Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "...anyone who knows a submariner, (as well as anyone can know a submariner), knows that even after he retires he never really leaves the boats." Submarine: Steel Boats: Iron Men
YO DEX...
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2009-05-11 12:41 PM (#26550)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: YO DEX...

Someone has to teach you how to empty your voice mail...SHEESH!!!  Tried to call...can't even leave a message. 

Anyway, I wanted to let you know that your buddy, John Wynn, is on the road...or maybe you already know it. 
I talked with someone up at Groton Base yesterday morning at breakfast and they told me that John and Lynn
are down your way, traveling in the camper.  He seems to be in good spirits and good health...THANK YOU, GOD!
But they are traveling down there...not exactly sure where...

So, that is the news of John...so far!
dex armstrong
Posted 2009-05-11 2:09 PM (#26551 - in reply to #26550)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: YO DEX...

Patti, For the 200th time. When I signed up for Verizon FIOS. I requested phone service with (A) No Voice Mail (B) No call waiting (C) No frills, unessential bulls**t, Advertising intrusions or anything other that what a 1940's Bell System telephone circa 1940 came with...If the sonuvabitch rang and you were home. you answered it...if it rang and you weren't home, you didn't. That's what I have. I don't like to come home and listen to thirty minutes of phone calls telling me folks died, were in a car wreck...won $10 in the lottery...found that gas has gone up three cents in a week....Inviting me to come sit with ten other over-the-hill jerks and swill beer at a local watering hole. So I intentionally allow my cyber verbage dumpster to remain fully loaded and never blow my tanks. I don't like electric door opening secret signals unlocking key fobs....but if you buy a car you're stuck with the damn things...like it or not. If it was up to me I would wear animal skins, make myself birch bark shoes, and eat raw meat off a pointed stick... A full voicemail box is like a major toilet back-up in the world I live in....I hate voicemail and do my damndest to deny its' existence and ignore it. After so many days of a message snorkeling around my septic tank waiting room, the Magic God of Unwanted Crap flushes it.....and I include him in my annual Thanksgiving "THANK YOU's" I'm not totally convinced that all this modern technological has improved our lives....Bastards talking on cell phones or text messaging while tooling down the inter-state just below the speed of sound are not, in my estimation...a good thing. Having the expense of suveilance camera footage included in my TIC TAC purchase or folks logging in to check on your bank balance, payment habits, credit rating, card limits, shoe size....and regularity of bowel movements doesn't appear to be consistent with the intent as explained by the founders. A lot of it is like issuing night vision goggles to peeping Toms. Patti, Don't leave messages....they only lead a lonely life until they complete their sentence only to be paroled in the nearest dumpster. DEX
Park Dallis
Posted 2009-05-11 2:11 PM (#26552 - in reply to #26550)

Old Salt

Subject: Yo Lumpy...!

Didn't you read DEX's comment to you re: the voice mail...?

"When you call,and I'm not here the little Verizon phone pixie hookerwill tell you that my phone message box is full....There's a reason forthis.... I hate the damn thing...didn't want it...you spend too muchtime prying stuff out of it...."

That's his excuse.  I think that it's just too much to ask a knuckle-draggin' TM to cipher out how the thing works.  The thing is he's paying for it in his phone bill.  He could just call his C&P Telephone and have them take it off his account.

Belay my last...  looks like DEX posted while I was typing.

Edited by Park Dallis 2009-05-11 2:13 PM
dex armstrong
Posted 2009-05-11 4:02 PM (#26557 - in reply to #26550)

COMSUBBBS

Park Dallas, has hit the nail on the head.....If Verizon comes up with something one step up from two bean cans and a string, I'll be one of the first to sign up. I believe that just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should do it....Who'n the hell needs scented toilet paper? Fat free refried beans? Forty seven varieties of Pepsi? Disposable razor blades that cost more than ten bucks for six? Poly composition wine bottle corks? Men's colonge that costs more than fifty bucks a bottle? I use my telephone as a convenience, not as a device that consumes unnecessary time and is a pain in the hippockets. We are a nation that has turned over personal independence to the dictates of technological advancement. I am seriously considering taping sticky notes to snapping turtles and UP'sing them to people. DEX
Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2009-05-11 10:15 PM (#26565 - in reply to #26551)

Great Sage of the Sea

dex armstrong - 2009-05-11 12:09 PM

I'm not totally convinced that all this modern technological has improved our lives....Bastards talking on cell phones or text messaging while tooling down the inter-state just below the speed of sound are not, in my estimation...a good thing.
DEX

Which is precisely why I do not own any type of cell phone. And if I do ever get one, it will be bare-bones, emergency-use-only. Just in case the car breaks down in the middle of nowhere, or I come upon someone else broke down and need to call for help.

There are enough distractions on the road nowadays, without the phone ringing every 5 minutes. And now the telemarketers are using robocallers that dial random phone numbers, so they bypass the "DO NOT CALL" list and violate the federal ban on telemarketing calls to cell phones.....

"Your auto warrantee is about to expire" .... my car is so old, they didn't have telemarketers when it's warrantee expired.

MAD DOG
Posted 2009-05-12 2:54 AM (#26566 - in reply to #26565)

Master and Commander

I got tired of telling those "your car warrantee is about to expire"jackasses
that I don't own a car so my last conversation with them went something like this:
She:"Sir,what year is your automobile?"
Me:"1947"
She:"what is the make of your automobile?"
Me:"Henway"
She:"Oh,what's a Henway?"
Me:"About a pound and a half"
She:"WISEASS!"(click)
They haven't called me since.
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-05-12 4:17 AM (#26567 - in reply to #26566)
COMSUBBBS

Mad Dog, you use the same Tactic that I've used. String them along and take up a bunch of their time for nothing. The calls do drastically slow down and stop.
dex armstrong
Posted 2009-05-13 5:56 PM (#26614 - in reply to #26550)

COMSUBBBS

Ralph, We've got sonuvabitches up here who call you about your "mortgage"...."Mister Armstrong...Our records indicate that you are paying far too much for your present mortgage. We would like the oportunity to meet with you and show you how we can reduce your monthly payments to a range of affordability you will find amazing." "I sure as hell would find it amazing since my house is paid off...Your "records" don't appear to be worth a good g--dam...Lotsa luck Bozo." Ralph...somewhere in time we shared common ancestry....MAD DOG and I think so much alike on a vast aray of subjects that we may have been issued brains with consequitive (sp?) serial numbers or were cloned from the same monkey. I HATE phone solicitation....The NO CALL LIST is a sad joke. DEX
dex armstrong
Posted 2009-05-13 5:57 PM (#26615 - in reply to #26550)

COMSUBBBS

Ralph, We've got sonuvabitches up here who call you about your "mortgage"...."Mister Armstrong...Our records indicate that you are paying far too much for your present mortgage. We would like the oportunity to meet with you and show you how we can reduce your monthly payments to a range of affordability you will find amazing." "I sure as hell would find it amazing since my house is paid off...Your "records" don't appear to be worth a good g--dam...Lotsa luck Bozo." Ralph...somewhere in time we shared common ancestry....MAD DOG and I think so much alike on a vast aray of subjects that we may have been issued brains with consequitive (sp?) serial numbers or were cloned from the same monkey. I HATE phone solicitation....The NO CALL LIST is a sad joke. DEX
miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2009-05-13 6:52 PM (#26622 - in reply to #26614)

COMSUBBBS

I'd like to find out "how" these BOZOS get to have local phone numbers, such as here in NY where we live, they have resorted to getting local numbers and they aren't even in the State...
Corabelle
Posted 2009-05-13 6:59 PM (#26625 - in reply to #26567)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Ralph -How can you 'string-along' a recording?

I tried just today. It was a lady's voice telling me that my credit card insterest rate is much roo high. Since I pay my credit card off every month, the interest rate doesn't concern me. I don't even know what it is.

I tried to out-talk her, but she continued to talk hrough my 'talking,' so I knew it had to be a taped message.

Cora

Edited by Corabelle 2009-05-14 10:52 AM
MAD DOG
Posted 2009-05-13 7:39 PM (#26629 - in reply to #26614)

Master and Commander

common ancestry....MAD DOG and I think so much alike on a vast aray of subjects that we may have been issued brains with consequitive (sp?) serial numbers or were cloned from the same monkey...........Dex

I hear that President Obama has allocated 3 trillion dollars to form a commitee
to find that monkey and deposit his DNA in the same location as the nuclear
waste from Three Mile Island.He is determined to ensure that the same mistake
is not repeated.
Roy Ator
Posted 2009-05-13 8:43 PM (#26636 - in reply to #26615)

Great Sage of the Sea

Please! Remind me not to call Dex. A snapping turtle might just capture a precious organ? This whole string implies a "DO NOT CALL MESSAGE"! Ouch ~

I'll attempt to restrain from dialing that obnoxious number again....
Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2009-05-13 10:38 PM (#26640 - in reply to #26622)

Great Sage of the Sea

miss lumpy bumps - 2009-05-13 4:52 PM

I'd like to find out "how" these BOZOS get to have local phone numbers, such as here in NY where we live, they have resorted to getting local numbers and they aren't even in the State...

Call-Forwarding. They get a local number, and set it up to forward calls to their real office somewhere else. Don't even need a local office with a real phone - with the current computerized switchgear, it can all be done through the phone company's central office.

Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2009-05-13 10:49 PM (#26641 - in reply to #26625)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: Ralph -How can you 'string-along' a recording?

Corabelle - 2009-05-13 4:59 PM

I tried just today. It was a lady's voice telling me that my credit card insterest rate is much too high. Since I pay my credit card off every month, the interest rate doesn't concern me. I don't even know what it is.

I tried to out-talk her, but she continued to talk hrough my 'talking,' so I knew it had to be a taped message.

Cora

You have to wait until the canned sales-pitch is done. At the end of the recording, they tell you to "Press 1 to speak to an account advisor, or press 9 to be removed from our calling list" or something like that.

As soon as I recognize the call is a recording, I punch "9" rapidly about 10 times, until the call disconnects itself.

As much fun as it may be to mess with the poor shmuck in the call center, I have better things to do with my time - like sit under the mulberry trees, with a cold drink, a good book, and my dog at my feet. It was 85 here in Central California this afternoon, but only 70 on the patio under my trees.

Summer time....... and the livin' is easy.....

Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2009-05-13 10:57 PM (#26642 - in reply to #26615)

Great Sage of the Sea

It's the robo-dialers that dial random phone numbers. They bypass the "Do Not Call" list (violation of Federal Law), and often as not call cell phones ('nother violation of Federal Law). Saw US Senator Chuck Shumer (D-NY) on the news complaining that they got him on his private/secret cell phone during a Congressional Committee hearing! And he wasn't the only one!

Another news bulletin from the Federal Trade Commission reports that enforcement action against several such companies is "emminent" (aka "REAL SOON NOW").

Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-05-14 5:49 AM (#26649 - in reply to #26615)
COMSUBBBS

Ralph...somewhere in time we shared common ancestry....MAD DOG and I think so much alike on a vast aray of subjects that we may have been issued brains with consequitive (sp?) serial numbers or were cloned from the same monkey.

GREAT CEASER"S GHOST !!!!!!!!! Can you even begin to imagine... Dex, Mad Dog and me related? Cora couldn't take it. And I'm certain Patti would run around in circles pulling her hair out. Must have something to do with being "Swines of the Highest Order"
Made my day, Dex.
Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2009-05-14 9:24 AM (#26653 - in reply to #26615)

Great Sage of the Sea

dex armstrong - 2009-05-13 3:57 PM

Ralph...somewhere in time we shared common ancestry....MAD DOG and I think so much alike on a vast aray of subjects that we may have been issued brains with consequitive (sp?) serial numbers or were cloned from the same monkey.. DEX

If you accept the Biblical account as literal truth, we are all distant cousins, going back to Great-great-......Uncle Noah Zark.

Now, there's a scary thought.

Ric
Posted 2009-05-14 9:40 AM (#26654 - in reply to #26642)

Plankowner

Subject: "Do Not Call" list

I only have a cell and it is listed on the "Do Not Call" list. When I get one of those I get the company name and the persons name and them turn them in. it is a $10,000.00 fine to the company. I never get another call from them. You have to report them to make it work! I started to get spam text messages. I just made sure that the text function of my cell was discontinued and found that my cell cost was also reduced. I never used it and do not miss it at all. Why text when you can speak to the person faster. I think these phones with all the crap in them is ridiculous. I have friends who have them and they are fumbling with them all the time for stuff they don't need to do right then anyway.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software