Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "It's hard sometimes, but as long as we remember them around the campfire, they will live forever." -- Walt Specht
I learned something new today
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Thomas Courtien
Posted 2019-06-20 5:07 AM (#95278)
Master and Commander

Subject: I learned something new today

Mine Sweeping Aircraft:

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2019/06/17/how-fords-flathead-v-8-helped-save-lives-as-an-aerial-minesweeper-during-world-war-ii/

Pedro
Posted 2019-06-20 5:23 PM (#95287 - in reply to #95278)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: I learned something new today

Tom,

A very interesting story that was all new to me; thanks for posting. There was a U.S. built tank, the Sherman, of which there were two versions, one for the U.S. Army and the other for the Allies during WWII. The U.S. model was powered by two flathead Cadillac V8’s and the other by five 6-cylinder Chrysler flathead sixes radially mounted on a common gearbox.

My Dad drove the latter type all over North Africa, Sicily, and Italy when serving with the Royal Armoured Corps 17/21st Lancers. He never said too much about the war to me but he did go into depth with me about the mechanics of this tank. If there had been awards for exams on Sherman tanks at school I would have been top of the class every time.

They were classified as a light battle tank that was fast but their speed dictated a shortage of armour plating and they were out-gunned by the German Panzers. They were fuelled by gasoline (petrol) making them susceptible to explosion when taking a direct hit. British tankers jokingly referred to them as Ronson’s, a brand of popular cigarette lighter akin to that of the U.S. Zippo. But they bravely got on with what they had to get the job done and they did it. Here’s to all of those Sherman tank crews.

Pedro

Edited by Pedro 2019-06-20 5:28 PM
Holland Club
Posted 2019-06-21 6:26 PM (#95291 - in reply to #95287)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: I learned something new today

Thanks for the info on both your dad and the Sherman tank.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software