Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: When the nuclear powered submarine USS SEADRAGON surfaced at the North Pole while charting the Northwest passage in August 1960, the crew organized a baseball game. Because of Polar time differences, when a batter clouted a home run it would land in either the next day or in 'yesterday'.
On board (Royal) Navy's new hi-tech ship
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Coyote
Posted 2009-01-28 8:02 AM (#23875)

Master and Commander

Subject: On board (Royal) Navy's new hi-tech ship

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7856247.stm

to get a mini-tour of new class of destroyer...

DBF
Coyote
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-01-28 10:27 AM (#23879 - in reply to #23875)
COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: On board (Royal) Navy's new hi-tech ship

What he say??? Great looking target.
Runner485
Posted 2009-01-28 11:33 AM (#23882 - in reply to #23875)

COMSUBBBS

Good looking floater. Can you imagine the USN allowing a petty officer to give this tour to the press? I don't think so...
Blue from West Oz
Posted 2009-01-28 4:03 PM (#23890 - in reply to #23882)

Master and Commander

Runner485 - 2009-01-29 1:33 AM

Good looking floater. Can you imagine the USN allowing a petty officer to give this tour to the press? I don't think so...

He is a Leading Seaman, which I believe is the equivalent of your E6.

I seem to recall giving a tour of our sub to some dignitaries, can't recall who/what they were, but I was an Able Seaman at the time......

The toughest tour I ever conducted ( and I was a Leading Seaman at the time ) was for the family of one of our guys that died at sea onboard HMAS OTAMA in 1987. The tour was early '88 and the Captain called me up to show them through....Mum's lower lip quivered throughout the tour, eyes moist. But we got through it in the end. I was always amazed that he got me to do it, instead of what I thought should have been the Duty Officer's job.

Roll on to 1999 and I caught up with the parents at the De Commissioning of HMAS OTAMA. I went over and re-introduced myself....they were most thankful for the ( very small ) role I played in the 'closure' of their son's death.

The best tour I ever gave was of a group of nurses in 1986....I spotted this gorgeous looking one and made sure she was part of my tour,, unfortunately the chance never came up to ask her out. A month or two later, she came up to me in the city and reminded me who she was - we dated for about 4-6 months......"sigh" lol

Blue *_*

PS. Oh yeah, there previously was a Daring Class Destroyer.....I served for a very short time on one in 1980...HMAS VAMPIRE DD11 which is now a museum ship in Sydney.

Edited by Blue from West Oz 2009-01-28 4:04 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software