Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "I propose to you a new arm of war, as formidable as it is economical. Submarine navigation, which has been sometimes attempted, but as all know without results, owing to want of suitable opportunities, is now a problematical thing no more." - Brutus de Villeroi in a letter to President Lincoln, 1862
Scuba
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Land Lubber
Posted 2009-01-05 3:02 PM (#23211)
Old Salt

Subject: Scuba

Hey, Any of you guys scuba dive? I used to dive every other weekend but haven't been for some time. I miss going through the kelp forest. It's like swiming in a forest.

Steve
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-01-05 3:26 PM (#23212 - in reply to #23211)
COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Scuba

I did quite a bit of it myself here in the Charleston area. Very interesting looking for artifacts. Haven't been in a couple of years though. Lung capacity and a few other ailments don't make as fun as it use to be. Can't find people wanting to go as easily either. You know the drill---water to cold, wife's honey-do list, water to swift, water to murky. We don't have the clear water that you have. Got some gators though and some of those large hungry type fish and occasional sea cow/manatees.
Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2009-01-06 1:54 AM (#23234 - in reply to #23211)
Master and Commander

Funny, I heard the DNR had told you that you were scaring the sharks and gators, and it was a violation of the endangered species act for a Manatee to see you in a swim suit.
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-01-06 2:11 AM (#23236 - in reply to #23234)
COMSUBBBS

I know you right, big bubba. Actually, it's the polution I leave behind when one of those critters all of a sudden appears in my face mask and we're nose to nose.
Chew
Posted 2009-01-06 6:23 AM (#23241 - in reply to #23211)

Mess cooking

Can't get enough. Manage to catch a few boat dives, including a 3 day lobster dive, and a few beach or kayak dives. Actually do more freediving in search of the wiley abalone. Haven't dove away from the CA coast in ages, would like to dive in warm water again.

Bob
Stoops
Posted 2009-01-06 6:48 AM (#23242 - in reply to #23211)
Master and Commander

When we transferred to Pearl in the late 60's a bunch of us took the NAUI course and spent a heck of a lot of time diving. Night diving is neat too.

My oldest daughter dives and did some salvage work in the local marinas after IKE helping sling yachts for hoisting out of the water. It was nasty...no visibility....I tended her and her buddy one day....Not bad pay though--_$50/hr

She just started working for a NASA subcontractor training the astronauts in the 50' deep pool here at NASA.
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-01-06 10:54 AM (#23244 - in reply to #23242)
COMSUBBBS

That was my reason for leaving the Navy. I wanted SEALAB which is now NASA. The Navy wouldn't approve of it since I was a 4356. Deal or No Deal! They said No Deal and I said see ya.
Don Gentry
Posted 2009-01-06 12:44 PM (#23246 - in reply to #23244)

Admin

I left the Navy for the same reason basically... no shore duty billets available to nukes that were diving billets.  On the bright side, my dive locker had some outdated gear including a Voit double-hose regulator.  I made sure to "salvage" that unauthorized gear pronto!

Still have my diver school shirt and two pair of o-fish-al diver skivies (based on the size of those things, apparently I was only 12 when I graduated divers school!)

(DonDiverCard.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DonDiverCard.jpg (22KB - 623 downloads)
Stoops
Posted 2009-01-06 1:01 PM (#23247 - in reply to #23211)
Master and Commander

Forgot to mention it, but at the time we started diving, I was log room yeoman, taking care of all the ACNs and revisions for all the copies of the RPMs, Water Chemistry manual, Radiological control manuals, etc. I also learned that most manuals had an I cog on the Fed. Stock Number. This meant the boat did not have to pay for them. Of course, I made sure that each of us had our copy of the US Navy Diving manual and a few of us had our own Electronics Installation and Maintenance Book......Wish I still had either!

I think the Divers Manual ran about $50 in the dive shops, much cheaper if you ordered it from supt. of documents, but free to the boats!
TSpoon
Posted 2009-01-06 5:40 PM (#23252 - in reply to #23211)
Great Sage of the Sea

No better diving than off Key West, either SUCBA of snorkeling. Navy MWR would rent you an open 12 foot boat for a dollar a day plus gas which was about 25 cents a gallon. Go out to Sand Key Light at low tide and you would find some of the most beautiful and colorful 35 to 40 foot deep diving available.

Of course those underwater swimmer school guys got cursed a lot as they returned form their morning 5 or so mile run at 0630hrs yelling cadence as they passed the sub barracks and we were just trying to get up from closing the Gate Bar at 0400hrs.

T.Spoon, DBF
Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-01-06 7:44 PM (#23258 - in reply to #23252)
COMSUBBBS

Underwater Swimmer School-- there were days there that I thought I'd have to die to feel better. The Acey-Ducey Club there had the best steak dinner I've ever had.
Land Lubber
Posted 2009-01-07 1:45 PM (#23286 - in reply to #23241)
Old Salt

I'm a California diver myself. I beach dive off Palos Verdes and I still like the windward side of Catalina.
Land Lubber
Posted 2009-01-07 1:50 PM (#23287 - in reply to #23246)
Old Salt

Hey Don, That's the 2nd navy dive cert I've seen. I dove a coupla times with a guy who had been Navy UDT. Man could he take off like a fish! I've was certified as PADI & NAUI. I've heard some underwater photographers like the old double hose regulators because the exhaust stays behind the head and won't interfere with a shot.
Steve
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software