Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Coronation ceremonies of Emperor Alexander II of Russia in 1855 were enlivened by a submarine concert. Wilhelm Bauer, a Bavarian inventor, took three musicians under the waters of Kronstadt Harbor in a submarine he had built, where they played appropriate music during the coronation. The music was distinctly heard on the surface.
Pearl Harbor Shooting
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Gil
Posted 2019-12-06 9:48 PM (#96374)
Master and Commander

Subject: Pearl Harbor Shooting

I heard one news outlet describe the shooter as a petty officer armed sentry person.  Anybody know if that just means he could have stood topside watches?

Back in the late 60's most topside watches at Pearl were assigned 45's.  On rare occasion when a Boomer would tie up to the dock for very brief times I'd see one or two topside watches with rifle's, also the seldom seen Boomers were kept secluded from other boats. 

The Halibut was at Pearl most of the time I was, and they were so far away I couldn't make out what their topside watches had for armament.  The Halibut's location was the most isolated of all the Pearl boats, and I think that and the shape of the bow added to its mystic.

On our diesel I don't remember a petty officer ever having to stand topside watch.

Edited by Gil 2019-12-06 10:02 PM
mike652
Posted 2019-12-07 4:30 AM (#96376 - in reply to #96374)
Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: Pearl Harbor Shooting

Gil - 2019-12-07 12:48 AM

I heard one news outlet describe the shooter as a petty officer armed sentry person.  Anybody know if that just means he could have stood topside watches?

How times do change. When I reported aboard my first boat (1971) I cranked with a Second Class. I stood topside as a Petty Office. We even had a First Class (non-qual) stand topside watch. So, yes a Petty Office could have been a topside watch on the Columbia, armed with a 9MM and a M4 (or other M16 variant).

I do remember a San Diego smoke visiting Pearl (in '72). On board was a non-qual First Class that had started MK 113 with me. He went NESEP but failed out and was sent to that boat. He stood topside watch.
Ric
Posted 2019-12-07 3:12 PM (#96386 - in reply to #96374)

Plankowner

Halibut was moored opposite from us one time when we were moored to S10 Pearl. I walked around the basin and asked if I could get a tour. The DO was called topside and shot me a few questions. I pointed to my boat and he had someone take me on a tour. Sadly to this day only two things stand out. One being all the dark formica on a lot of the bulkheads and the immense size of the bow compartment where the missiles use to have been kept. It was giant. The topside watch seemed to be armed as were all were in those days with a .45, I don't remember anyone else or more weapons around.
C Stafford
Posted 2019-12-07 7:58 PM (#96393 - in reply to #96374)
Senior Crew

I was a Reserve and I made 3rd class before going on active duty. I stood topside watches on the Barbel until I got qualified. I wasn't good for anything else.
We had 45's in the 60's. My only training on the 45 was in Reserve sub school at Hunters Point. I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn.
Gil
Posted 2019-12-07 10:15 PM (#96395 - in reply to #96374)
Master and Commander

Chris,
I did the same thing as a Reserve and was E-3 when I went active.  The only thing I did well in my less than stellar career was shoot the 45's and make it through fire or smoke training without falling. We went from Hunters Point to Treasure Island one day for that training.

Edited by Gil 2019-12-09 10:58 AM
Holland Club
Posted 2019-12-08 8:50 PM (#96402 - in reply to #96374)

Master and Commander

I went aboard the 340 boat as an EN2. I was made a throttleman over my first weekend aboard because the boat was shorthanded.
If there was no battery charge on a given night, I might draw a topside watch. I didn't do many. But did get to practice field stripping my 45 in the dark. Never lost any parts. I don't recall even having a clip. Maybe I did.
I made EN1 and got qualified ASAP. Was made Section LPO. I did not put myself on topside watch for sure. My guess is it depends on the availability of troops as to whether a PO stood topside watches.
Never had to mess cook.
Holland Club
Posted 2019-12-08 9:11 PM (#96403 - in reply to #96395)

Master and Commander

Interesting about 45 training. Somebody got the idea of everyone going to the range to shoot. We were told we could ask to go for qualification if we wanted to. I went for it and qualified as Marksman.

Actually always could shoot. Placed 16th out of a couple hundred cops, FBI, game wardens,etc at the power plant where we had to do the training.
Also won the 'turkey Shoot that day. Still have the plaque on my wall.
Actually had an unlocked 12 gauge shotgun and ammo right behind my desk all the time I was a shift superintendent.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software