Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Beeman Center at Sub Base Pearl Harbor was named for Arthur C Beeman, PhMC aboard the USS AMBERJACK (SS-219) on 4-Feb-43 - He was killed while the sub was engaged in a in gun action with a Japanese ammo ship..
Memory
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Gil
Posted 2023-12-19 9:40 AM (#104416)
Master and Commander

Subject: Memory

Reserve Sub School at Hunters Point in the 60's had a simulator where we'd practice response to emergency drills.  My memory is fading rapidly, but I think it was called the Askania.  We didn't have tower to do 50 and 100 feet ascents.  Instead they'd put us in a recompression chamber (?), and note we would do that when we went Active and would do it when we were in Pearl, or New London.

Did New London have a simulator?  What was it called, and by chance does anybody know who built it?  I wonder what happened to the simulator they had at Hunters Point when they shut down their boot camp and sub school.  Thinking back to '65 that was one very impressive machine to this starry eyed kid.  It would have made a great E ticket at an amusement park.

Later when I went to work in Aerospace Hughes Aircraft was selling a flight simulator for the F -18 fighter.  I had a friend that sold them to Douglas for pilot training. She worked for Hughes in the early 80's and that was her only program.  
Tom McNulty
Posted 2023-12-19 11:19 AM (#104417 - in reply to #104416)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Memory

I have some information about Askania. I worked for a company named GPE Controls (aka Shand & Jurs). In their early day they manufactured Askania Regulators. Part of my sales endeavors was to visit steel mills who had some Askania valve controls. I later found they used those same Askania control devices n WWII boats. They were hydraulic regulators that controlled hydraulic actuators.

During my BESS in Groton I don't believe we had a simulator as described. This was 1963 for me. The main lessons were on WWII boats with modern mods. We made some daily trips on some of the boats at Sub Base where we all took turn at various watch stations operating the Sub.
Ed668
Posted 2023-12-22 6:39 AM (#104424 - in reply to #104416)
Senior Crew

When I was in BESS in 1976 there was a simulator on a motion platform. Our class spent a total of two hours on it. The class instructor was controlling it and put in heavy sea states that made it impossible to maintain a heading or control the trim. This made the training pretty much useless.
Gil
Posted 2023-12-22 9:40 AM (#104425 - in reply to #104416)
Master and Commander

Ed,
Do you remember if the name  was Askania?  I think the Askania at Hunters Point of '65 could do that as well.  Also I don't remember if it was boot camp, or sub school where we were taken to I thought a high platform above a huge swimming plunge.  We were told to jump in and dog paddle for five minutes - I think doing that got you past the Navy swim requirements.  Truth be told I was more nervous about the height of the drop than having to dog paddle the required time.

Edited by Gil 2023-12-23 10:26 AM
C Stafford
Posted 2023-12-22 9:52 AM (#104426 - in reply to #104416)
Senior Crew

San Diego Reserve center in the 60's and 70's had an Askania trainer, if I remember correctly.
I got to play on the current dive trainer on the Bremerton FBM Base many years ago. It was a lot of fun.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software