Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The first boat known to have been navigated under water was built in 1620 by a Dutchman, Cornelius Van Drebbel. Van Drebbel is said to have developed a chemical which would purify the air and allow the crew to stay submerged for extended periods.
The Challenge Goes On
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Tom Conlon
Posted 2009-05-02 10:42 AM (#26249)
Old Salt

Subject: The Challenge Goes On

As some of you may know, I've been "fighting" Prostate Cancer issues for the last several years.

Back in the Fall, I was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer. Over the ensuing months, I learned more than I *ever* wanted to know about Prostate Cancer.

Bottom line: Two weeks ago, I "underwent the knife" (actually robot). Prostate and some surrounding tissue came out. This past Thursday, I received the Pathology report. Result: To quote Dr. & nurse, the report was "as good as it gets." No cancer cells had "escaped" the prostate capsule, so they apparently got everything.

My situation is a testament to watching PSA carefully and making a decision early.

I was also fortunate that my Urologist happens to be a leader in the field of robotic surgery (that was the luck of the draw).

I'm also blessed that I have a "mentor" who recently went through the procedure. He has told me what to expect and how to handle the "hurdles" I've encountered.

If you *have* to have this type of surgery, I strongly suggest that you have such a mentor. It makes the "journey" easier if you have someone to talk to about things. I intend to act a mentor if anyone needs one.

To those of you who knew about my situation, I say "Thank You" for your concern and prayers - they obviously worked. Either that or God doesn't need any more TMs right now.

To those who didn't know, thanks for letting me ramble on. It helps to talk about things with shipmates.
Thomas Courtien
Posted 2009-05-02 11:17 AM (#26251 - in reply to #26249)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: The Challenge Goes On

I did not know this; you will be in my thoughts and prayers.

I get a PSA and DRE every 12 months.
Land Lubber
Posted 2009-05-02 2:03 PM (#26253 - in reply to #26249)
Old Salt

That is terrific news!!! Glad they got it all!!! What a relief that must be for you. Good news!
Steve
Runner485
Posted 2009-05-02 3:24 PM (#26254 - in reply to #26249)

COMSUBBBS

That's good news Tom. Sounds like you had a real good medical team...
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-05-02 5:08 PM (#26259 - in reply to #26249)
COMSUBBBS

Great news, Tom. Prayer works!!!!!
Blue from West Oz
Posted 2009-05-02 5:15 PM (#26260 - in reply to #26249)

Master and Commander

I must have missed this news along the way, sorry about that Tom!

However, I am glad that Heaven is full of TM's right now and you get to pass on your knowledge to the rest of us.

Excellent

Blue *_*
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-05-02 5:22 PM (#26262 - in reply to #26260)
COMSUBBBS

TM's in heaven ??????????? GREAT SCOTT !!!! Where in the world did you dig up that information? Truely you jest. That's about as far out of wack as those muslims claiming 72 virgins.
FredP
Posted 2009-05-02 6:23 PM (#26269 - in reply to #26249)

Mess cooking

Tom, "GREAT NEWS" I hadn't heard of your problems, but glad I heard about them when the news was good. Seeya soon, FredP
BlackBeard
Posted 2009-05-02 10:23 PM (#26272 - in reply to #26249)

Great Sage of the Sea

Great news Tom! Congratulations.

BB
Palm Bay Ken
Posted 2009-05-03 4:54 AM (#26273 - in reply to #26249)

Great Sage of the Sea

Congratulations on the follow-up results Tom! I'm in the same situation with a different solution.... PSA increasing over a 3 year period... biopsy in 1/2008 with negative results... biopsy in 1/2009 with stage 2 cancer diagnosis... completed my 38th treatment on Friday of Image Guided Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy with only 10 more sessions to go. My Oncologist predicts a 95% cure rate (he developed the IGIMRT procedure) and I'll be keeping my fingers crossed until my follow-up PSA test on June 15th.

Bottom line shipmates... Get your PSA tested!!
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-05-03 6:29 AM (#26274 - in reply to #26273)
COMSUBBBS

Hopes and prayers are there for you Ken. I know it's tough,but, stay positive,
Dave Follo
Posted 2009-05-03 11:47 AM (#26282 - in reply to #26249)
Crew

Congratulations Tom. I hadn't heard of this treatment, nor the one Ken mentioned in his post. Six years ago I had the radioactive seed implant treatment. So far, so good. Going in Thursday for annual check up (PSA & the fickle finger).

DBF
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software