Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: A submarine, the TURTLE, was employed by the American revolutionary army to attack the British. It was built by David Bushnell at Saybrook, Connecticut, just a few miles from the present site of Electric Boat Division of the General Dynamics Corporation, and the U.S. Naval Submarine Base.
Australia navy off for Christmas
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Coyote
Posted 2008-11-18 7:42 AM (#21611)

Master and Commander

Subject: Australia navy off for Christmas

From the BBC.... http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7734770.stm

Most of Australia's navy is to be given two months off over Christmas as part of a new strategy to cope with crew shortages, the defence minister says.

Joel Fitzgibbon said the extended break was a way of encouraging sailors to stay in the service.

The number of sailors who stay aboard docked ships will be reduced, to make sailors' duties more family-friendly.

Mr Fitzgibbon rejected claims by the opposition that the move would affect national security.

The opposition said the venture was an admission that the government had failed to recruit enough sailors.

'Innovative ways'

Mr Fitzgibbon said: "We're doing a lot of work trying to find new and innovative ways both to retain skilled people and recruit new people."

But David Johnston, the opposition spokesman on defence issues, said the strategy amounted to an admission of government failure.

"I've never seen a defence force charged with the protection of Australia saying we're going to have six-to-eight weeks off over Christmas because we think it's a good thing for the mums and dads," he said.

Naval chiefs have said the move would not leave the country unprotected.

"The stand-down will not impact operations and is to ensure that our people who are not required on operations are able to take a meaningful period of time off and spend time with their families," said Navy Deputy Chief Rear Admiral Davyd Thomas.

The navy has some 12,000 personnel in total - a shortfall of some 2,000.
AtoZ
Posted 2008-11-18 9:09 AM (#21613 - in reply to #21611)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: Australia navy off for Christmas

Back in the 50's New London, at least, observed "Holiday Routine". The boats stayed tied to the piers from Thanksgiving to New Years and the crews were on 4 section liberty [96 off and 24 on]. It was a tough job but somebody had to do it.
JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2008-11-18 10:56 AM (#21616 - in reply to #21613)

Master and Commander

AtoZ - 2008-11-18 4:09 PM

Back in the 50's New London, at least, observed "Holiday Routine". The boats stayed tied to the piers from Thanksgiving to New Years and the crews were on 4 section liberty [96 off and 24 on]. It was a tough job but somebody had to do it.

My minesweep was restricted to 3-section duty to ensure enough personnel were aboard to get underway. Once, the CDO actually did get us underway with the on-duty section, and those who happened to be aboard. We got everything done except casting off the last line, then the drill was cancelled and we re-moored and shut everything down. I was duty RM and had to get on the nets, log in, and draft changeover messages. Very interesting event, and it changed our training schedules to include the entire crew into being more like Submarine quals.

Edited by JrKrup, Skimmer 2008-11-18 10:56 AM
Blue from West Oz
Posted 2008-11-18 3:48 PM (#21624 - in reply to #21611)

Master and Commander

Subject: Not sure what to think....

...about this routine brought in for the men and women of the R.A.N.

I can see that it would be 'nice'.

But I also wonder about the type of person we now have in our navy. Do we have the 'warrior' breed of man, or, do we have the 'namby pamby' type of man that really doesn't want to do anything remotely 'hard'.....like being at sea as an example unless they are being paid bucket loads of money to satisfy their precious mentality that they are worth a lot more money than they really are?

Oh dear, I tore a finger nail, "can I have some time off please?"

Just a thought.

Blue *_*

RCK
Posted 2008-11-18 5:25 PM (#21625 - in reply to #21611)
Master and Commander

In my humble opinion, the men and women that volunteer for duty in subs are still of the same breed that served through the ages. Maybe the leaders have changed but the troops that go to sea have not. I think that goes for the other services as well. What has changed is the support they get from those who live under the protection the military provide. Just my humble opinion.
iPOD
Posted 2008-11-18 7:14 PM (#21628 - in reply to #21624)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Not sure what to think....

Easy there Blue I have both a Son and a Daughter in that Navy and you are way of the mark in "most" cases.
Blue from West Oz
Posted 2008-11-18 7:59 PM (#21630 - in reply to #21628)

Master and Commander

iPOD - 2008-11-19 9:14 AM

Easy there Blue I have both a Son and a Daughter in that Navy and you are way of the mark in "most" cases.

It's not intended as a slight on any one person mate, it's intended as a slight on the system.....so there's no need for me to 'go easy'.

Blue *_*
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-11-19 12:49 AM (#21632 - in reply to #21611)
COMSUBBBS

If you don't have enough personel you have to resort to something.. Having been on a crew with not enough troops to go around, it sure does hurt morale when it comes to getting time off.
C Stafford
Posted 2008-11-19 6:04 AM (#21636 - in reply to #21611)
Senior Crew

I think the Australian and US navies are leaning towards their people being family oriented. The people in charge feel that family men and women will cause less trouble on liberty and also stay in longer because the government will take care of their families.
Everytime I see a news report, I see E-2 and E-3 men and women with a spouse and kids. When you are that young and have a family, you want to be home for the holidays. Single men and women are a little more forgiving on being ar sea over the holidays.
iPOD
Posted 2008-11-19 12:19 PM (#21646 - in reply to #21624)

Master and Commander

Blue from West Oz - 2008-11-19 5:48 AM

But I also wonder about the type of person we now have in our navy. Do we have the 'warrior' breed of man, or, do we have the 'namby pamby' type of man that really doesn't want to do anything remotely 'hard'.....like being at sea as an example unless they are being paid bucket loads of money to satisfy their precious mentality that they are worth a lot more money than they really are?

Oh dear, I tore a finger nail, "can I have some time off please?"

Just a thought.

Blue *_*

Didn't see much about the "System" in your post more an attack on the personnel and their willingness/toughness to do the job now moderate your language or I'll send Meagan around to tear out your colon.

Blue from West Oz
Posted 2008-11-19 12:46 PM (#21647 - in reply to #21646)

Master and Commander

Subject: Well mate....

....you seem to forget that I still know people IN the navy, I hear their perspective as well.

Of course it could just be a matter of 'back in my day....' syndrome, but when I hear their stories, read that crap, it adds up.

Hell, I have already had ex army guys and women give me crap about it....and I KNOW for a fact, some crims will do so today as well.

Like anything, it was a generalisation, please don't send Meagan around, because when she falls madly in love with me, I then would have to deal with Alison kicking my father in law's arse every day

Blue *_*
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software