Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "We shall never forget that it was our submarines that held the lines against the enemy while our fleets replaced losses and repaired wounds." -- Fleet Admiral Chester Nimitz
Some amazing pictures come out of this snow storm...
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Ric
Posted 2008-12-19 10:00 AM (#22662)

Plankowner

Subject: Some amazing pictures come out of this snow storm...

Photo taken in East Olympia, Wa. out a back window.

Wintertime Wildlife
by aaronamy13 (Subscribe)
Posted on: Dec 18, 2008 at 5:08 PM PST
Channel: Weather

I was walking into my son's room to put away his clothes and out the window I seen two deer walking through the field next to our house. By the time I ran to get my camera I could only get a picture of one, but I thought it was a beautiful picture!

More pictures here: http://www.komonews.com/younews?cid=71571&pg=1

Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-12-19 11:01 AM (#22663 - in reply to #22662)
COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Some amazing pictures come out of this snow storm...

Sure looks pretty, Ric, especially this time of year. Currently, it is 77f here in Charley Town, clear skies and just a hint of a breeze. I'll crank out the awning over the patio later this afternoon and sip a couple of cool ones thinking about all that beautiful snow you and folks up yonder are contending with it.

Edited by Ralph Luther 2008-12-19 11:02 AM
Mac McCoy
Posted 2008-12-20 7:51 AM (#22694 - in reply to #22662)
Senior Crew

That looks COLD. Still a pretty picture. Sure glad I dont have to put up with that stuff. Now that deer would have wound up beside the Mashed potatos and gravy if it were here in South Carolina.
Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2008-12-20 9:54 AM (#22703 - in reply to #22662)
Master and Commander

Ah, lunch on the hoof. Making a smoked Back Strap for supper. Butterfly out the backstrap, coat with a mixture of Kosher salt, soft cream cheese, salad peppers, and garlic powder. Roll up tightly and tie. Coat with black pepper. Wrap completely in bacon. Grill on indirect heat with hickory chips well soaked in apple juice. Don't overcook it. Serve, and jump back to avoid the mob sceen. Cut it into medalians if given the chance.

Edited by Sewer Pipe Snipe 2008-12-20 9:55 AM
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-12-20 2:30 PM (#22715 - in reply to #22703)
COMSUBBBS

Yum-Yum Reminds me of HEEE-Haw and "Hey Grandpa, what's for supper".
Corabelle
Posted 2008-12-20 5:47 PM (#22723 - in reply to #22703)

COMSUBBBS

Poor little deer. Leave him alone!

Cora
Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2008-12-21 5:22 AM (#22731 - in reply to #22662)
Master and Commander

I must presume you are a commenserate vegetarian Cora? Or a devout Hindu? If Deer aren't hunted, Car Deer collisions increase. Shrubbery gets eaten, crops damagedĀ and eventually Blue Tongue takes it's horrible toll. So as long as it isn't wasted, like road kill, I will continue to be a carnivor. Honestly Cora, my Mom thinks I should leave them alone, but I would hate to visit her without some Venison Saurbraten. I believe I'd hear about it for some time to come.
Corabelle
Posted 2008-12-21 12:46 PM (#22740 - in reply to #22731)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Not at all, Walt.

I am a carnivore of U.S. Inspected meat. How does a hunter know whether the deer he just shot did not have one of the diseases that you mentioned? About the shrubbery eaten by deer; perhaps if we didn't continue invading and building homes in their territory, that wouldn't be a problem.

My husband was a hunter. I never did develop a taste for any 'wild' meat - it simply doesn't taste good. I know there are many and various ways to alter the wild taste, but if we didn't shoot them in the first place, we wouldn't have to work so hard trying to disguise that taste. We usually had the venison processed into sausage or salami.

Besides, deer are so pretty. Apparently, my home was built in their domain because for the first year, I had deer grazing in my back yard. When I first got my little dog, one evening when I was letting her outside for the last time that day, I opened the sliding glass door, and there was a deer on my patio, right up next to the house. The deer was startled; I was startled; and Gracie was REALLY startled. She regained her composure quickly, and wanted to chase (or attack) the deer. Fortunately, I still had her on a leash - I pulled her back in and quickly closed the door.

After I planted the first tree in my yard, I had a five-foot fence installed around the back yard. Problem solved. No more deer, even though I loved to sit inside and watch them.

Cora

Edited by Corabelle 2008-12-21 4:57 PM
John Bay
Posted 2008-12-21 2:09 PM (#22743 - in reply to #22740)
Old Salt

Subject: RE: hey Corabelle.

Do you hug your tree?

(Sorry- the opening was just irresistable!)
Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2008-12-21 4:11 PM (#22745 - in reply to #22662)
Master and Commander

Same way we knew if a cow was diseased on the farm. There are signs that are quite obvious. The taste of wild meat is directly related to the way it is handled and processed. I grew up eating it, and never have noticed a wild taste. Differnt from beef I will grant you, but still very good.
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-12-22 2:00 AM (#22750 - in reply to #22745)
COMSUBBBS

Less cholesteral too!
Mac McCoy
Posted 2008-12-22 9:50 AM (#22754 - in reply to #22740)
Senior Crew

Subject: Venison

The parts of the deer that I do not cut into steaks, chops or roasts gets ground. When we have a dinner at church my wife usually makes a Venison Meat Loaf from the ground meat. She gets many compliments on the meat loaf from those that "would never eat a deer". I have told her that she must keep the contents of her meatloaf a secret from those uneducated folks. Venison is better than beef and better for you.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software