Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: George Washington Endorsed the use of the first American submarine, David Bushnell's TURTLE, during the Revolution. Following the vessel's attack on a British man-of-war, he discussed the potential use of submarines in a letter to Thomas Jefferson.
Daily Picture - Tuesday 11/18
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

crystal
Posted 2008-11-18 5:31 AM (#21606)

Master and Commander

Subject: Daily Picture - Tuesday 11/18

Honolulu, not in Honolulu, w/ Honolulu City Lights

(figure all that out)

(clickity click)

http://www.usssealion.com/sealion/images/featured_picture.htm

mike652
Posted 2008-11-18 6:19 AM (#21609 - in reply to #21606)
Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: Daily Picture - Tuesday 11/18

Damn you Clear! That song brings up such strong emotions in me. I used to play it when we departed on Wespac and friends knew that. So when we left Hawai’i in 1985, they played a tape of the song for me at the airport just before we boarded the 2300 Continental flight. The only thing they could have done better was to have the Beamers there singing it. I could not see the lights clearly as we took off. OK I admit that I could not see the lights through the tears!
steamboat
Posted 2008-11-18 7:44 AM (#21612 - in reply to #21609)
Master and Commander

Ain't it strange how a song can talk to you so profoundly at some point in your life?
In 1971 I was reporting for my first bona-fide, full-time job with the US Forest Service in West Virginia after graduating from Northern Michigan University. I was driving down alone since my wife was finishing out her teaching contract . Well, when I turned off the PA turnpike at Breesewood, and crossed the WVA state line, I heard for the first time in my life, John Denver singing "Country Roads Take Me Home to the place where I belong, West Virginia Mountain Momma, Take me home." . I will always associate that song with that experience.... the start of a 36 year career working for Uncle Sam.
Steamboat sends
crystal
Posted 2008-11-18 5:38 PM (#21626 - in reply to #21606)

Master and Commander

Hey Mike, don't blame it all on me!  We lived out there on Oahu for 22 years (on the windward side in Kailua)... LOVED Hawaii (and C&K of course) but finally decided to get back to the real world and sold all, packed up and moved sight unseen to the north west (now in the NW of the NW, the Olympic Peninsula of Washington State - truely GOD'S Country)... As beautiful as Hawaii was, this area is even more so in it's own right - don't regret the shift at all!  And the only thing re: Hawaii that we still miss is all of our friends made while living there - but fortunately along with the one daughter still there, we see them fairly often...
mike652
Posted 2008-11-19 5:58 AM (#21635 - in reply to #21626)
Great Sage of the Sea

John – I’m not mad at you. The song was a great selection. It was just another reminder of what I miss and may never see again. My wife and I were married there in 1973. We lived in Waianae the last part of our stay there. I would have retired there, too if I had been there rather than CT when I retired.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software