Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "THAT'S NICE THAT THE ELECTRICIAN AND A-GANGERS WORKED ALL NIGHT TO GET THE DIESEL GENERATOR READY, BUT WE'RE NOT GETTING UNDERWAY UNTIL EVERY TOASTER IN THE WARDROOM PANTRY IS WORKING" quoted during Tautog's DustPac '85-86 Deployment
From Miss Corabelle...
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2009-01-22 9:19 PM (#23767)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: From Miss Corabelle...

Here is here the mannequin in Elmer's uniform.  She will provide other information shortly.  Hope you approve, Cora.

(Mannequin from Cora-A.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Mannequin from Cora-A.jpg (26KB - 564 downloads)
Roy Ator
Posted 2009-01-22 10:23 PM (#23768 - in reply to #23767)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: From Miss Corabelle...

Fine looking young sailor! I do appreciate your assists with Corabelle's graphics. It's history personified.
Many Thanks MS LB!
Corabelle
Posted 2009-01-23 11:03 AM (#23773 - in reply to #23767)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: From Miss Corabelle...

In the two picture frames at the foot of the mannikan, it says:

"This is the WORLD WAR II Dress Blue Uniform of Radioman 3rd Class (RM/3C) Elmer Camp Olmstead.

Elmer was a submarine sailor, serving on all five war patrols of the USS Sterlet (SS-392).

His RATE is displayed on the left sleeve of the uniform. The rating badge is a combination of rate (pay grade) and rating (specialty). It consists of a perched eagle (sometimes referred to as a "crow") with expanded wings pointing upward and the eagle's head to the right. CHEVRONS indicating the wearer's rate (one for 3rd class) and FOUR SPARKS pointing to the front indicate radioman.

MEDALS earned by Elmer are worn on the left breast of the uniform. They include from left to right: The AMERICAN CAMPAIGN MEDAL, for service outside the U.S. in the American Theater for 30 days , or within the continental U.S. for one year; The ASIATIC-PACIFIC CAMPAIGN MEDAL, for service in the Asiatic-Pacific Theater for 30 days or receipt of any combat decoration. You'll note FOUR BRONZE STARS on the ribbon above the medal. These, plus the medal itself, represent his five successful war patrols on the USS Sterlet; and the WORLD WAR II VICTORY MEDAL, awarded for service in the U.S. Armed Forces between 1941 and 1946.

Above the medals is his SUBMARINE COMBAT PATROL PIN. The pin itself was awarded after the first successful war patrol on the STERLET; the FOUR GOLD STARS represent the four subsequent war patrols.

High on the right shoulder is the embroidered HONORABLE DISCHARGE EMBLEM, commonly referred to as the "Ruptured Duck." This was given to all service men that were honorably discharged after World War II.

On the right sleeve, halfway between the elbow and the wrist, is the embroidered DOLPHINS, which could only be worn by men "Qualified in Submarines." During WWII, enlisted men wore white dolphins on their blue uniforms, and blue dolphins on their dress whites. Following the war, enlisted men were awarded silver metal dolphins pins, which replaced the embroidered insignia of WWII.

The blue "FLAT HAT," with the words, U.S. Navy embroidered in gold was intiially issued to enlisted men during the Civil War. At first, a sailor's ship's name was sewn or printed on the hat band, but later, for security reasons, only U.S. Navy was printed on the hat. This style hat was discontinued in the early 1950's.

Because there was a shortage of water aboard a submarine, crew members were permitted to wear BEARDS. Many chose this option, which was exclusive to submarine sailors."

Did I get it right, guys?

Cora

Edited by Corabelle 2009-01-23 4:28 PM
Doc Gardner
Posted 2009-01-23 11:29 AM (#23774 - in reply to #23773)

Master and Commander

Subject: One minor corrrection

The blue "FLAT HAT," with the words, U.S. Navy embroidered in gold was intiially issued to enlisted men during the Civil War. At first, a sailor's ship's name was sewn or printed on the hat band, but later, for security reasons, only U.S. Navy was printed on the hat. This style hat was discontinued in the early 1950's.

Did I get it right, guys?

Cora

Cora:
The blue flathat was issued into the early 1960's. I enlisted in May 1962 and was issued one; I believe they were finally phased out in January 1963
I'll let the older guys critique the WWII portion; I was just a pup then.
Good write-up
Doc
Corabelle
Posted 2009-01-24 9:28 PM (#23798 - in reply to #23774)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Thanks, Doc.

I found that the initial time that the hat was first issued was the Civil War, but couldn't find exactly when it was discontinued. I thought it was relatively soon after WWII.

When Elmer and I went to his one-and-only Sterlet reunion, he, with my help, searched desperately for his Flat Hat, without success. He wanted to take it to the reunion, because he felt that most of the men who were attending were probably going to be at least twenty years younger than him, and did not own this style hat. He was right about that...he was the only WWII veteran that made it to the reunion. The rest of his shipmates had discontinued doing reunions a year or two before, because of the infirmities of age, and the difficulties of traveling at their ages. And, many, of course, had shoved off on their final patrols.

Neither he nor I could have made the trip without the help and guidance of his lovely daughter, Karen. She maneuvered us around airport terminals, and handled most of our carry-ons.

After he died, Karen and her husband were cleaning and sorting in Elmer's home, in preparation to putting it on the market. One of them picked up a cardboard box in the garage. The bottom was damp and fell apart when they picked it up. A number of moldy blankets fell out, and on top of the blankets, in a plastic bag, and in perfect shape, was his uniform and Flat Hat. Not a moth hole or tear in it. Karen had it cleaned, and it is just beautiful. The funny-looking mannikan doesn't do it justice. I searched for a male mannikan, but none (at the right price - free) could be found. An artist friend of mine removed the feminine-looking make-up and re-painted the face. Kyle, my youngest grandson re-did the eyes, and I found shoes and a white T-shirt at the Salvation Army Thift store. I bought the beard and wig from a Play House costume shop. The mannikan itself came from the Fort Meade Museum. Guess they don't have a need for too many female mannikans in a primarily male 4th Cavalry Museum.

I stumbled over Billie/Billy for more than six months while her gender transformation took place. Oh - because Elmer whas small (only 18 when he enlisted), the bullet-proof vest to hide the breasts didn't work when we were dressing her/him. And, the uniform doesn't reveal what's actually under the blouse. It was an interesting project, but if anyone has access to a male mannikan (adolescent boy size), and the where-with-all to get it to Rapid City, we would switch 'models."

Cora

Edited by Corabelle 2009-01-24 9:28 PM
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-01-25 9:19 AM (#23807 - in reply to #23798)
COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Thanks, Doc.

Cora, as I mentioned to you on the phone, you may have to call on your medical knowledge and perform a masectomy upon your mannikan to get the uniform to fit right.
Corabelle
Posted 2009-01-25 8:55 PM (#23827 - in reply to #23807)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Gosh, Ralph...

If I did a mastectomy I'm afraid her "hollow" personality would be revealed.

Anyway, I never saw a mastectomy performed (thank God). Not only does it 'feel' like mutilation, but I only worked with uteruses. You know - where babies come from. Never saw one of those removed either. Did see lots of babies born, though. Always a miracle.

(That's a scream! from thinking about a mastectomy - ouch.) Interestingly enough, my mother and both sisters all had left-sided mastectomies.

I can tell it's getting late.

Cora
Corabelle
Posted 2009-08-07 8:53 PM (#29508 - in reply to #23767)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Here's the unform, Dex, in the post made by Miss Lumpy Bumps

First post in this thread.

Edited by Corabelle 2009-08-07 8:55 PM
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-08-08 7:24 AM (#29522 - in reply to #29508)
COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Here's the unform, Dex, in the post made by Miss Lumpy Bumps

Cora, Ric and I have been working off and on trying to locate a mannequin a little closer to Elmer's size. My connection with Belk Stores didn't pan out. The reason I'm given is that due to the cost of full mannequins these days, they are recycled and not tossed in the dumpster as in years past. I'm still looking though. When we find one we'll probably find enough to man a platoon.
Now I know that a platoon of dummies might trigger all y'alls imagination some, but, far be it for me to point a finger at any certain Branch of Service. I'll just leave it to Doc Gardner and Darrin to fill in the blanks.
Doc Gardner
Posted 2009-08-10 5:26 AM (#29567 - in reply to #29522)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Here's the unform, Dex, in the post made by Miss Lumpy Bumps

Now I know that a platoon of dummies might trigger all y'alls imagination some, but, far be it for me to point a finger at any certain Branch of Service. I'll just leave it to Doc Gardner and Darrin to fill in the blanks.

There are no dumies in the platoon; we send them to the A-Gang;
Ping>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software