Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "They also serve those who only stand and wait" - Eleanor Rickover, quoting Milton's "On His Blindness"
DD question
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

steamboat
Posted 2009-01-14 7:57 AM (#23552)
Master and Commander

Subject: DD question

Are there any Nuc surface ships (besides Carriers) still in commission? Perusing the Nav Source site, it looks like all DD(N) are OUC.
It also looks like ASROC is no longer an ASW weapon. When did it go away? I thought it was a pretty good system.
Just an old converted Tin Can Man reminising.
Steamboat sends
Dave S.
Posted 2009-01-14 9:01 AM (#23556 - in reply to #23552)

Senior Crew

Subject: RE: DD question

The only nuclear powered surface ships left in service are the carriers (which with the decommissioning of Kttiy Hawk are all now nuclear powered).

There has been some discussion in congress about making the future cruisers nuclear powered, but nothing is set yet.

The older versions of ASROC (both the torpedo and the nuclear armed versions) have been retired. But there is a newer version called VLASROC (Vertical Launch ASROC) that can be used in the vertical launch tubes of of the CGs and DDGs.

Dave
steamboat
Posted 2009-01-14 11:42 AM (#23560 - in reply to #23552)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: DD question

Thanks Dave and Geno. I rode the Norfolk, DL-1 1960-61 when she was evaluating ASROC. When they got the Nuc armed version, I had to get Top secret clearance just to be on the loading crew. Gunners Mates operated the launch system. It was fun to watch the launches, mostly operation out of Key West.
Thanks again
Steamboat sends
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software