Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "Tenacity Dick, stay with the bastard till he's on the bottom.” -- Mush Morton to Dick O'Kane
Obit Messenger results for 11/18/08.
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Pig
Posted 2008-11-18 10:31 AM (#21615)
Plankowner

Subject: Obit Messenger results for 11/18/08.

- (Star-Ledger)
KAISER, Dr. Richard Alan, 63, of West Orange passed away on November 17, 2008. A native of Newburgh, N.Y., Dr. Kaiser was born December 15, 1944, attended the Newburgh Free Academy High School (Class of 1962) and Dartmouth College (A.B. 1966), followed by Dartmouth Medical School (Class of 1967) and Harvard Medical School (M.D. 1969). Beginning in 1971, he served for two and a half years in the United States Navy, in which he rose to the rank of lieutenant commander aboard the nuclear submarine USS Will Rogers (SSBN-659) and earned his "Dolphins" for navigation. Following residency at the Beth Israel Hospital in Boston, Mass., Dr. Kaiser established a practice in general and pediatric surgery based in Montclair, from which he retired in 2004. He worked principally out of Mountainside Hospital. An avid golfer, Dr. Kaiser also enjoyed serving on the Alumni Council of Dartmouth College and as the District Enrollment Director of the local Dartmouth Alumni Club. His hobbies also included German literature and contract bridge. He is survived by his wife of 40 years, Debra; a daughter, Hilary K. Grove and her husband, Geoffrey Grove; son, David Kaiser and his wife, Tracy Gleason; brother, Samuel and grandchildren, Ellery and Toby Gleason-Kaiser. Funeral services will be held at 1 p.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 19, at Temple Sholom of West Essex, 760 Pompton Ave., Cedar Grove. Arrangements are by Bernheim-Apter-Kreitzman Suburban Funeral Chapel in Livingston. For information call 973-422-0600.In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the Dartmouth College Fund, c/o Gift Recording Office, 6066 Development Office, Dartmouth College, Hanover, N.H. 03755-3555, 1-800-228-1769.

- (Santa Maria Times)
LEMMON, Frank Leroy, 82, died November 15, 2008 after a brief illness. He was born June 2, 1926. Frank was a devoted and loving husband, predeceased by his wife Corrine A. Lemmon after 54 years of marriage. Frank attended Fullerton HS and graduated in 1951 from California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, CA with a BS Degree in Mechanical Engineering. Frank was a WWII veteran, serving in the Pacific theater as a Navy Submariner. In 1986 Frank retired from a 35 year career with Union Oil Company. Frank is survived by his two children Sandy and Brett, their spouses, Jerry and Lora Barbara, five grandsons, Brian, Jeremy & wife Emma, Jason, John and Parker. Frank enjoyed life to the fullest with many friends and activities. In his younger years he enjoyed golf, hunting, fishing, and bowling. In his later years he was dedicated to philanthropic activities at Chumash, and Laughlin, NV. The family held a private service. He will be dearly missed and will always be in our thoughts. He received extraordinary care, attention and sensitivity from his doctors, Marian Hospital and Extended Care Staff. Arrangements are under the care of Dudley-Hoffman Mortuary and Crematory, (805) 922-8463.
Gil Shaddock
Posted 2008-11-18 7:09 PM (#21627 - in reply to #21615)
Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: Obit Messenger results for 11/18/08.

Can someone explain what "Dolphins for Navigation" are?
Beginning in 1971, he served for two and a half years in the United States Navy, in which he rose to the rank of lieutenant commander aboard the nuclear submarine USS Will Rogers (SSBN-659) and earned his "Dolphins" for navigation.
nancy
Posted 2008-11-19 3:08 PM (#21653 - in reply to #21627)

Old Salt

A civilian salutes these two Dolphin Brothers for their service to our country.
Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2008-11-20 10:27 PM (#21687 - in reply to #21615)

Great Sage of the Sea

First, recognize that many of our relatives are not terribly familiar with the Navy or Submarine billets, so they frequently get the details wrong. That's why I have written a first draft of my own Obituary, so when my Final Orders come through, my Obit will be the way I want it, with the important (to me) details right.

I would guess that his final rank was Lcdr, he was Qualified in Submarines, and that he held the position of Navigator on the Will Rogers. I would also guess that he was a Nuke, since by the 1970s the only non-nuke Officer billets on boomers were Supply and Weapons. So he probably spent at least 6 years in the Navy, with 2-1/2 years on the Will Rogers, because unless you are in some really special program, it takes about 5-6 years to make Lcdr.

What really surprised me is that he completed Medical School and had his MD before he joined the Navy, so why Nuke/Subs instead of a Medical program?

Thomas Courtien
Posted 2008-11-21 2:36 AM (#21688 - in reply to #21615)
Master and Commander

I asumed he was the ship's doctor.

On the 657 (1969-1971) our doctor qualified in submarines as an officer and then qualified to stand officer watches.

Rumor had it that he was an OB/Gyn by trade and was in the Navy due to the draft at the time.

Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-11-21 6:24 AM (#21698 - in reply to #21615)
COMSUBBBS

Some Doctors, depending on their specialty, come in the Navy with advanced rank.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software