Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: United States Submarines destroyed a total of 1,314 Japanese ships during World War II, including one battleship, eight aircraft carriers, fifteen cruisers, forty-two destroyers, and twenty-three submarines. Against this score, fifty-two U.S. Submarines were lost.
Well, got my digital TV converter....
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Ric
Posted 2009-01-05 6:53 PM (#23220)

Plankowner

Subject: Well, got my digital TV converter....

.. I'm not thrilled with it. It is truly amazing how the advance of Technology makes things work slower! My "analog" TV changes channels at once. The DTV now takes seconds to ½ a minute to kick in. I now have 3 Spanish stations that for me are a a waste of TV room. I have channels I now watch that the DTV can't or won't pick up.

I'm not impressed. Hope the government gets rich off selling all that bandwidth.
snakeyez
Posted 2009-01-05 7:22 PM (#23222 - in reply to #23220)

Senior Crew

Subject: RE: Well, got my digital TV converter....

And it's like changing channels with a VCR. Yet another darn remote to keep up with.
BlackBeard
Posted 2009-01-05 7:23 PM (#23223 - in reply to #23220)

Great Sage of the Sea

Good God Ric, you're complaining that all the cars are going to fast on the highway and your Model T is getting passed by! Get a new TV.

BB
Ric
Posted 2009-01-05 7:53 PM (#23224 - in reply to #23223)

Plankowner

Buy it for me. I don't need one. The problem is that my "model T" can pass all the new cars..... I dislike digital radio too. Analog tuning allowed you to poke around in the cracks between stations and pull in some really interesting things. Now if the station isn't just the right strength you don't get it. New is NOT always better..... somethings weren't broken and didn't need fixing.
Don Gentry
Posted 2009-01-05 8:43 PM (#23226 - in reply to #23224)

Admin

Yeah, but my new-fangled electric lights can switch on a lot faster than you can light your candles!!! 
Ric
Posted 2009-01-05 8:59 PM (#23227 - in reply to #23226)

Plankowner

Didn't say they can't. I have used both in my life from time to time. I'm only saying that digital isn't necessarily a better technology. It has its draw-backs too.
BlackBeard
Posted 2009-01-05 10:52 PM (#23231 - in reply to #23220)

Great Sage of the Sea

Well it was just a playful ping. Personally I have no need to fiddle with weak signals. They are a passe'. With digital TV and cable/satellite there are no weak signals or lost/marginal channels. Whatever channel is available that you want is provided at full strength - most in HD and Dolby sound.
I also remember how you could listen in on our phone when we had a party-line back in the 60's. But I like my wireless phone better now.

BB
Ric
Posted 2009-01-06 1:31 AM (#23232 - in reply to #23231)

Plankowner

I don't have cable. I gave it up 6 years ago. Way too expensive for what I got out of it. All those channels and nothing to watch. Why pay when it comes through the air free. 6 sports channels, I don't watch sports. 3 shopping channels. I save a lot of money. Anyway, I only watched about 15 channels and I get 10 of those for free with out cable. I can live without 5 that I paid for and save $70.00 a month.
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-01-06 2:07 AM (#23235 - in reply to #23220)
COMSUBBBS

Dog-gone Ric, you're sounding like an old phart. "Airplanes? Who needs them? Man wasn't meant to fly."
You're right about cable TV. Our basic cable here has 78 channels and many times there isn't anything on those channels worth a damn to waste time watching. $50/mnth for cable to watch on a $1,000+ TV is some mighty expensive entertainment when you get down to it.
GaryKC
Posted 2009-01-06 4:41 AM (#23239 - in reply to #23220)

COMSUBBBS

Besides, what cable channel has things as appealing as this?

http://www.icq.com/img/friendship/static/card_16961_rs.swf

Edited by GaryKC 2009-01-06 12:02 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software