Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Traditionally, United States submarines have been named after fish and other marine creatures. One exception was the Navy's first submarine HOLLAND which was named after its inventor, John Philip Holland. Today, ballistic missile submarines are named for famous American patriots, with the newest class, the OHIO class, named after states. The LOS ANGELES class of attack submarines are named for United States cities. The nations news class of submarine, the Virginia class, is also named for US States, making them the capital ships of the navy.
Sub related...sort of...
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2008-12-18 7:45 PM (#22656)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Sub related...sort of...

OK...so let me explain.  First off, I would like to inquire if we have any gun collectors on the board??  Secondly, does anyone know anything about Civil War pistols???  I have two that are family heirlooms.  They belonged to a great-great granduncle, who served in the Civil War in the US Navy on ironclads, specifically, the Passaic.  I also have an original letter that he sent to my great grandmother just prior to his discharge from the Navy.  I am going to attach a photo of the pistols and letter, but am really looking to see if they have any value to them.
Would appreciate anyone's input. 

Thank you.

(100_3206A.jpg)

(100_3210A.jpg)

(100_3201A.jpg)

(100_3209A.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 100_3206A.jpg (26KB - 704 downloads)
Attachments 100_3210A.jpg (42KB - 693 downloads)
Attachments 100_3201A.jpg (27KB - 646 downloads)
Attachments 100_3209A.jpg (40KB - 655 downloads)
Smiley
Posted 2008-12-19 5:20 AM (#22660 - in reply to #22656)
Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: Sub related...sort of...

I am muzzleloader and and also a quasi collector. These pistols look like dueling pistols but they are not a matched set. The one on the bottom appears to be missing
it's lock ( hammer).. is it a cartridge shooter??? And the one on top appears to be a double barrel which was very popular with pocket pistols back then. If there is no mfg info on the pieces then I wouldn't be surprised if these were made by a local gunsmith which was very popular in the 1800s.
They also appear to be percussion cap locks. Many flintlock pistols were converted to P cap during the Civil War.
Patti these pistols plus the fact you have period letters to go with them would most definitly get a good price. Ask around at local gun dealers for bonded collectors who could give you an estimate.
There are many experts in this area of gunsmithing that would be able to give you more info.
They are nice...
Mac McCoy
Posted 2008-12-19 8:00 AM (#22661 - in reply to #22656)
Senior Crew

Civil War items are very collectable and fetch quite a price. Best course of action would be to have them appraised by one or two informed individuals and purchase insurance for them. Value will depend on condition and knowledge of who had them and when. There a number of collectors here in the Charleston area.
John396
Posted 2008-12-19 11:53 AM (#22664 - in reply to #22656)
Old Salt

Patty,
We want to make sure that these WMD do not get into the wrong hands, you know terrorist & etc. Please package them up and send them to me in No. Cal. for safe keeping. Your friend John396
miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2008-12-20 5:01 AM (#22678 - in reply to #22660)

COMSUBBBS

Thank you, guys...for the info.   I was in a  bit of  a "state"  when I took the photos...I had just been watching "Antiques Roadshow"...they had just showed a piece of furniture (a desk and highboy) from the late 1780's that was estimated to be worth in the vicinity of $250,000-$500, 000.  It was made by a furniture maker from NY by the name of Prince, if anyone is familiar with that name.  Anyway, I will take "more" detailed photos when I have a bit of time.  To answer a few of the questions...yes, the top one is a double barrel...and if I read the name correctly, it was made by "Allen & Thurrber" and the other was made by W.W. Marston.  I have no clue as to "where" they were made...the story goes that he, my "uncle" was working as a "merchant marine" and was in Turkey when the US Navy signed him up.  My son-in-law is a hunter, but has never seen the pistols and I think I will ask him if he knows any reputable gunsmiths here in the area.  And NO, JOHN...we will not be "parting" with these lovely pieces (if this is any indication of their worth)...I would rather donate them to a museum that is dedicated to Civil War history...where I know they might be put on display or at least "kept" in good condition.  The "lights may not shine very brightly" in my little world, but when it comes to my family history, I'm a bit "selfish".  I knew from the beginning when
we first got them, that they were a part of history, maybe a small part, but a part of it...and that is one of the reasons I made the inquiry.

Again, thank you, Walt and Mac.
GaryKC
Posted 2008-12-20 6:56 AM (#22693 - in reply to #22656)

COMSUBBBS

Patti, you might want to check this out.

http://www.aaawt.com/html/firearms/f102.html

609EM1
Posted 2008-12-20 7:52 AM (#22695 - in reply to #22656)

Senior Crew

Here is your gun.(The Allen & Thurber bar hammer model)

Hope the link works!!!!

http://www.trocadero.com/101antiques/items/699121/item699121.html

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software