Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "They weren't just hull numbers, they were our home addresses. Now the old neighborhood is torn down and gone and all that is left are memories." -- Dick Murphy, USS Tiru SS 416
What ever happened to drive in movies?
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

RCK
Posted 2009-05-10 3:54 PM (#26519)
Master and Commander

Subject: What ever happened to drive in movies?

When I was a teenager there used to be alot of drive in movies that showed horror movies and stuff. I wonder what happened that made them disappear? It was alot of fun piling a bunch of you friends in your 4 wheeled demon of destruction and spending the evening watching the flick or just horsing around. Usually smuggled in some beer. A was a great place to go with your date and make out. Didn't care what was on the screen then. I know of one in Kearney Neb. that I think is still working but that's about the limit. Those were the good old days!!!

Edited by RCK 2009-05-10 3:54 PM
steamboat
Posted 2009-05-10 5:16 PM (#26523 - in reply to #26519)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: What ever happened to drive in movies?

Yep, I remember piling 5 or 6 shipmates in someones old sedan, pick up some beer and a bottle and cruise on up to the drive-in on Stock Island, just north of Key West. One time we were so snockered that we took out a couple of the speaker posts on the way out. A cheap drunk for a bunch of eternally broke swabbies.
"Let the good time roll"
Steamboat sends
Tom Conlon
Posted 2009-05-10 6:25 PM (#26529 - in reply to #26519)
Old Salt

Usta be one here in NJ about 5 miles from my house (in a town called Rutherford, alongside State Highway 3). At the time I had a 1972 hatchback Pinto. When my wife & I were quite a bit younger we would pack up the kids, drop the back seat of the car to make a "bed" of sorts and take the kids out for the evening.

Eventually the kids would fall asleep & we would enjoy the movie. Didn't care what the movie was, it was an "evening out"; and a "cheap" one, too. It didn't cost a lot, but it didn't matter because we didn't have a lot of money either.

Bet you didn't know that the drive-in movie was invented here in New Jersey.
JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2009-05-10 6:29 PM (#26530 - in reply to #26523)

Master and Commander

The an$wer to your que$tion i$ money! The cost/benefit ratio against the plot of ground the drive-in occupied fell below profitibility, and they closed. Also fewer and fewer people attended the drivel-in, and when the audience disappears, so does the profits. They simply died away. Whay staved of closing for many of the drive-ins was a saturday or sunday swap-meet, but even then the income from admittance, parking and vendor charges couldn't cover the expenses.

Take the square footage of that drive-in, and put a strip mall on that plot of ground, and your profits will soar tremendously. Then put in a 12 or 15 or 18 screen walk-in theater in that strip mall, and you make money hand over fist.
GaryKC
Posted 2009-05-10 8:21 PM (#26532 - in reply to #26519)

COMSUBBBS

Yes, Great old days indeed. There were many reasons for their demise, I believe this is a major one.

(sonyvcr.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments sonyvcr.jpg (52KB - 471 downloads)
Gil
Posted 2009-05-11 7:38 AM (#26540 - in reply to #26519)
Master and Commander

I think, but I'm not positive that in SoCal the reason for their demise was the escalation of land value.  The "passion pits" were pretty much like getting a motel room here.
John Bay
Posted 2009-05-11 3:19 PM (#26555 - in reply to #26519)
Old Salt

Got one a mile up Rte 1 here in Saco... Looking forward to taking the lady there this summer. Wonder if we can fog up the windows like the old days at the "Finger Bowl"?

dex armstrong
Posted 2009-05-11 4:50 PM (#26559 - in reply to #26519)

COMSUBBBS

Radolph Scott died. The Creature from the Black Lagoon disappeared. Teenagers found there were other locations where you could be more comfortable making out than an automobile back seat.....When the pirates who ran the food concession started asking you to take a second mortgage for a ten inch plate of nachos. and, a large cup of pop passed the price of a glass of Chateau Lafite Rothchild. I don't know about the cost of real estate making the take at the Drive-In a poor choice of real estate usage. My Drive-In was five miles out of town next to a junk yard, and lumber mill.....about a half mile from the county landfill, that at the time I went to the Dixie Drive-In, was simple known as,"the DUMP". No, when they quit making Commando Cody serials. When Johnny Weismuller got replaced as Tarzan....When Red Ryder and Little Beaver retired....When Ester Williams grew too old to turn 15 year old boys on....TV knocked a hole in the evening entertainment TEXACO brought you Ed Wynn, Sid Ceaser and The Hit Parade, and Jack Benny and cowboy shows came into your living room for free and making out on the downstairs couch became popular. Jiffy Pop that you could pop on the stove made a helluva lot more economic sense than shelling out for that stale stuff with the rancid butter they hawked for a couple of bucks at the concession stand. But the main thing that did 'em in was by 1954 every kid had drive-in speaker hanging on the headboard of his bed. DEX
subvetss
Posted 2009-05-12 6:34 AM (#26568 - in reply to #26519)
Senior Crew

Where I lost my virginity in my Dad's car.
Joe'the'Most

(8.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 8.jpg (86KB - 507 downloads)
Corabelle
Posted 2009-05-12 11:02 AM (#26577 - in reply to #26568)

COMSUBBBS

But, how was the movie, Joe?

Cora
whalen
Posted 2009-05-12 12:10 PM (#26578 - in reply to #26568)

Great Sage of the Sea

Oh yeah, Joe!  I remember the Mountain Drive-in out on RT52.  I don't remember seeing any movies while I was there though.....
RCK
Posted 2009-05-12 1:47 PM (#26580 - in reply to #26578)
Master and Commander

whalen - 2009-05-12 12:10 PM

Oh yeah, Joe!  I remember the Mountain Drive-in out on RT52.  I don't remember seeing any movies while I was there though.....

Musta needed glasses back then too huh!!!
Blue from West Oz
Posted 2009-05-12 2:54 PM (#26582 - in reply to #26532)

Master and Commander

Yes, the introduction of the video player was the major reason for the decline on Drive ins.......loved going to them as a kid, especially when my uncle would sneak me in.

I believe we only have one left in the Perth area.

Blue *_*
subvetss
Posted 2009-05-12 3:19 PM (#26583 - in reply to #26577)
Senior Crew

I didn't know they showed movies!!!
Joe'the'Most
Bear
Posted 2009-05-13 7:02 PM (#26626 - in reply to #26519)

Great Sage of the Sea

we have one still locally but I haven't been in a couple years.

What ever became of the on near the base in New London remember see MASH at that one plus alot of B (for Busty) Russ Meyers movies there as well. Seems to me it was still there in the 80's when we were building Michigan.

Buc1369
Posted 2009-05-14 4:43 AM (#26645 - in reply to #26519)
Crew

Bear, The drive in movie in Groton has been replace by a shopping center, soon after the Michigan left. Also
gone is the one in Montville area along 32. There is one left in CT somewhere, But I'm not searching for it.
PaulR
Posted 2009-05-14 5:19 AM (#26646 - in reply to #26626)

Master and Commander

Bear - 2009-05-13 10:02 PM

we have one still locally but I haven't been in a couple years.

What ever became of the on near the base in New London remember see MASH at that one plus alot of B (for Busty) Russ Meyers movies there as well. Seems to me it was still there in the 80's when we were building Michigan.

I had my first experience with pop-top cans at that drive-in in Groton, as I recall.  Damn near sliced a finger off in the dark.

That other "experience" came many years later.
Bear
Posted 2009-05-15 1:17 PM (#26663 - in reply to #26519)

Great Sage of the Sea

I went to the movies last night and saw Star Trek on an IMAX  damn good movie really wish there were more drive ins still around as I would like to go see it again but on a nice summer evening in the bed of my pickup
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software