Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "He is the Submarine Sailor who served in silence, but in his silence, has heard the laughter of future generations.” -- Glenn Harris
Do You Want Pictures???
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

crystal
Posted 2009-01-08 5:07 PM (#23338)

Master and Commander

Subject: Do You Want Pictures???

Touring the USS Pennsylvania SSBN-735 at Bangor  next week (no nuc spaces obviously).  Photos are permitted with any of the classified stuff covered up... Anyone have a specific "want" from a trident boat?  I plan on taking a bunch of photos (always do).  Your favorite tube?, chow line? bunk?
steamboat
Posted 2009-01-08 7:17 PM (#23347 - in reply to #23338)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Do You Want Pictures???

Geeze, Chief, I probably wouldn't recognize it for what it was, but I never been in a Nuc torpedo room. I keep recalling an old DBF'er from this board that finally got a chance to tour one and he said "the only thing he recognized was the battle lanterns". From the few pics I have seen, I wouldn't even recognize those.
Have fun.
Steamboat sends
Coyote
Posted 2009-01-08 8:43 PM (#23348 - in reply to #23338)

Master and Commander

Sonar room if you can do it. R/Coyote
Doc Gardner
Posted 2009-01-09 1:33 AM (#23355 - in reply to #23338)

Master and Commander

Chief:
How about a photo of Sick Bay; on Skipjack it was the Corpsmans bunk and on Roosevelt there was a small sick bay in the missile compartment next to the Yeoman shack
Cheers
Bear
Posted 2009-01-09 8:36 PM (#23385 - in reply to #23338)

Great Sage of the Sea

Doc

It is (as best I remember has been ~25 years since I qualed on Michigan) about 6' by 20' room in Missile House it has a bed in it and a drop down door so you can slide the body I mean stretcher sideways into the space I believe it was set up that if an operation was necessary it would actually be done in there not the wardroom like other boats It reminded me alot of want the business end of an ambulance looked like only much taller.

John

You shoulkd include a picture of the Diesel for all the DBFers.

Curt
Posted 2009-01-10 3:58 AM (#23393 - in reply to #23338)

Old Salt

I am a PENNSYLVANIA Plankowner.

There is a plaque in the Goat Locker, with my name on it, I think...

If you could get a good shot of that, I would be most grateful.

Edited by Curt 2009-01-10 3:58 AM
Runner485
Posted 2009-01-10 4:51 AM (#23394 - in reply to #23338)

COMSUBBBS

John, How about some photos of the forward and after engine rooms....
GaryKC
Posted 2009-01-10 5:59 AM (#23397 - in reply to #23338)

COMSUBBBS

John, for some reason I'd like to see what a more modern head (toilet, shower, sink) looks like.

crystal
Posted 2009-01-10 8:25 AM (#23398 - in reply to #23338)

Master and Commander

Can't do the "engine" thing: engineering spaces off limits!

Jim M.
Posted 2009-01-10 10:14 AM (#23399 - in reply to #23338)

Great Sage of the Sea

Maybe a photo down the missile alley.. PA is my home state boat...
Mac McCoy
Posted 2009-01-11 7:09 AM (#23425 - in reply to #23338)
Senior Crew

Silly Questions. We hear them everyday.
crystal
Posted 2009-01-15 5:58 AM (#23580 - in reply to #23338)

Master and Commander

Naive - Naive - Naive!

(I forgot that the terrorists have all but won already)

Talk about changes!  Even when I was working at the shipyard recently on the Ohio and Michigan conversions, it wasn't this tight!  * * * (picture this) * * * Board the bus, after verifying pre-registered name, social etc. with picture I.D., given a clip-on badge.  Travel to base.  Bus clears main gate after guard comes aboard making sure we weren't terrorists, then a few miles later at the second "inner-gate", another guard on bus to check us through to the Operations area.  Drive down to the waterfront, exit bus and go through another I.D. confirmation with a bunch of hard looking kids in body armor carrying some mean looking wepons.  Also a couple of armored vehicles with their turret guns manned, and concrete bunkers further manned (no females on guard here).  Board the bus again, drive down to Delta pier, disembark go to head of brow, more body armor, wepons and this time we get the wand (metal detector) front and back = finally aboard!!!!

OH! BYE THE WAY!!! The obvious (by now) - absolutely NO CAMERAS, cell phones that take pictures (pencil and paper to draw on, good memories, ad infinitum - LOL)...

HOWEVER, It was a great tour! The men of the Pennsylvania are a great bunch!   We were broken down into four groups and our 10 or so had the Navigator (LtCdr)as our guide.  One memorable moment occurred in the Nav Center when the Nav was telling us all about these great machines, that levitate a ball which spins at 36,000 rpm etc. etc. that keep track of position (interia)... He was so well versed that we couldn't ask much else "but" the subject of shooting the noon sun, or stars did come up.  He said that yes they did have a sexton, told one of his dept. guys to go find it.  The P.O. brings back the dusty wooden box with a beautiful Model 3 Mod 1 inside.  NO ONE on board uses it nor knows HOW to use it!  They inventory it along with everything else and it gets put back on it's shelf... The boat doesn't have the books to go with it nor do they do great with spherical trig!  Guess the QM's are totally out now with all the rates merging...

Curt, I couldn't find the plaque that you described in the goat locker although there were quite a few hung up!  Someone said that it might be outside the ward room but didn't catch it there either (???)  Doc, the wardroom table is stil the O.R., with a big medical locker aft in the missile compt. (stbd side, same level = 2nd deck)... I have pictures of the torpedo room, Sherwood Forest (Missile tubes) etc. from like kind Tridents and can post them later!  OHH! almost forgot, the desiel engine is in the lower level fwd and is a FM, 12 cylindar, 720 rpm...

Runner485
Posted 2009-01-15 12:37 PM (#23585 - in reply to #23580)

COMSUBBBS

FM, 12 cylindar, 720 rpm....That's a big one.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software