Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: A submarine, the TURTLE, was employed by the American revolutionary army to attack the British. It was built by David Bushnell at Saybrook, Connecticut, just a few miles from the present site of Electric Boat Division of the General Dynamics Corporation, and the U.S. Naval Submarine Base.
The Wall
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Ric
Posted 2009-03-27 9:37 PM (#25401)

Plankowner

Subject: The Wall

I got to revisit The Wall in DC while I was there. It was still very emotional even after I had been there before.

I have 4 high school friends there.

LEWIS ALBANESE

PFC - E3 - Army - Selective Service
1st Cav Division (AMBL)
His tour began on Aug 2, 1966
Casualty was on Dec 1, 1966
In , SOUTH VIETNAM
HOSTILE, GROUND CASUALTY
GUN, SMALL ARMS FIRE
MOH
Body was recovered
Panel 12E - Line 131

JOHN PETERS RANDLES

CPL - E4 - Army - Regular
1st Cav Division (AMBL)
His tour began on Aug 16, 1965
Casualty was on May 17, 1966
In , SOUTH VIETNAM
HOSTILE, GROUND CASUALTY
GUN, SMALL ARMS FIRE
Body was recovered
Panel 07E - Line 75

LUIGI FRANK ALBANESE

SGT - E5 - Army - Selective Service
1st Infantry Division
Length of service 1 years
His tour began on Mar 27, 1967
Casualty was on Jan 27, 1968
In BINH LONG, SOUTH VIETNAM
HOSTILE, GROUND CASUALTY
GUN, SMALL ARMS FIRE
Body was recovered
Panel 35E - Line 43

FRANK MARIO BOZZELLO

2LT - O1 - Army - Reserve
Length of service 1 years
His tour began on Jul 22, 1967
Casualty was on Aug 14, 1967
In BINH THUAN, SOUTH VIETNAM
HOSTILE, GROUND CASUALTY
MULTIPLE FRAGMENTATION WOUNDS
Body was recovered
Panel 24E - Line 108

Stoops
Posted 2009-03-27 9:51 PM (#25403 - in reply to #25401)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: The Wall

ya know.....I don't know how many folks I would know on the wall....I can figure on a few....have heard rumors of others, but not confirmed................

How in the hell do you sit down and figure it out? Ric says he knows 4....bet it is more...he just doesn't know it......I've heard about Joe so and so in my high school class that died in Vietnam but cant' find out or prove it....how do you know?

I left my hometown high school in the middle of my junior year to attend a private school (went from a class of 300+ to one of 45) and I ran into more of the 45 than I ever did of the 300+ in the years during my leaving my hometown until I returned there after college.............

High school reunions have been less than helpful in finding out since Viet Nam was not a popular war and my particular class was not one that you could consider would not spit on returning troops..............

But God bless Ric and anyone else that spent the time to find shipmates, classmates, friends, and family who unselfishly gave their life for folks halfway around the globe in the pursuit of freedom. God hath no greater love................

Ric
Posted 2009-03-27 10:37 PM (#25404 - in reply to #25403)

Plankowner

You start here Dave. http://thewall-usa.com/ Put in your city and scroll through.

The 4 friends on the wall were my classmates. I'm pretty sure I didn't know any other personally.
Gil
Posted 2009-03-27 10:47 PM (#25405 - in reply to #25401)
Master and Commander

I must be missing something here as I usually do.

The last time I was there they had many telephone directories similar to white pages.  You looked up the name in them and it directed you to the section of the wall where the name was.  You only had to know their name.  A buddy of mine was a grunt in the war.  His problem was the guys had nicknames and he couldn't remember or didn't know the real names of his fallen comrades.

I had a cousin who went to my high school.  He was the first casualty from my high school to die in that crazy Asiatic War.  I found his engraved name by using the directories available there.

Ric
Posted 2009-03-27 10:56 PM (#25406 - in reply to #25405)

Plankowner

Those are there if you want to use them. Usually a number of folks using it. I made a list of the panel and line before I went east.
Doc Gardner
Posted 2009-03-28 4:12 AM (#25408 - in reply to #25403)

Master and Commander

How in the hell do you sit down and figure it out? Ric says he knows 4....bet it is more...he just doesn't know it......I've heard about Joe so and so in my high school class that died in Vietnam but cant' find out or prove it....how do you know?

Dave: Ric is correct in that using "The Wall" website you can find people you know who were KIA in Viet Nam or died of their injuries later at an evac hospital. You can also search by branch of service or do what I do on occasion and just review the section that will list those who died on the current day. Sounds ghoulish but that's how I discovered that the younger brother of a girl I dated in High School was KIA. Each year I add the names of the people I learn of to the list of those we remember at the annual dinner I host every November.
Note to Ric: With your permission I will add the 4 names of your friends to my list along with those I have received from others on this BBS.
MAD DOG
Posted 2009-03-28 4:18 AM (#25409 - in reply to #25404)

Master and Commander

Ric - 2009-03-28 1:37 AM

You start here Dave. http://thewall-usa.com/ Put in your city and scroll through.

The 4 friends on the wall were my classmates. I'm pretty sure I didn't know any other personally.

Thanks Ric.I didn't know about that site.Good info.
Ric
Posted 2009-03-28 5:15 AM (#25411 - in reply to #25408)

Plankowner

Not a problem Doc
PaulR
Posted 2009-03-28 6:01 AM (#25413 - in reply to #25401)

Master and Commander

I feel fortunate than only 1 person from my hometown was lost in Viet Nam.

But I did know JOSEPH ADRIAN very well growing up there.
Doc Gardner
Posted 2009-03-28 12:48 PM (#25428 - in reply to #25411)

Master and Commander

Ric:
Thanks, Lewis Albanese and John Randles were in battles that I was also in; I lost a good friend and fellow Corpsman in Operation Union which occurred in May 1967. He was with 3Batt 5th Marines and I was with III MAF 1st Mar Div operating out of Chu Lai. All 4 will be remembered each year for as long as I am able.
Doc
Gil
Posted 2009-03-28 7:43 PM (#25435 - in reply to #25401)
Master and Commander

Ric,

Again thank you very much for that site.  

Interesting just randomly selecting some names of these kids from the information page.  Imagine being eighteen years old and only lasting one week after arriving in country as many of these kids did.

Edited by Gil 2009-03-29 5:25 PM
Ric
Posted 2009-03-29 8:55 AM (#25439 - in reply to #25403)

Plankowner

Subject: I didn't fully answer Dave

The way I knew who of my class mates that had died in Viet Nam is because I attended my 30th class reunion and the names were listed in the class book we were all given in our welcoming package. It is the only reunion I have attended and I may not go to another. Almost all the folks I had wanted to get together with I found on the memorial page, men and women. They had all died. It was interesting to see the people but there was only one or two I would want to continue a relationship with. So, I hadn't really researched to find these folks. I discovered them by accident. I'm glad I did and I do not forget them.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software