Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Long considered a versatile and deadly instrument of war, the submarine has broadened her capabilities with the adoption of nuclear power. Today the submarine serves as a ballistic missile platform, early warning station, killer of surface and underwater vessels, scout, coastal raider troop transport, supply ship, mine layer, and seaplane tender.
Troops Speaking Out Against New Working Uniform (NWU)
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Gil Shaddock
Posted 2009-01-22 1:36 PM (#23764)
Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: Troops Speaking Out Against New Working Uniform (NWU)

Troops Speaking Out Against New Working Uniform (NWU)

NWU, RULES GET IT WRONG

As a Navy commander operat­ing “behind enemy lines” as an in­structor at the Air Force Academy, my current assignment allows me to insert deck-plate leadership, the chiefs’ mess and global pres­ence in the context of our contri­bution to the joint fight. I take great pride in exposing future Air Force officers to Navy and Marine Corps methods, heritage, culture and tradition as a contrast to their service norms.

I applauded former Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy Joe Campa’s complete revision of CPO fitness reports to start evaluating on what a chief should be.
Not only do we do things differently in the naval services, but I can usually make a solid case that we do it better. This is not the case with the recent uniform changes [“NWU uproar,” Jan 5].

Each service has struggled with the adoption of new uniforms and has failed to learn from the others’ mistakes. Jointness should not imply a lowest common denomina­tor mentality. The three most obvi­ous failures [of the uniform] go well beyond financial, physical and fashion missteps and serve as in­dictors of the recent atrophy of our cherished culture and traditions: ¦

Why adopt a camouflage uniform that only allows you to blend into the environment when you fall overboard? A camouflaged working uniform that supposedly hides paint spots better than utilities is counter to the warrior ethos that we should be instilling in our sailors.

¦ The more restrictive wear rules for the Navy Working Uni­form demonstrate a senior leader­ship that is out of touch with the average sailor. Loosened wear re­strictions were part of the initial sales pitch made by leadership — policy flip-flops are bound to be met with a backlash. Other ser­vice members proudly (and smart­ly) wear their NWU-equivalent uniform when commuting to and from work and even on official travel; it is a source of pride in their service. If an individual sailor ’s appearance is not up to standards, a little intrusive lead­ership can take care of that. Speaking of which ...

¦ The khaki shirt being intro­duced for E-6 and below should be an affront to every member of the current khaki leadership. It erodes one of the most visible and enduring symbols that makes our service unique — the transition to the rank of chief petty officer. This stylistic change will have operational ramifications and sets back Campa’s efforts to reaffirm the chiefs’ proud and proper role.

What is at risk here is not merely a fiscally and fashion-flawed social experiment but an abandonment of centuries of tradition and heritage. It may be too late to stop

Land Lubber
Posted 2009-01-22 1:50 PM (#23765 - in reply to #23764)
Old Salt

Subject: RE: Troops Speaking Out Against New Working Uniform (NWU)

You would think that a working coverall would be better for paint duty. Maybe something disposable and recyclable.
steamboat
Posted 2009-01-23 5:06 AM (#23769 - in reply to #23764)
Master and Commander

I was down at Norfolk last weekend and took the Navy Base tour. There were a couple cute female type sailors there and I struck up a conversation about the new uniform. (They had yet to convert). One said that it was going to be very expensive, and the uniform allotment would not cover it. I would have asked more questions but they were busy ( and my CINCHSE was giving me the eye).
BTW, if anyone has thought of taking that tour, save your time and money.... they only take you by a couple piers and then onto the base to see the Admirals quarters and the administrative bldgs. Did see the GHW Bush from a distance, but no subs.
As far as my opinion on the uniforms, why doesn't the Navy leave well enough alone.... if it ain't broke, don't fix it!! You would think that the service branch most steeped in tradition would realize that.
Steamboat sends
Darrin
Posted 2009-01-23 12:18 PM (#23775 - in reply to #23764)

Great Sage of the Sea

Steamboat,
had I known you were down in this area I would have been more then happy to take you to see the boats, let me know the next time you are in the area and I will see what I can do
steamboat
Posted 2009-01-23 2:32 PM (#23780 - in reply to #23775)
Master and Commander

Darrin,
Wow!! That sounds GREAT! I have a sister that lives in Yorktown that I visit semi-occasionally. I live in Mecklenburg Co., about 150 miles due west of you.
I am looking forward to meeting you at Ron's funeral.
Green Board,
Steamboat sends
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software