Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Traditionally, United States submarines have been named after fish and other marine creatures. One exception was the Navy's first submarine HOLLAND which was named after its inventor, John Philip Holland. Today, ballistic missile submarines are named for famous American patriots, with the newest class, the OHIO class, named after states. The LOS ANGELES class of attack submarines are named for United States cities. The nations news class of submarine, the Virginia class, is also named for US States, making them the capital ships of the navy.
Question
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Gil
Posted 2024-04-17 10:17 AM (#104733)
Master and Commander

Subject: Question

During my time on the Pickerel in all our communications we used the name "paperhanger".  Was that the case with all boats having a code name, and is that something that stays with a boat for life?  Maybe it's obvious to some, but why not just use our boat's real name in communications.  I always wondered who came up with that name, and was it from day one.  I always thought that was an odd name for us.  Maybe paperhanger was not a code name, but whatever it was why?

Edited by Gil 2024-04-17 10:20 AM
JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2024-04-17 11:02 AM (#104734 - in reply to #104733)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Question

All ships had radio call signs. Example, the USS Excel, my Minesweep had a radio call sign NLPA. This was used in Morse code communications. It also had a radio voice call sign, Debutante Quebec. When entering  ports where communications with the local port authority or Coast Guard was required, then the ship's name was used - such as entering Hong Kong or Santa Barbara California.

There were Morse and voice call signs for ship divisions, such as Mine Division 93, Comindiv 93 Morse was BZIS and the collective ships in the division was DTUD. Each also had a voice call sign but CRS rules. All the Morse call signs could also be encrypted, not using the direct call sign, but by looking in a communications publication, there was a "second column call sign" that would be then encrypted. This second column call sign - classified - would also stay with the ship.

The two call signs stayed with the ship, unless it changed type, example SSN changed to SSGN. Then possibly the two call signs could change, but this is not definite.

Clear as mud?
Runner485
Posted 2024-04-18 6:36 AM (#104736 - in reply to #104734)

COMSUBBBS

Sirago had a call sign which I think was Toro...But maybe since CRS is a major part of my life, it might have been a name i heard in a movie-or not.
The carrier I was on, her call name was wild bull. I know that because I was on the bridge when it was used.
Ric
Posted 2024-04-18 8:13 AM (#104737 - in reply to #104733)

Plankowner

Came up with this on the Cusk Page:

" The Cusk is at 100 feet with Condition Baker confirmed, and a yellow warning smoke having been fired to the surface to warn any nearby ships that the Cusk is getting ready to surface. John Troutman contacts "Sea Power", an Australian frigate and asks them to verify the yellow smoke launched by the Cusk... "...Do you hold my yellow smoke,. Over."

Sea Power answers saying, "...this is Sea Power, Roger yellow, all clear to surface. Over."

In response, Lt. Troutman says, "...this is Standish (the Cusk's call sign), Roger, coming to periscope depth this time."

Finally, Sea Power responds, "This is Sea Power, Roger, out.""

Following is an actual recording of the transmission. (Turn your audio down first): http://usscusk.com/sounds/yellow%20smoke%20clear.mp3

Gil
Posted 2024-04-18 9:05 AM (#104738 - in reply to #104737)
Master and Commander

I wonder who picked the Pickerel's radio name paperhanger, and why.  It seems kind of odd to me that they would use the term that denotes a person who passes bad checks.  A shipmate on my boat from the early sixties does not remember the term paperhanger used back then.  It's ingrained in my mind hearing as I was passing the conn going from lookout to the bow, or stern planes.
PaulR
Posted 2024-04-20 5:02 AM (#104741 - in reply to #104733)

Master and Commander

Sea Robin SS-407 was NKPN & Fireclay.

https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/ref/CallSigns/CallSigns-17.html

JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2024-04-20 2:35 PM (#104742 - in reply to #104741)

Master and Commander

That's a very old book. The Battleship USS California is listed. She was at Pearl during the bombing. So was the USS Vestal.

The USS Hornet, CV-12 is listed. I didn't check the other CV's, Enterprise, Essex, F.D.R., ...

Also noted that there are no more modern ship types: DLG, DDG, CG, PC and others, definitely not the CG(N) Long Beach or any nooks.

My minesweep, USS Excel isn't listed, but other ships names, that were in the same minesweep division are listed, but not as MSO's, but the older steel hulled AMs types. Definitely not the same call letters.

Edited by JrKrup, Skimmer 2024-04-20 2:37 PM
PaulR
Posted 2024-04-21 8:42 AM (#104745 - in reply to #104742)

Master and Commander

https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/ref/CallSigns/index.html#contents

My boat "SS-407" had her keel laid down one month earlier than that publication.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software