical exams in order to get the ID card.

One of the memorable parts of Holy Loch was coimg out of a bar late at night in June and it was still daylight outside.
whalen
Posted 2009-05-18 6:28 AM (#26717 - in reply to #26716)

Great Sage of the Sea

I got thrown INTO that EM club.  We were lined up on the porch waiting for somebody at the door to say when we could go in (it was VERY crowded...).  There was an open window, I was leaning on the sill talking to some people inside, and all of a sudden some of my "buddies" decided I should go in (head) first to save us a table.  We (I) did not get away with it.

xx

Edited by whalen 2009-05-18 6:30 AM
Tom McNulty
Posted 2009-05-18 8:02 AM (#26719 - in reply to #26697)

Master and Commander

I remember that the girls they let in had to have a special ID card. I must have spent a fortune in that place. It was the go to place to start the evening and then off to town or towns as it could be. I remember Izzy who had a laugh that included one helluva snort sound. She had a good sense of humor about it and before long the whole bar was in stitches. I made it a hobby to get her laughing. I think that was the Acey/Deucy though. Ian was the bartender who never cut anyone off, much to my sorrow on more than a few nights. In town it was the Argyll and Crown. We had a place we went to in Greenock but it escapes me now. The EM club was most crowded from Thursday on to about Sunday. If you don't remember the reason why you just haven't spent much time there.
RCK
Posted 2009-05-18 9:24 AM (#26724 - in reply to #26697)
Master and Commander

I remember going into every EM Club I ever visited, but I don't recall ever leaving one!!
Bill Linne
Posted 2009-05-20 5:08 PM (#26851 - in reply to #26697)

Senior Crew

What I remember is coming out of that place and buying fish & chips from one of the "cart" vendors on the street.  No matter what time of the night - that was good eating for a bunch of drunks!  Seems like so long ago, then again, only yesterday.  1970 & 1971.  Man, to be that young again!

Bill
Tom McNulty
Posted 2009-05-21 5:53 AM (#26865 - in reply to #26851)

Master and Commander

Are you saying you never bought the UK equivalents of White Castles? Those mutton burgers did the lube trick for sure. I remember the caravan (that's what the Scots called them) next to the pier being run by a father and daughter team. Nice folks.
Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2009-05-22 11:21 PM (#26945 - in reply to #26851)

Great Sage of the Sea

I remember a small "caravan" - travel trailer - set up as a snack shop when I rode 622 Blue between 79 and 82. Candy bars, hot dogs, soda, Scotch (pickled) eggs.

We had an MM1 in our section, Stan Potera, who used to top off a night in town with a can of coke and a couple (3) Scotch Eggs from that cart while we waited for the boats to take us out to the tender.

Next morning, Stan, as senior MM in the section, always took the first watch. By that time the Scotch Eggs (and all the British beer) had generated a fine batch of gas in his system. WOE Unto whomever had the first watch in Manuevering - Stan could project a putrid green cloud 10 feet into that small space, and there was nowhere to hide. Especially if he turned off the vent fan first.

Could have used him at Guantanamo or Abu Graibh.

I always had my EAB mask out and within reach when I had the first watch.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software