Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "I believe it is the duty of every man to act as though the fate of the world depends on them. Surely no one man can do it all. But, one man CAN make a difference.” -- Adm. Hymen Rickover
Bowfin
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Gil
Posted 2023-11-27 5:28 PM (#104368)
Master and Commander

Subject: Bowfin

I was stationed at Pearl Harbor, and never once thought of taking the tour and seeing the Bowfin.  I dis take go on the launch and observe the Arizona.

I was looking at the information on the Bowfin, and it says parts of the Bowfin are barred from visitors.  I'm thinking what could be barred other than maybe where the docents make their quarters.

After a while and seeing the Arizona memorial every day it unfortunately lost its perspective to us.  I was around it during the Vietnam Era.  I was impressed to see the New Jersey when it pulled in on its way to Nam, and also impressed the day I saw the Newport News pull in also on its way to Vietnam.  The Newport News was absolutely beautiful and o very pristine white.  The New Jersey was just a BB and that was enough for me.  The Missouri had not been transferred to Pearl yet, but the Newport News was elegant.

Growing up I never wanted to be on subs.  I would go to the penny arcades at the Pike in Long Beach and put all my money in the ship anti aircraft machines pretending to be on at least a cruiser shoot aircraft.  Luckily I chose submarines.  Sorry to say me and my two buddies only asked for subs because of sub pay - we didn't think we could like stinking subs, let alone a smoke boat.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software