Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "No one has done more to prevent conflict - no one has made a greater sacrifice for the cause for Peace - than you, America's proud missile submarine family. You stand tall among our heroes of the Cold War.” -- Gen. Colin Powell
Well, it's the new year and mother nature has her way...
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Ric
Posted 2009-01-01 11:35 AM (#23075)

Plankowner

Subject: Well, it's the new year and mother nature has her way...

January 1, 2009 at 10:37 AM

Snoqualmie, Stevens passes closed due to weather

Snow and poor conditions have closed the two major passes over the Cascades Mountains.

By Seattle Times staff

Snow and poor conditions have closed the two major passes over the Cascades.

Heavy snow and avalanche danger has closed Snoqualmie Pass in both directions, according to the state Department of Transportation.

Stevens Pass is closed in both directions as well, due to heavy snow.

The highway at Snoqualmie Pass is covered in compact snow and ice and will be closed until highway crews can assess conditions.

It is snowing heavily and visibility is poor.

On the east side, Snoqualmie Pass is closed at milepost 85 at Cle Elum. On the west side, the roadway is closed at milepost 33 near North Bend.

Avalanche control work will be completed before reopening, which could last most of the day.

The best estimate for reopening Stevens Pass is 4 p.m. today, according to the transportation department.

Yakima Herald-Republic
121208_tj_snoqualmie_closed_web
TJ MULLINAX/Yakima Herald-Republic

Interstate 90 across Snoqualmie Pass is closed today because of heavy snow and avalanche danger, the state Department of Transportation reports.

Travelers heading to White Pass have been turned around at the base of Tieton Dam on U.S. 12 for the same reasons, according to reports.

I-90 will remain closed until road crews can assess the conditions. Avalanche control work will be performed before the freeway is reopened, which could last most of today, DOT officials say.

The DOT also has closed Stevens Pass (U.S. 2) for avalanche control work.

There is no estimate when routes over any of the passes could reopen.

Because of heavy snowfall, traction tires are required over Satus Pass on U.S. 97 and Interstate 82 between Ellensburg and Yakima.

WENATCHEE WORLD
Posted January 01, 2009

A storm expected to drop 3 to 6 inches of snow on Wenatchee today closed Snoqualmie and Stevens passes, and Tumwater Canyon.

Highway officials closed Stevens Pass this morning due to heavy snow and avalanche control, but expected to reopen it by noon. Snoqualmie Pass was also closed due to avalanche danger this morning. The pass could remain closed for most of the day, according to the Washington State Department of Transportation Web site.

Blewett Pass was open, but traction tires are required and oversize vehicles prohibited as of this morning.

Steve Bodnar, forecaster for the National Weather Service, said mountain passes could get one to two feet of snow today.

Horizon Air flights to and from Pangborn Memorial Airport were all on schedule this morning, according to Horizon’s flight status Web information.

In Wenatchee, temperatures were expected to warm this evening to the mid-30s and precipitation should turn into rain, Bodnar said.

Warming temperatures and strong winds should raise the snow level to about 2,800 feet by tonight, he added.

The snow and rain should taper off by Friday morning, with decreasing chances of precipation through the weekend. A new storm system is due in Sunday, but Bodnar said it’s still unclear whether that will bring snow or rain to the valleys.

— Rick Steigmeyer, World staff

steamboat
Posted 2009-01-01 1:02 PM (#23077 - in reply to #23075)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Well, it's the new year and mother nature has her way...

I heard I-84 in The Gorge was closed last week due to wind.. A little early for that nonsence. I remember March and April as being Gorge wind season.
My brother in Portland said he has finally dug out from snowstorms of couple weeks ago.
Hey... ENJOY. We ain't seen a good snow here in Southern Virginia in nie onto 5 year now, and i actually miss it!!!
Steamboat sends
John Bay
Posted 2009-01-01 1:11 PM (#23078 - in reply to #23075)
Old Salt

Isn't that an annual occurrance?
Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2009-01-01 4:57 PM (#23087 - in reply to #23077)

Great Sage of the Sea

steamboat - 2009-01-01 11:02 AM

Hey... ENJOY. We ain't seen a good snow here in Southern Virginia in nie onto 5 year now, and i actually miss it!!!
Steamboat sends

Be careful what you wish for, Shipmate ....... you may get it.

Ralph Luther
Posted 2009-01-01 5:29 PM (#23090 - in reply to #23075)
COMSUBBBS

You can't imagine the relief I have knowing I don't have to truck thru that mess anymore.
Bear
Posted 2009-01-02 11:14 AM (#23107 - in reply to #23075)

Great Sage of the Sea

One of reasons I am heading south to at least Portland on my way to Vegas trade show next weekend just hope Siskayous are not bad
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software