Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: USS R-6 was fitted the first prototype US submarine snorkel at Portsmouth Naval Shipyard in the closing months of the European part of WW II in April / May 1945 and successfully tested it off Fort Lauderdale, Fl. as the war against Japan ended in August 1945. The snorkel was removed from the USS R-6 and she was decommissioned and scrapped in September 1945.
Influenced
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> How I Got Into SubmarinesMessage format

Hugh
Posted 2009-03-24 3:32 AM (#25294)

Senior Crew

Subject: Influenced

When I was a 5th-6th grader I lived with my family in USMC Camp LeJune NC Military housing. I broke a neighbor's window during a rock fight with some other kids - (I guess we'd all be in counseling today) - and some hours later I went back and left a note with my name and admission that I had done it.
I didn't tell my folks what I had done.
Some time later in the evening of that day our neighbor knocked on our door, and I heard him talking to my folks. I was sure the world was about to end.
Dad called me downstairs.
The neighbor asked me if the note was my own writing. I replied yes sir. He then handed me the rock, a photograph of a submarine with the inscription "To a courageous young man" signed Cdr. XXX CO (come to think of it why was a Submarine CO in LeJune in the late 50's? - SEAL beginnings?)
Along with the picture was a test tube with a slug of Mercury - (I know we would ALL be in jail if this happened today) - With a note that asked me to come back in a week and tell him what I knew about "liquid metal"
Made me go to the library the bastard did.
I gave him an answer - I have no idea today if it was correct or not - but I remember his response "Are you sure?" I said "yes SIR".
He told me that he would allow me to be one of his Submarine sailors, he only wanted MEN he could trust.
That will stick with you.....
Sean705
Posted 2009-03-24 6:11 AM (#25298 - in reply to #25294)

Mess cooking

Subject: RE: Influenced

Wow! Thank you for sharing that, that's an awesome story!
Buff
Posted 2009-03-25 9:47 PM (#25338 - in reply to #25294)
Crew

Thanks for the story, Hugh. It brings a smile to one's face. God bless the old submarine salts that touched our lives and we followed.

Best Regards,

Buff
Gil
Posted 2009-12-17 9:02 PM (#33143 - in reply to #25294)
Master and Commander

Thanks for sharing!
Don Gentry
Posted 2011-07-08 12:12 AM (#49250 - in reply to #25294)

Admin

Nice job Hugh...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software