Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: ENS Sam Hunter, the first submarine casualty of WWII on Dec. 8, 1941. He was attached to Sea Dragon moored next to Sealion. He was killed by shrapnel from the first bomb hit on Sealion penetrating the conning tower of Sea Dragon. The second hit killed 4 men in Sealions Engineroom.
Another Question
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Gil
Posted 2019-06-13 8:02 PM (#95254)
Master and Commander

Subject: Another Question

During my time active duty on the Pickerel from mid '67 to November of '68 I never discussed politics, and never heard anyone discuss it.  My biggest concern as an E-3 was who would have control of the AB radio at Pearl, and cound I take the QM E-4 exam.  Nobody I knew discussed presidents, Vietnam, MLK's assassination, the Pueblo, or Nixon letting us reservists out up to six months early.

I heard about the early outs as topside watch in the early morning while the Pickerel was in dry dock over the radio.  I started screaming in joy and jumping up and down so much I nearly lost my 45 and alarmed my shipmates.  The only comment on this was the next morning at quarters when the XO said with a long face, "I've got good news for some of you, and bad news for others."  He said some of you reservists will be getting out up to six months early, and some of you will have to double and triple up on watches as this is going on. 

Again did any of you guys discuss politics?
Ric
Posted 2019-06-13 8:49 PM (#95255 - in reply to #95254)

Plankowner

Subject: RE: Another Question

What I remember from that time frame was us coming off a patrol just before Christmas, (we thought we'd be out but were called home at the last minute), and were 15 minutes behind Guardfish entering Pearl except she missed the entrance and grounded on the reef.
Next came Pueblo and sitting off Wonson under the ice and breaking off our #2 scope and going to Guam to get a new one.
Then came my first leave in 2 years and hearing about Scorpion on my return.
I then got out off active duty.
Don't remember hearing about the reserves getting out early later that year as I was too busy trying to make money and play on Waikiki.
I returned to Seattle early Dec '68 just in time for snow!
What was the Question?

Holland Club
Posted 2019-06-13 9:27 PM (#95256 - in reply to #95254)

Master and Commander

Short answer, No. Nor union discussion either. Probably too busy arguing with the dudes that either said they made or knew someone who made $125.00 a week.
steamboat
Posted 2019-06-14 5:06 AM (#95258 - in reply to #95254)
Master and Commander

I was an east coast sailor, serving before Viet Nam era. But surely those serving on left coast especially must have discussed the war. Pearl must have some concern about it. but to get back to your point, no I don't recall any outright political discussions while I was in 1960-64. As a grunt 17-21 year old I had no political knowledge or concern other than Belin wall construction, Bay of Pigs, Cuban Missile Crisis and Kennedy assassination. How do those events rank vs. todays' happenings?

We had no access to TV, newspapers or radio with 24 hour news cycle either, that have played a huge role in the polarization of our society today.
Ya'll that served in late 60's must have been aware of daily body counts ,student protests, Jane Fonda and other VN events?

Steamboat sends
Runner485
Posted 2019-06-14 7:39 AM (#95259 - in reply to #95254)

COMSUBBBS

The only political things we discussed was when we had to exercise topside in port. 1960-64, we had what was know in SubRon6 was doing the JFK's.
Which meant that JFK made it mandatory that all naval personnel had to do exercises. So here we were doing jumping jacks, etc. All of the fat asses on board, usually the older guys, who were barely able to squeeze out of the hatches, ended up red faced, gasping for air and ready to pass out from the exertion...

And that was the extent of our political discussions...
Scrivener
Posted 2019-06-14 11:37 AM (#95260 - in reply to #95254)
Senior Crew

Gil, I agree with your observation. I don’t recall any political discussions aboard the Pickerel. Heck, most of us in the Seaman Gang were just barely out of high school. At that age, we had other things on our minds.
Gil
Posted 2019-06-14 11:54 AM (#95261 - in reply to #95254)
Master and Commander

Joe I remember the JFK fitness in high school.  My PE coach was Pete Zamperini, brother of Luis.  PE was fun except when you had Mr. Zamperini.  I hated when he'd come out with a stop watch.  The other coaches would come out with baseballs, basketballs, or football equipment, but not Mr. Zamperini.

If I remember correctly running the mile in under six minutes was required to be considered fit, if you ran it under five minutes Coach Zamperini wanted you to try out for  the varsity track team. Pete taught at Banning High, and Luis taught at Torrance High, maybe eight miles away.  None of us knew the story of the Zamperini's then.
steamboat
Posted 2019-06-15 12:31 PM (#95263 - in reply to #95259)
Master and Commander

Joe, I served same time as you did, stationed at Key West and Norfolk, Tin Cans and Subs. We did not do any PT, not even in Subschool in '62.

Steamboat sends
Ric
Posted 2019-06-15 3:09 PM (#95265 - in reply to #95259)

Plankowner

The only JFK's we ever did was one time while at EB. We used the top deck of the APL that we used as office spaces along with the George Bancroft people.
Everyone lined up and we went through the drill for about an hour and that was the last JFK I ever did. Sometime in mid to late '65 maybe.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software