Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "They weren't just hull numbers, they were our home addresses. Now the old neighborhood is torn down and gone and all that is left are memories." -- Dick Murphy, USS Tiru SS 416
Obit Messenger results for 05/06/09
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Pig
Posted 2009-05-06 11:49 AM (#26363)
Plankowner

Subject: Obit Messenger results for 05/06/09

- (The Virginian Pilot)
BLOUNT, Robert Haddock, RADM, USN, Ret., 86, died May 4, 2009. He was born December 8, 1922 in Miami, FL and served 38 years in the Navy. He was a nuclear submariner. He served on the cruiser Rochester, the submarines Cutlass, Tirante, Tunny, and was executive officer of Cusk. From July 1959 to December 1967, he commanded three submarines, the USS Barbero, a Regulus missile ship; the USS Permit, a nuclear attack submarine; and the USS Patrick Henry, a fleet ballistic missile nuclear submarine. He served on a joint staff in Washington before reporting as chief of staff for Submarine Flotilla Six in Charleston, S.C. He was commanding officer of the Charleston Naval Station when he was selected to the rank of rear admiral in March 1973. In May 1973, he became Commander U.S. Naval Forces, Southern Command, Commandant Fifteenth Naval District, Canal Zone. In May 1975, he returned to Washington, D.C., to serve in the office of Research and Development of the Chief of Naval Operations. He became Commander Operational Test and Evaluation Force in August 1978 and retired from that position in September 1982. He served in business including Sippican and EDO until his retirement May 1990. His decorations include the Distinguished Service Medal, the Navy's highest peacetime award. He attended Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, was a 1947 graduate of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and was awarded a master's of business administration from George Washington University. He is survived by his two daughters, Barbara Blount Powell of Gainesville, Fla., and Jennifer Blount Sanford of Norfolk, their husbands, Dana Scott Powell and Stricker Coles Sanford IV, and four grandchildren, Mary Peyton Blount Sanford, Virginia Reading Sanford, Barclay Blount Powell, and Robert Skylar Powell. Adm. Blount was a member of the Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd, the Norfolk Yacht and Country Club, the Rotary Club of Norfolk, the Dolphin Scholarship Foundation Board, the Naval Submarine League, the Navy League, past president of the Lochhaven Civic League and formerly a member of the New York Yacht Club and Army-Navy Country Club. He was also a proud member of the Friday Philosophers Family. A funeral will be held at 11 a.m. Friday in the Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd by the Rev. Robert Davenport. Burial will be in Arlington National Cemetery on a date to be determined. The family will receive friends Thursday from 6 to 7:30 p.m. in H.D. Oliver Funeral Apts. In lieu of flowers, memorial gifts may be made to the Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd, 7400 Hampton Blvd., Norfolk, VA 23505 or the Dolphin Scholarship Foundation, 4966 Euclid Road, Suite 109, Virginia Beach, VA 23462. Online condolences may be sent to hdoliver.com.

Tom McNulty
Posted 2009-05-06 1:06 PM (#26365 - in reply to #26363)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Obit Messenger results for 05/06/09

He was one was my COs on the 599 boat. A real gentleman who, as far as I can recall was well liked by the entire crew. It was he who wrote a letter on my behalf that got me MT"C" school when all other venues failed. He was responsible for my ultimate success as an MT. Thank you for your long service and my personal thanks for what he did for me.
Stoops
Posted 2009-05-06 4:27 PM (#26380 - in reply to #26363)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Obit Messenger results for 05/06/09

I had never had the opportunity to meet the man. John Fredricks was over at the house one afternoon while we were working on scanning his submarine cachets and those of the first female MOH winner, and I mentioned Capt Blount as being first CO of Permit....John says, "I know him"....I'm incredulous....but turns out John met him on the Cutlass..
I did talk to him on the phone once to invite him to the first PERMIT reunion, but his wife was in poor health and he couldn't make it.

I was hoping there was an address for a cutlass reunion organization, but the only real Cutlass home page is John Fredricks and John is now welcoming his old skipper aboard in the eternal patrol area.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software