Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Coronation ceremonies of Emperor Alexander II of Russia in 1855 were enlivened by a submarine concert. Wilhelm Bauer, a Bavarian inventor, took three musicians under the waters of Kronstadt Harbor in a submarine he had built, where they played appropriate music during the coronation. The music was distinctly heard on the surface.
"Nana" Garlock... Tink & Bob's Mom... passed away
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Pig
Posted 2009-04-28 3:00 PM (#26145)
Plankowner

Subject: "Nana" Garlock... Tink & Bob's Mom... passed away

Thanks to Patti (Miss Lumpy Bumps) for sending this one. For those of you that have never heard the story from Dex, it is included. There has to be a special place in Heaven for Navy Mom's... I know Tink is glad to see her after all these years...

The Herald-Mail http://www.herald-mail.com/
------------------------------------------------------------------------
GARLOCK, Helen A. ‘Nana’, 97, of Great Cove Road in McConnellsburg PA, and more recently a resident of the Long Term Care Unit, Fulton County Medical Center in McConnellsburg, died Tuesday, April 21, 2009, at the medical center. Born January 31, 1912, in Saxton, Pa., she was the daughter of the late Robert and Carrie (Smith) Gogley. She was married to Marl H. Garlock, who died in 1976. Mrs. Garlock is survived by one son, Robert L. Garlock and wife, Donna, of McConnellsburg; and one daughter-in-law, Sandy Garlock of Great Cove Road in McConnellsburg. Also surviving are 11 grandchildren and numerous great-grandchildren and great-great-grandchildren. She was preceded in death by one daughter, Mary Lou Taylor Calabria; five sons, Richard L. Garlock, John G. Garlock, Marl H. Garlock Jr., Joseph M. Garlock and Patrick G. Garlock; and two sisters, Sarah Palmer and Mildred Stoler. A mother and housewife, Mrs. Garlock was a member of McConnellsburg United Methodist Church. She also was a member of the Order of the Eastern Star of Chambersburg, Pa. Funeral services were Friday, April 24, 2009, at McConnellsburg United Methodist Church with the Rev. John Godissart officiating. Interment in Union Cemetery, McConnellsburg.

*Marl "Tinker" Garlock*
by Bob 'Dex' Armstrong

“I am an odd man to memorialize Tink Garlock, a shipmate who died aboard Requin. I do not have the eloquent vocabulary or the ability to craft the phrasing required to do proper honor to a fallen mate. Wish I did... If anyone rates such a homily, it's Tink.

This one is rough. We were alley rats together and well after his death I came to know and love his family... his brother, his sister and his lovely mother.

His name was Marl Garlock. He came from McConnellsburg, Pennsylvania, where they called him "Tinker" or "Tink"? We called him "Lil' Abner."

The day he arrived, he dropped down the after battery hatch, dumped his gear and came forward to the crews mess where we were taking a small mid-morning Spanish recess, swapping lies with coffee. He had just cleared Great Lakes. He was a tall lad. They ran out of dungaree trousers his length and issued him trou that hit him three inches above his ankles. They used to say that God never intended to create mice? They were elephants before they entered the Navy supply system.

So there was this new guy. Freshly minted sub school grad via the T-division on the Orion? Standing there in GP boots (general purpose high tops) and high-water pants.

"Hey kid, tide's out, you can roll 'em down."

"Hey Lil' Abner, what happened, did Dogpatch burn down?"

"Hey Abner, you'n Daisy Mae lookin' fer a home?"

He became Lil' Abner from then on.

The next morning, Lil'Abner shows up at morning chow. The cook yells out,

"Watcha havin, Abner?"

"Watcha got?"

"Pretty much anything you want... but if you eat turtle eggs and hummin' bird wings, then go to Annapolis and eat forward... you take what y'want, but y'eat what you take?"

"Give me a dozen eggs scrambled, four toast, six link sausage, s**tload of bacon and a black coffee."

"Hey kid, never bulls**t a cook. If you're serious, you got it. You pull my leg and I'll bounce you off the inside of the pressure hull."

"I AM serious. You gonna stand there all day runnin' yur mouth, or are you gonna earn what they pay you and fix me some breakfast?"

Tink ate one dozen eggs and everything that went with it.

"Hey kid, you got a gahdam tapeworm?"

"Garlock, Is it true that your mother couldn't afford to feed you anymore, so she smashed your plate and tossed your butt out the door?"

Tink could take it and deal it out. Within a week, he had degenerated into a full-fledged after battery rat.

Talked about hunting all the time. Closest most of us had come to hunting was doin' in rats with a pellet gun, while they were doing their 'Rockettes' imitation across our mooring lines.

Lil' Abner was neck-deep in 90% of the stupidity cooked up in the alley, but since he can no longer defend himself, I leave him out of the stories. That way, when I buy the farm and get to where either God or the devil billets boat sailors, Tink won't punch my lights out and will have saved me one of those racks where you don't hot sack? Like in God's goatlocker (When you die, everyone makes Master Chief - that's why they call it Heaven).

Lil' Abner went down in the pump room to wipe down the diamond plate deck plates and equipment. He opened and lifted out a plate so the belowdecks watch could see the bilge level and pump when necessary. At some point, he stretched out on the deck plates. Belowdecks watch and trim manifold operator thought he was catching siesta Zs.

What had happened was that Tink Garlock was wiping down with a solvent that came in a can with no warning that it was toxic and shouldn't be used in confined spaces. Someone said that it was intended to clean airplanes and that anywhere you could put an airplane was not a confined space. Argument useless at this point since Tink was overcome and died in the pump room.

His brother, Bob Garlock took this tragic, senseless loss and fashioned it into a living tribute to Tink.

Bob Garlock began the Requin reunion. He started rounding up sailors who served on Requin from '45 to '70. The list grows larger each year as does the reunion. Without Bob Garlock, there would be no reunion. It's always in Pittsburgh because that's where the boat is. If you or anyone you know rode Requin, get in touch with Bob at (717) 485-3451.

At the first reunion, we took a boat ride down the Ohio and back. It was a beautiful fall evening. Snipes gathered at the fantail to suck their lungs full of diesel exhaust and play the 'Do you remember that silly bastard off the USS So-in-so' game. Tim Conaty, a third class quartermaster, was forward. The skipper, Ed Frothingham yelled, "Conaty, can you fix our position?"

"Aye sir, If my calculations are correct, we are either approaching La Harve or entering Tokyo."

Then someone yelled, "Jeezus, isn't this perfect weather?"

And someone, can't remember who, hollered back, "What did you expect? We've got Lil' Abner standing watch on the weather!"

He was ship's company, always will be...

Jim M.
Posted 2009-04-29 4:45 AM (#26151 - in reply to #26145)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: "Nana" Garlock... Tink & Bob's Mom... passed away

I was lucky enough to meet Mrs. Garlock in McConnellsburg some time ago, after going up there to speak with Bob G. about his brother. A very nice person...
miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2009-05-02 9:30 PM (#26270 - in reply to #26145)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: "Nana" Garlock... Tink & Bob's Mom... passed away

Thank you, Ken, for posting the obit and story.  I don't want to speak for Dex, but I think he would say "thank you" too.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software