Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "The Turkish skipper of ex-USS Tang, when asked about the difference between the German designed and built replacement boats for their retiring ex-US boats, is reported to have said, "American submarines are built for war, German submarines are built for export."
The cars we drove
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Pig
Posted 2009-01-12 5:22 AM (#23476)
Plankowner

Subject: The cars we drove

I'm going to try to make this work, if I fail here is the URL... what great memories!

http://thefiftiesandsixties.com/CarsWeDrove.htm
Tom McNulty
Posted 2009-01-12 6:10 AM (#23479 - in reply to #23476)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: The cars we drove

I miss my 66 396 Super Sport and my 69 Charger. I now drive an 07 Charger R/T but it ain't quite the same.
C Stafford
Posted 2009-01-12 6:14 AM (#23480 - in reply to #23476)
Senior Crew

I would have liked to still own my 1969 Chevelle 369 SS. But, a skimmer in San Diego ran a stop sign and crashed me. It was never the same after it was repaired.
Those cars are worth a small fortune today.
AtoZ
Posted 2009-01-12 9:46 AM (#23487 - in reply to #23476)

Great Sage of the Sea

Ahhh yes, the memories.

I sorta went for the exotic. First, there was the Jag XK140MC [yellow with black fenders] that was the joy of NLON [the marines at the back gate usta love waving it thru just ahead of the pursuing state trooper at the back gate who they told it was a secret facility and he couldn't enter. I kept them well supplied with coffee and other goodie from the galley]. and the terror of the Connecticut shore in the mid 50's.

Later on there was the Chev Citation based Showroom Stock B X11 and then the Lotus Europa. All of the above went club racing; SCCA Regionals, Solo ! & Solo 2 events. I always drove them to the event and back home again, no trailer no tow car, and almost never came home without a trophy. Yup, those were the days.
Ric
Posted 2009-01-12 10:47 AM (#23490 - in reply to #23476)

Plankowner

This one isn't mine but I can't find a pic of the one I owned.

Mine was pale yellow. Loved playing the little Japanese cars on the freeway. I'd let them almost pass, then floor it. I ate them alive. Love that V8. The car would squat and get lower to the ground the faster I went. Mileage went to hell after they quit making Ethel gas. Never ran the same with unleaded.

Loved all that visibility. Glass everywhere.

Launcher Lary
Posted 2009-01-12 11:43 AM (#23494 - in reply to #23476)

Senior Crew

...while my classmates were driving their muscle cars and/or mommy and daddy's car, this is the beauty that I bought and paid for with my hard earned cash...drove her until I smoked the clutch and it was too much of a pain in the rear to fix (you had to drop the rear end to pull the driveshaft off to remove the universal to get to the clutch)...I loved the front seat dropping down to make a hugh bed, for...heh heh heh, you know, camp outs...

Billy Bob

(1962 Rambler Classic.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 1962 Rambler Classic.jpg (30KB - 625 downloads)
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-01-12 2:03 PM (#23500 - in reply to #23476)
COMSUBBBS

I had 2 '57 Olds coupes with the J-2 carbs and B&M transmission. Sold them and bought a '64 Olds Cutlass(4speed and 4 brl carb), sold it and bought a '66 Austin Healey 3000. Sure would like to have anyone of them back.
Phils
Posted 2009-01-13 10:25 AM (#23527 - in reply to #23476)

Crew

While stationed in Pearl in '71, we bought a '69 Firebird convertible (because my new wife couldn't drive the stick-shift Datsun I had).

At some point many years later, I "gave" her the Firebird so that I could have permission to buy some vehicle or another (not a memorable one, obviously). That was a good move.

We still have the Firebird.

Phil
Doc Gardner
Posted 2009-01-13 12:56 PM (#23531 - in reply to #23476)

Master and Commander

My first car was a '55 Chevy and my brother had a '58 Bonneville Convertible; he had more money than me. Then he went the big Chevy route and I started buying Mustangs. I probably crossed paths with Don Gentry at one of the local "Daly Burger Drive-Ins"

Thanks; Ken; those were the days.

Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2009-01-16 10:58 PM (#23637 - in reply to #23479)

Great Sage of the Sea

Buddy of mine in high school had a 64 Chevy Malibu ragtop that we did some upgrades to - metalflake blue paint job, shag carpet on the dash and the rear deck behind the back seat, burlwood contact paper across the back of the trunk lid.... I bought it from him in the fall of 1972, when his then-fiancee insisted they get a more 'practical" car . . a Pinto hatchback! Neither the girl nor the Pinto lasted, but I kept the Malibu until I reported to the Seadragon in 75. While I was on WestPac, my brother, coming back from a long day tending cotton pickers and hay balers, fell asleep at the wheel and tried to merge it into the rear of a big-rig. He survived with scratches, the ragtop was totaled.

Another car I'd like to have back is the 67 GTO my dad bought from the company when a Sales Rep upgraded to a 1977 Pontiac Lemans. Ran like a top, had a Hurst shifter so you could either run on automatic or shift it manually like a stick but without the clutch.

And then there was the screaming yellow Zonker(Gremlin) I had after Seadragon came out of overhaul in 78...

Those were the days, my friend, we thought they'd never end.....

subvetss
Posted 2009-01-18 10:52 AM (#23683 - in reply to #23476)
Senior Crew

Bought this 57 Ford 6 mo. old dealer demo when I was released from active duty in 1958. Had it when we got married. Not the best car for carrying portable play pens and the like.
Joe'the'Most

(Ford Convert.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Ford Convert.jpg (67KB - 604 downloads)
joe griffith
Posted 2009-01-19 9:32 PM (#23704 - in reply to #23476)

Mess cooking

When I was discharged from the Grampus in 1958 I went from a bubble head to a gear head. I've owned many muscle cars since. See my latest if would like. http://www.griffithcreative.com/joes396/
1967 chevelle super sport 396 4 speed bench seat car with more upgrades than I can remember.
Palm Bay Ken
Posted 2009-01-20 4:58 AM (#23711 - in reply to #23704)

Great Sage of the Sea

Nice looking wheels Griff!
subvetss
Posted 2009-01-20 8:14 AM (#23714 - in reply to #23711)
Senior Crew

Hey Joe,
I still remember the 57 black Chevy 327 you let me take home one weekend.
Joe'the'Most
Tom Conlon
Posted 2009-01-21 7:58 PM (#23749 - in reply to #23476)
Old Salt

My favorite was a `64 Barracuda similar to this one. Back seat and back wall dropped down. It was great for napping on the way to/from Groton. Cost me $1500 in `69. Great little car.

1964_Plymouth_Barracuda
Smiley
Posted 2009-01-25 12:27 PM (#23814 - in reply to #23704)
Great Sage of the Sea

joe griffith - 2009-01-20 12:32 AM

When I was discharged from the Grampus in 1958 I went from a bubble head to a gear head. I've owned many muscle cars since. See my latest if would like. http://www.griffithcreative.com/joes396/
1967 chevelle super sport 396 4 speed bench seat car with more upgrades than I can remember.

The 67 SS was one of my favorites..I also loved the 67 GTX.. My first car was a 59 Chrysler New Yorker w/ 398 Hemi. Big and slow.
My first "muscle car was a 69 Camaro Z28 with frog eye grill and a borrowed Baldwin Motion built 427 that I got out of a wreak.. That Z turned hi 11s for me up at Colchester back in 71 or 72 and it was a daily ride.. When between patrols if in Spring to Fall many of us gearheads would spend a lot of time up there at CT Dragway..
I think it's a housing development today..
Smiley
Posted 2009-01-25 12:36 PM (#23815 - in reply to #23494)
Great Sage of the Sea

Launcher Lary - 2009-01-12 2:43 PM

...while my classmates were driving their muscle cars and/or mommy and daddy's car, this is the beauty that I bought and paid for with my hard earned cash...drove her until I smoked the clutch and it was too much of a pain in the rear to fix (you had to drop the rear end to pull the driveshaft off to remove the universal to get to the clutch)...I loved the front seat dropping down to make a hugh bed, for...heh heh heh, you know, camp outs...

Billy Bob

Before I was drafted my best friend would drive his Mom's Rambler.. We all used to laugh whenever we were all at the drive in, we usually all parked in the same row in back.. We would hear those seats go back in his car just before he would test the springs for his Mom.. That was a great date car because the date's parents did not know that car's hidden secret of mobile lovemaking.. He ended up T boning a school bus with it at a 4 way intersection.. All were not hurt but the car was totaled..
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software