Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: One of the first women to submerge in a submarine is believed to have been Clara Barton, founder of the American Red Cross.
Fairbanks
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Runner485
Posted 2020-07-05 6:32 AM (#98025)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Fairbanks

I wrote this a long time ago, to see if I can replicate what I felt about being an lighting off a engine. It's short but I bet some of you old smokeboat snipes can still feel it too...

There is something about lighting off the Fairbanks that remains deeply imbedded in my psyche. As they roar to life, the power, the noise, the smell of diesel exhaust, the burning eyes. A tactile feeling that can only be experienced by being there, in the engineroom.  The crushing roar as the engines seem to get into a harmonic sync and then seem to quiet into a throb. 

Everyone on the boat hears them. The lookouts see the overboard discharge water. Everyone remembers what the roar of the engines meant for them. What comes to your mind when you remember that long ago sound? I know what comes to my mind. I bet it’s the same as you.

Edited by Runner485 2020-07-05 6:34 AM
Tom McNulty
Posted 2020-07-05 7:32 AM (#98026 - in reply to #98025)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Fairbanks

I can only say I understand. At my younger days I was able to go with Dad to the Tugboat he worked on as an oiler. It was diesel driven by an 8 cylinder engine (make unknown to me now). He taught me to get the engine room ready for the days work. I enjoyed every darn noisy hot minute. I still think I could do a fairly good job of "lighting off' the diesel.
Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2020-07-05 7:47 AM (#98027 - in reply to #98025)
Master and Commander

Being on a Nuke, if it wasn't a drill and I heard the diesel start, I knew we had big problems.
Gil
Posted 2020-07-05 11:00 AM (#98028 - in reply to #98025)
Master and Commander

I feel that about most engines.  When I was in my teens we'd ride our Honda 50's to Lions Drag Strip in Long Beach, CA.  I love the loping sound of a AA fueler running on less than 8 cylinders when it was push started, and then the sound when the throttle is goosed and you'd hear it running on all eight in perfect unison.  Same way I'd love to hear our engines running - however being mostly around Oahu I had a hard time tolerating the heat that went with the engines running.  These days I'm even less tolerant of the heat that comes with it.

GaryKC
Posted 2020-07-05 12:48 PM (#98029 - in reply to #98025)

COMSUBBBS

Some of my fondest memories involve standing high in the sails of Odax and Tusk, scanning the horizon through binoculars, in the middle of the Atlantic, with the sounds of 3 1600 horsepower Fairbanks Morse diesels purring aft and below.

Holland Club
Posted 2020-07-06 7:44 PM (#98033 - in reply to #98025)

Master and Commander

For you FM guys:
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS871US871&sxsrf=ALeKk01NoXBqBwWnrf1Lq63294WoVDoTNA:1594089494467&q=fairbanks+morse+38+8-1/8+diesel+engine&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjI5LqQjrrqAhXVUs0KHamHDekQ1QIoBHoECAsQBQ&biw=1189&bih=531&dpr=1.63

for the GM guys:https://utahrails.net/loconotes/pcook-winton.php

Edited by Holland Club 2020-07-06 8:13 PM
Ralph Luther
Posted 2020-07-07 6:12 AM (#98036 - in reply to #98025)
COMSUBBBS

Skinned many knuckles and burned both arms working on those "rock crushers" while on the 484 & 408. Swung a few upper crankshafts to replace cylinder liners and did one lower crankshaft replacement.
Moments to remember...… Those were the days my friend. We thought they'd never end......
Holland Club
Posted 2020-07-08 8:15 AM (#98045 - in reply to #98036)

Master and Commander

Lower crank must have been rough!!

On the Jimmys cylinder head cracks at the exhaust valve ports was the roughest. And of course it had to be an outboard head. An all snipe evolution until back on line.
Won't mention oil leaks.
Runner485
Posted 2020-07-08 8:56 AM (#98046 - in reply to #98026)

COMSUBBBS

Tom,
That must have been a fun time with your dad working the tugs...I used to see them all the time running up and down the East River wondering what it was like to be on one of them...You found out, you lucky kid.
Tom McNulty
Posted 2020-07-08 12:27 PM (#98047 - in reply to #98046)

Master and Commander

The diesel powered tug was one thing but that old steam powered one was a bitch. I had to get used to working the boiler as in shovel coal a lot. Damn shovel held 36 lbs each toss. Hot as hell. By the way that tug boat was a show piece for Vanderbuilt's small fleet. It was very ornate and had a lounge with piano and gold plated faucets. It was sold to Department of Marine & Aviation where it ended up in our baliwick. That tug held the speed record and perhaps still at 19 knots continuous. I almost caused it to roll over at the coaling station on Staten Island. Was loading the Stbd bunkers when I lifted the wrong gate and dumped many tons of coal across the deck. The tug took about a 15 degree list. I don't know who was going to kill me first, the Captain, Chief Engineer, or Dad. My punishment was to relocate all that coal back into the proper bunker. Hernia here I come. I wouldn't trade all those days for anything.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software