Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "Without courage, you might as well not be in it. You’ve got to have courage--moral courage, physical courage--and honor. Honor means telling the truth even when it might not be to your advantage" Retired Capt. Charles W. Rush Jr. (85), Navy Cross recipient, when asked to give advice to Chiefs and Junior Officers in today's submarine service.
Why Submarines?
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> How I Got Into SubmarinesMessage format

COB SS-424
Posted 2008-10-22 12:08 PM (#20694)
Subject: Why Submarines?

I might well have been the only Kidd in the 5th grade who knew that he wanted to ride The Boats. I read a book called 'Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, by the French Novelist and Visionary, Jules Verne--and he hooked me, clean through both gills! I knew then that I would join the Navy ASAP and if they would have me, I'd ride Submarines. (Of course Verne didn't say that I'd be hopping gravities and 'pearl diving' the Sanitary Tanks--but even that did not discourage me. I managed to ride 7 Smoke Boats and (wonder of wonders) they even let me be COB of my last one!
Lee Davenport
Posted 2009-03-12 10:41 AM (#24956 - in reply to #20694)
Crew

Subject: RE: Why Submarines?

Quillback (SS424 was my qual boat. I was in the re-commissioning crew in 1953, and qualified that same year..... Are you on our mailing list for reunions?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software