Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Alexander the Great (356 to 323 B.C.) ruler of Macedonia and conqueror of the known world in his time, is the first person known to have descended into the sea in a vessel of any kind.
I called my cousin in Hawaii,
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Corabelle
Posted 2008-12-22 6:15 PM (#22770)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: I called my cousin in Hawaii,

and asked him about the information on his address label - "Victor L. Redding Cmd Usa Ret."

AND, he said, "It means nothing. It was an address label that was sent to him by a fund-raising group, and he has no idea where they got that erroneous information." He used a few 'cause they had pretty pictures on them (there was a poinsettia on the one he sent me). But, because of his blindness he couldn't read the type, until his son came to his house and told him what the label said.

I asked him what rank he retired as. He said, "Chief Warrant Officer." He had been a Chief Electrician's Mate, and put in for a promotion as a Limited Duty Officer. That request was denied, and he said some of the "rejects" such as he, then were offered the rank as Chief Warrant Officer. I sure hope I'm saying this right. I took some notes as he talked.

So - mystery solved! He laughed when I told him that I had asked all you vets what the information on the label meant.

He is a delightful man. Did I tell you that he's 91 years old? Sharp as a tack, as they say. Still living alone, but has a housekeeper clean for him a couple times a week, only because of his blindness. He lives next door (literally) to his church, and his official function is to arrive at the church early, and ring the bell to announce church time. He's very proud of that position, and took us over to see his church. The building itself is interesting, because the walls don't go clear to the ground. Ventilation, I guess.

Cora
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-12-23 3:13 AM (#22778 - in reply to #22770)
COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: I called my cousin in Hawaii,

Great for him!!!!! I'm glad you decided to call him. Let's see--- Hawaii vs South Dakota---- dog-gone if I wouldn't pack a bad and go visiting for a few months. It's just quick plane ride from San Diego to Hawaii don't cha know.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software